What's the best way to deal with Visor Fogging?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Speedslip, Oct 21, 2020.

1. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:
    The paperwork on the pinlock actually says it cuts enough light to be illegal for night use in some places. I keep meaning to check that for myself. (But sitting on the porch wearing my helmet while smearing a Laphroaig Triple Wood over my face sounds like an interesting way to kill an evening, too.)
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Is your Pinlock insert tinted?
  3. macuaig

Oddometer:
    Nope, the standard clear one. Only cuts by a few percent as I recall, but just enough to tip out of legal for night, though I’m not sure where. I’m trying to find an online reference, but I believe the two I got bundled with Shoei Neotec I & II helmets (5 years apart) had tags on them said “not for night use” or similar.

edit: The warning is visible on the papers in a photo from a few posts ago, “Daytime use only.” Message #55 from Rollin’. (I can’t seem to attach an image just now.)
    shinyribs likes this.
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    The Pinlock that came with my Klim Krios is not tinted (?) but it definitely cuts out light.
  5. macuaig

Oddometer:
    F6AB214A-B857-42CA-85D3-61F3F8ED01D1.jpeg
  6. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Best thing I've used to prevent fogging is probably the dual-pane clear face shield for my Bell Star.

Second best was when I had a Scorpion helmet, their shield's anti-fog coating was effective most of the time.

I've used more anti-fog applications than I can count, and most worked, but none lasted long. If I applied it at night, it worked the following morning, but not the day after.
  7. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I blow out through a reusable silicone drinking straw that routes warm moisture laden exaltation out of the helmet. In through the nose, out through the pipe, no fogging!
    Traxx and outbacktm like this.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am some days in through the nose, out through the ass. Those are tough days.
    Hopin and HuntWhenever like this.
  9. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But does it keep your visor from fogging? :hmmmmm
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best no-fog helmet I had was a cheap Rjays adventure helmet. It had little rubber nubbins that stopped the visor closing completely.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Old Shoeis and Arais used to have that were there was a reverse position on the visor lock that would crack the helmet open just a little...sadly that went away with the X-11/RF-1000 series.
    AZbiker likes this.
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    A clear Pinlock visor on a clear face shield blocks light transmission by 20%, 10% for the Pinlock and 10% for the face shield.
    If you wear clear glasses that will block light transmission another 10% and photochromic eyeglass lenses can block an additional 5% when clear.

It all adds up, a clear Pinlock visor on a clear face shield with clear photochromic eyeglasses will block 35% of the light. That's the problem.
  13. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Transitions shield helps with some of the degradation.
  14. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also use the one click on the visor. I find the pinlock a pain to deal with, store etc. Full face motorcycle helmets should have a very small opening just for fogging conditions. It doesn't take much of an opening to clear the fog, but on my Shoei the first click is too much of an opening, but works OK behind a windscreen or a fairing.
    Traxx and Rollin' like this.
  15. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    just returned from a ride w/ my new foggy mask...
    - it works very well.... no fogging on the out-trip, but the mask moved slightly when putting my helmet back on for the return trip & some very very minor fogging did occur.... i have no doubt this will resolve itself after i fidget w/ placement a bit & get used to putting helmet on w/ the mask in place...
    - fitting it properly is a bit fidgeity....
    - the neoprene mask on the cheek pads does make my hjc rpha 70st helmet a bit more difficult to put on, but this is more than made up for a fog-free visor...
    - a possible drawback is that it may be too warm to leave inserted to prevent fogging when riding in coolish spring/summer rains - we'll see...
    - i got the carbon-look style & there was some minor reflection on the sun-shield, so i would recommend getting the black....
    jdub and ZoomerP like this.
  16. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My Arai XD4 has vertical flow across the shield from the forehead vents to the chin. In most cases, that keeps it fog free. It also has detents to allow me to keep it open just a crack, or a half inch.
    Rollin' likes this.