What's the deal with an annual Parks Pass/daily use fees in AB?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GreatWhiteNorth, May 5, 2021.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I read this article talking about a $15 "daily use fee" for Kananaskis Provincial Park:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kananaskis-country-mclean-creek-shaun-peter-alberta-1.6011080

That got me wondering, doesn't Alberta already have a yearly Provincial Parks Pass requirement (or daily use fee) like MB & SK?

Couldn't find anything here: https://albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/visit-our-parks/permit-portal/

Crazy situation, campgrounds busier than ever, and they impose a $15 daily use fee!? They need to build more campgrounds, and maybe expand existing (IMO)!
  2. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw something on the news about a new daily fee to offset the cost of a huge increase in visitors. More accurately, all the garbage that needs to be collected. WTF is wrong with people?
    Anyhoo, I'm sure someone will follow with more details.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Take a look here.
    https://www.alberta.ca/kananaskis-conservation-pass.aspx

The UCP need the general revenues so they can keep enriching their corporate sponsor buddies.
    This is on top of the Crown land camping fee.
    https://www.alberta.ca/public-lands-camping-pass.aspx#:~:text=$20 per person for a,system processing fee per transaction

If they actually use all the funds to better the area including proper enforcement I would be at peace with it. The Alberta current government has yet to show they could manage a garage sale let alone anything larger and more complicated.

image_bb88ccd5-2c25-4475-9b54-fe7f822fd29d_large.jpg
    My new coffee cup. Bought , and made locally.
    rusty43, Cal and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    That's bizarre. So instead of creating a pass that would apply to all AB Provincial Parks (in-line with MB & SK) it's for Kananaskis only. $15/day or $90/year ain't cheap either. Our MB Provincial Parks Pass is $45.50/year (day pass $9.50), and our camping fees are still relatively cheap ($18/nite basic). I see in AB you can pay up to $31 for a basic no power site! Plus $15/day user fee. Expensive camping!

I like the coffee cup. :nod
    Cal and Lycan1 like this.
  5. BjornBsrkr

BjornBsrkr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Ontario!!

The daily use fee for Algonquin Provincial Park is $21. You don’t need to pay the fee to drive through the park, however if you stop anywhere (including the parking lot for the Visitor Centre) without a permit, there is a big fine. The “rangers” aggressively enforce permit rules.

If you are camping in the backcountry or campgrounds, you don’t need a day permit for the length of your stay, however camping (front country) ranges from $42 to $53 (plus HST!) a night.

If you have more than one vehicle at your campsite add in another $15 a day.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Initially the website in Alberta suggested the pass could be linked to two plates, but they have since changed that to one plate. So if you have say a motorcycle and car that you travel into the area with (depending on season) it will cost you for each vehicle. Very much unlike the National or Provincial park pass that as long as you have it with you you're good with the one.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  7. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Our PC government has been making some unpopular changes too. We used to have a plastic parks pass that cost $40, that you could buy at the parks, or Cdn Tire, etc. You could transfer it vehicle to vehicle, and of course share it with friends and family - can't have that! Instead, they partnered with a US company, switched to online purchase, where you print it off yourself - only two vehicle license plates can be associated to that pass. Money grab. It costs an extra $5 ($45 now) which probably goes into the pockets of that US company. Somehow that's progress.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/l...-fees-for-manitoba-park-passes-570292112.html
  8. Gish

Gish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah they really screwed up by doing both the Public lands and Kananaskis fee system. Seems like a huge knee jerk reaction especially the Kananaskis fee in reaction to the massive increase in use over the past two years due to the pandemic. Should have just done a province wide system for all parklands either Provincial or PLUZ and be done with it.
    It makes little sense to basically punish the users of one specific park system.

And nice coffee cup, i'm going to have to get one of those.
    Lycan1 and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
  10. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That the lettering is rainbow makes the mug even better. Seriously.
    The pass for Kcountry is steep but I think they could have stiffened up on the random
    camping fee. The random camps I've seen make the parking lot messes in K country look pretty minor.
    Unfortunately, enforcement outside of a park is next to impossible.
    Night_Wolf and Lycan1 like this.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    During a fire ban last year we were camping on crown in the Oldman River area. I spotted a group within sight of the road early in the morning sitting around a big smoky campfire. I stopped at the fire station not far south of them and reported the infraction. The officers were heading to their pick up as we pulled away. We sat around a black fire ring on a cool evening prior and respected & obeyed the rules. I felt no pity for the ass hats that blatantly flouted the rules. There were huge signs at all the few access points into the areas and therefore no excuses. I'm tired of these idiots and since they won't let me shoot them I'll help make them poorer.

And yes the mug comes in black or rainbow lettering and the rainbow made it all the better considering Kenny and his cult's attitudes to diversity.
    MikeRC likes this.