What's the best way to deal with Visor Fogging?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Speedslip, Oct 21, 2020.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    How does wearing that in your pants stop the visor fogging?
    markk53, Gone in 60 and HuntWhenever like this.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chainslap, your picture got me to Google Foggy Mask, and it looks like a good solution. Heck, with the current situation, we're always carrying masks with us wherever we go. The Google result for "Foggy Mask" also points to several solutions to keep your Covid mask from fogging your glasses - these solutions look like they might also help with keeping the inside of your visor from fogging as well.
    chainslap likes this.
  3. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Message me for photos. :wink:
  4. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally dug around my old visors, these are from an Arai RXQ.

First picture is just cleaned with a dab of Dawn then cleaned and dried. CDF7E950-49AB-413E-A1A7-755205DAFBDB.jpeg
    The next is with the rainex window spray cleaner on the right side.
    581B9C9D-A4A1-4C5E-8076-5E968BA0716E.jpeg
    Then left with the rainex bottle applied to a towel
    654CE550-8867-4307-B3C6-8B0D5CAB5EE0.jpeg
    Here I breathed on it and took the picture.
    5B4874B6-61D8-4CA1-BBFD-D776139C0665.jpeg
    This is 3 seconds later. The air is moving and humidity is low.
    6FBEEF60-9DA5-43BA-B446-38043FB73FC3.jpeg
    The clarity of the face shield was better on both sides after applying the rainex.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you try putting the Dawn on very light application, then rubbing it over the shield with a tissue or two until clear again? No rinsing, just spreading the dish soap then wiping until just clear, no more than is needed.

I can tell you it works pretty well with a mask when wearing glasses, so I'm thinking it should do pretty well with a helmet shield. Soap rubbed onto the face shield was the trick back when we were running around with Bell Star 90s... the 70s.
    Coma likes this.
  6. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was mainly trying to prove that the Rainex wasn’t going to attack the plastic. I’ll try the Dawn.
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    I kind of figured as much, so I suggested the Dawn. Thanks if you do the test.
  8. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tested dishwashing liquid on the visor of my Scorpion 320, which does not have an anti-fog treatment. I put a few drops on it and rubbed it in with a microfiber this morning, and it did a pretty good job on the ride to work. I shut the visor completely at a long stoplight to test it out, and it fogged a bit, but much less than without it.

Thanks for the tip!
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  9. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had good success with some of the anti-fog wipes in the past, and spit has worked. Generally, though, I just wear a bandana over my nose and mouth in the cold weather. Its big enough that it covers all bases, it directs my breath away from the visor to prebvnt fogging, and it helps keep my face, chin and neck warm.
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Price is certainly right.
  11. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Didn't read all of the replies... In my opinion, the best way to deal with visor fogging is to not ride when it's cold or wet enough that the visor fogs up. In my experience, my visor doesn't fog up when the temperature is above 45 degrees.

But I still ride a little bit when it's colder than that and the only thing that really works for me is to keep the visor cracked open a little bit and open it all the way whenever I'm stopped. I don't ride in such conditions often enough to find a serious solution to the problem.
  12. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    The commuters are talking, feel free to go play with your toys somewhere else now that you are retired.
    Peels, Caballoflaco and SFC_Ren like this.
  13. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    The remarks about visual clarity issues with Pinkocks is surprisingly to me. I've worn glasses since I was 5. I've basically spent my whole life (I'm 40 now) looking through lens'. I am picky about optics. I keep things fresh and perfectly clean as best I can. I can't tolerate any smudges, scratches,etc on any of my visors or goggles. I have never had any complaints about optical clarity through a Pinkock.

If they're not adjusted and seated properly you can see some slight distortion directly at that very edge, but a wrinkle like that will cause the seal to leak and allow fogging, so it needs fixing anyway.

I only run my Pinkock in the winter. I haven't seen where they wear out.
  14. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have issues with fogging between the pinloc and face shield, the pinloc tabs on the visor are cams and can be turned to adjust the pinloc pressure so the PL is sealed all the way around.
    shinyribs likes this.
  15. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Airflow
    My new Shoei GT-Air II has an extra face shield detent that opens just enough to keep the shield clear and large vents. I also use a short windshield so there is good airflow across the shield. If the air is going over your head the vents are not going to work.
    The Shoei GT-Air II also has a Pinlock, the Pinlock works well during the day but blocks too much light at night.

[​IMG]
    Xchemie and AZbiker like this.
  16. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    My only issue with the Pinlock system is light reflection at night time. Clarity is fine in the daytime.
    bomose, AZbiker and jdub like this.
  17. rubber_band

rubber_band Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW RainX has a plastic specific anti-fog formula that most autoparts stores don't carry.
    The standard version, sold everywhere, is not formulated for use on plastics that includes mc helmet visors or windshields.

I've never had very much success w/ anti-fog formulas TBH. The other preps like shampoo or spit work alright...'till they don't and that's usually in the middle of a long ride.

I've used to use the 'pinless' adhesive inserts & they worked better than any of the above but they seem to have fallen off the market (except for some questionable direct from overseas $$ options). According to my local shops, the primary MFG stopped making them this past year.
  18. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Yeah, hearing about the night issues is what really surprised me. I haven't experienced that problem. Lucky me!
    AZbiker likes this.
  19. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pinlock. Like good beer and single malts, this falls into the category of, "Why didn't someone tell me about this earlier!"
    TonyKZ1 and Peels like this.
  20. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm maybe Ill try to smear some laphroaig on my shield.

:photog:photog:photog