What's the best way to deal with Visor Fogging?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Speedslip, Oct 21, 2020.

1. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    In a pinch, spit on it.
  2. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use detergents or shampoos I suggest you try to wear the helmet first, before going for a ride. Make sure you have no adverse reactions.
    I am also a dive instructor and if anyone puts shampoo "defog" on my mask (like some crews do on dive boats) i am done for the day. The burning sesation hits after less than 20 seconds and I cannot stand to open my eyes.
    That said, I do know many people that have no problem with using detergents and shampoos.
    beanbandit likes this.
  3. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a timely subject as the weather starts to cool off... I have a fleet of Scorpion helmets, and have found that their anti-fog coating works very well for a few years, then starts to fade away. I've considered a Pinlock, but have heard about issues at night, as jdub describes. Since the cool months also mean commuting in the dark, that has me hesitant. Might try the dishwashing soap trick. Once I'm on the freeway, not a problem, but it becomes an issue in street traffic when you are in friction zone and don't have a free hand to lift the visor.

Thanks for the tips!
  4. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a car windshield, yes. Never on a helmet's plastic shield, and I never heard it was supposed to have anti-fog properties. How well does it work?
  5. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    never seen this.

Nothing else works for me. Might give it a try.
  6. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve used it on the inside of car widows, like you I’ve not tried it on a visor. Although I’ve some scarred ones that it wouldn’t hurt to try.
  7. beanbandit

beanbandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can understand that, that is why, we use baby shampoo. it is not going to affect most peoples masks,
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Similar thing from a paper written by a surgeon for keeping glasses from fogging during surgery with the mask on. They would rinse the glasses in a solution of dish soap and water, sit them aside and let them dry out.

Back in the 70s the trick was to use soft bar soap. Rub a bar of Ivory bar soap on the inside of the shield, then polish it around and in until the shield is buffed clear. I never actually tried it. But now I do a similar thing to keep my glasses from fogging while wearing my mask in class (teacher). I put a drop of dish soap on the inside of my glasses lens, smear it around a bit then smear what is on my finger on the other lens. Then I wipe and lightly buff until clear.

The soap absorbs the moisture that would create the fogging.
    JaySwear likes this.
  9. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wood polish Pledge,,, lemon scented from a spray can ...

Spray the shield then wipe off most of it leaving a very thin coat...

Water will bead off and it will lesson the chances of fogging up...
  10. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I'm in this same situation. My pinlock works great against fog, but in the colder months (when I really need it), it's dark going to work and usually dark on the way home. I get double reflections and halos off oncoming headlights.

I just use some shaving foam on the inside of the visor. Apply liberally, let it set a few minutes, rinse partially, wipe dry. I only have to re-apply a couple times per year.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    Yep, soap film absorbs the moisture so it doesn't fog. In fact when my glasses actually do need retreated it is more where it develops actual liquid moisture, small droplets, not fogging. So I redo them. Glasses with a mask will go a few days. Not done it on a helmet so I can't say for them.
  12. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Stay home.
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    :waysad I don' wanna stay home!
    davenowherejones likes this.
  14. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Pinlock inserts have issues: not great at night, they get dirty and take more time to clean than the face shield, they get scratched, the seal gives up the ghost, etc. However, many (most?) of the premium helmets come with a Pinlock inserts now and that adds to an already high price for the helmet. That tells me that helmet makers look at Pinlock as the best solution to fogging at this time. I didn't know Arai has a new antifog shield so maybe they aren't as happy with Pinlock as they once were.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  15. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with a lot of what you said about them and have come to realize that faceshields and pinlocks are another maintenance item like brake pads or chain/sprockets. I now just swap out my faceshield and pinlock every year so they work well and dont have a lot of scratches and haze.

CharlesLathe likes this.
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I want is a small fan and battery in my helmet, to draw air through the chin vent and over the shield. If I ride my naked bike, I never get fogging when I'm moving because air enters that vent. But it's fucking COLD, so in the fall and winter I ride a bike with more wind protection. And that prevents air from being forced through that vent, and i fog up constantly. Heated shield not really necessary, just outside air blown over the shield works great.

Charles.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  17. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    RainX has two different offerings. One is the standard rainX, which works wonderful on the outside of face shields.
    The other is a RainX anti-fog, meant to be applied to the inside of a windshield. I've used it on a windshield in the past, and while it worked well for a while, eventually it turned into a haze that was somewhat difficult to remove completely. Windex didn't do much for it, I needed a more aggressive glass cleaner. That was decades ago, though. I'd give the RainX anti-fog another try on face shields though, and see how it works.

Charles.
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    I'd give my wife's dish soap a try. Works on the glasses.
  19. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish they would add a dislike button in this forum lol. I use pinlock, but it is not perfect. I find it distorts vision, especially in low light conditions. Oncoming vehicle lights really mess with it. They are also way overpriced for a piece of plastic IMO. Does work for fogging though.
    bomose likes this.
  20. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Already mentioned once but I'll give a strong second.

Been using these and other variations for many years. Installed properly damn near impossible to fog your visor.
    TonyKZ1, Gone in 60 and jdub like this.