What's the go-to two person tent these days?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Schmokel, Jun 2, 2019.

1. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a Limelight 3P this year and have done 2, 2-night trips. So far so good. The thing is a castle inside! I got the Cinder/Crocodile color for "blending in" purposes.
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    If the budget allows a bit of flexibility, I'll add another vote for a Nemo offering.
    Plus they're NH based so you could always take a field trip.
    Jim K. likes this.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Huh. Looked it up. Dover looks like? A little bit of a field trip from where I am, but totally worth a ride on the DR. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for that idea.

edit: oh crap! that place! hah! I remember reading that sign as we were walking by to the Children's Museum. No kiddin'!
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Marmot Catalyst 2. Great go to for me. Can get one on sale most anything for around a buck and a quarter. 20170707_204836.jpg
    It's the bright orange one in the rear
  6. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Limelight 2P last year and really like it.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  7. gbmaz

gbmaz Power Newb

Oddometer:
    I picked up a TN-2 last summer after doing some research. Used it for a week in Colorado and was very happy with it and felt roomy for a 6 footer and gear. There are lots of great tent on the market, but the price to feature ratio on the TN-2 worked for me.
  8. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a limelight 2P as well. Great tent. Easy to put up. Free standing also.
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Like my REI Halfdome 2 Plus, but Im finding many folks on ADV are becoming anti REI as they potentially indirectly support groups who are anti-moto bikes in NF, BLM land etc.
    wasproxy, BobcatSig and Snake Oiler like this.
  10. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Told my wife about the Nemo place in Dover. We're going to drive down some time, they're going to hit up the Children's Museum while I take a look at the Nemo facility. I'll have to call to see if they have any tents on display or anything.
    Nytebreed likes this.
  11. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Agnes Blacktail 2 here. Love it for Bikepacking & for Backpacking. Son keeps taking it for his trips. Their cust service is the best I've seen. It is 2 shades of green, so stealth camps well, very waterproof, dual entrys, dual vestibles, came with footprint (will fast pitch without tent body), lots of great features inside also (gear nets, gear loops). Also use their System of Bag & pads, great stuff.

Mike B
    BobcatSig likes this.
  12. ADV24-7

ADV24-7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a Kelty TN3 since they were released years back through a Pro Deal and have used it in many conditions.
    Dry and hot desert nights near Needles, Snow in FlagStaff, World SBK at Laguna, Heavy rains, etc, we have put it through the paces.
    Really nothing to complain about. It’s labeled as a 3 person but my wife finds it tight for us and our Boxer. The boxer sleeps at my feet so not taking up much space.

Easy to set up quickly. The dual vestibules are nice. As others have stated the colored poles make it easy to set up which I have found to be helpful when setting up in the dark.

The fly cover has small triangular windows for viewing and they have started to detach. They were held on by some sort of glue so I’ll need to apply some new adhesive.
  13. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are great tents to reduce bulk and weight.

For those that don't mind a little more weight and bulk compared to those bike packing big agnes tents, but still want high quality for less money, I think the REI tents are a great value. They go on sale pretty frequently too.
  14. RPJR

RPJR n00b

Oddometer:
    I think the Tarptent Double Rainbow is a very cool design for a two man tent. Designed with the backpacker in mind so light, but still made with strong materials (although the silnylon floors are slippery you can always dab some seam sealer on the floor to mitigate it).

Echo the support for the Nemo Losi...I had a 2p that was my car camping tent for a long time and I basically wore it out...I love the vertical end walls. If you are tall, look for vertical end walls, and don't pay attention to floor length because if you have a long floor with inward sloping end walls your functional floor length is greatly reduced, especially if you are on an inflatable mat with a lofty sleeping bag.

The Fjallraven Abisko view seems like a fairly cool design, but at Hilleberg prices. A little on the heavy side. I also think the Slingfin Crossbow would be pretty cool for motorcycle applications where weight is less of a concern than for backpacking. It seems pretty stout. I like the Big Sky Chinook as a free standing exoskeleton type tent, but make sure they have one in stock before you order or you'll be waiting a long time. They are nice tents.

I think something like the Seek Outside Cimarron would be very cool for motorcycle applications if you don't mind a center pole...Lots of cool pyramid/teepee shelters (such as Mountain Laurel Designs, and cheaper but heavier, Luxe Hiking Gear) out there that pack smaller and are lighter than free standing tents.
  15. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Oh, I called up Nemo Equipment. The facility in Dover is only their accounting office. They don't have any tents or products on display. Can't even order anything from there. Have to go online and have it shipped.
  16. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i like my new nemo dagger 2p. LOVE the 2 massive vestibules, it can pack down pretty damn small too.

20190526_195446.jpg
  17. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Marmot Tungsten 2P and love it, but there are a few things that bug me:
    1. The footprint doesn't extend to the edge of the vestibules so I still get dirt in the tent
    2. The guy ropes don't have adjusters and are not reflective
    3. The poles take up too much space when packing
    4. The flysheet is a bit too orange for stealth camping
    5. The way the poles pivot in the middle looks a bit flimsy

So, I've decided to sell mine as I just got hold of a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Bikepack, which solves all of the above problems. It's very much the same kind of tent but the interior includes better storage ideas too. I think it's also lighter but haven't checked the spec. It definitely packs down smaller and not just due to the shorter pole sections.

I haven't used a huge variety of 2-man tents so I'm not that qualified and this is just my opinion, but to me, it's the perfect lightweight 2 person tent for motorcycling when let's face it, most of the time it'll just be me and my gear but on the odd occasion where the magic string/ lucky flip flops work, there'll be room for two.
  18. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  20. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride solo and find that a three person tent is best for me. They generally don't weigh that much more or are much larger packed than a two person.

I currently have an Alps Meramac 3 that I'm happy with. Its poles fold up to 24" long which matters to since that's the width of my camping gear bag so I didn't want to get a tent that packs up longer than that.
    Jim K. likes this.