What's the go-to two person tent these days?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Schmokel, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    The Nallo 3GT vestibule, or part of it. High enough to sit in a Kermit (w/o extensions)

untitled-150010.jpg

(with ground cloth., which extends out to the vestibule). Note: Not a fee-standing tent.
    dpike likes this.
  2. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got to use my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Bikepack in anger at the weekend. It was -2 at night but still and not raining. Where it really stars is how small it packs down thanks to the pole sections being so short, but as I got the footprint as well I found it didn't all go into the carry bag without some pretty serious persuasion and that would be hard if I had very cold fingers, which I did. Or if it was wet, which it was from dew on the outside of the fly.

So, I'm going to ditch the bag it came in and instead, pack it into a compression sack. It'll still pack down to it's same tiny size but it'll just be easier to roll it up and stuff it in there before compressing. I did this with my Marmot Tungsten 2P, too and always carry extra compression bags for clothes, laundry, wet stuff etc.

This is my go-to tent now, for bike camping. Expensive, yes. Worth it? I think so.
  3. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with the marmot? I was thinking of getting a tungsten 3p.
  4. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with the regular Tungsten 3P. Great tent, near vertical walls. The only issue I have is that the poles are long 22 inches I think. The tent pack size is also significant.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    My original plan was the Tungsten 2P. As for the poles, I may pack them up top and stuff my tent into my saddle bags if I have to.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  6. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that. Just get a pole bag and throw them on top of your panniers.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I haven't packed my bike yet for camp mode, but its an option that I may use.
  8. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There' snothing wrong with the Marmot - it's an outstanding tent, but for packing purposes I wanted the poles to be shorter and the tent pack down smaller too. i also prefer the footprint on the BA that covers both vestibules.

It's not the case of the marmot having something wrong with it; rather it's a case of the BA being even better. If cost were a significant factor I'd settle for the Marmot everyday.
  9. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    canvas? Did this happen in 1846? LOL
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My MSR Elixer and North Face Talus have I believe 16-17 in poles. Even with those fitting easily in most cases/panniers, I still pack them separate from the tent.
    I can then compress the tent to volleyball size.

11. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like everybody I was looking for the “perfect” tent. Started out with the Redverz Solo. Not being very bright I found it too time consuming to put up and take down.:-) AAD16399-56DE-4D04-B003-44AA8132BFFC.jpeg 7FA8BB32-4EE5-4ECB-B064-B7984C488A49.jpeg A40A792F-C7B2-436D-842C-6FB6D1F78248.jpeg A5DC9103-6E5F-49E9-BC6F-43C5CEEBC32B.jpeg 5CAEBB1F-7E5C-49D5-821D-B3DBD950B650.jpeg

A friend told me that he really liked his Mountainsmith tent and especially the warranty. I was looking for something with a little headroom and found the Mountainsmith Mountain dome 3 season 2P with a 51” peak height.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmit...ocphy=9033663&hvtargid=pla-351053046384&psc=1

I would have preferred the 3P, but not at almost double the price.
    This is not the lightest tent as I measured the pack weight at 7.2lbs. The poles are a relatively short 15 1/2 inches.
    I rolled the tent down to 6” x 16” without much effort.

I am happy that my Alps Mountaineering ready light cot can be assembled outside of the tent and then easily fit thru the large doors. With the cot inside there should be plenty to space for my gear as I ride solo. Anyway, for what it is worth, another alternative.
    theloop likes this.
  12. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling old these days... this one is starting to look better and better whether 2-up or on my own :D

holiday-inn-express.jpg
  13. -clinton-

-clinton- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven’t read the entire tread but if no one has mentioned it. Check out hyke and bike.com. Great gear. Great guys. Innovative products. I have the 2 person in blue. The one pole set up is the bomb.
    Helibee likes this.
  14. londen

londen Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. airpump

airpump n00b

Oddometer:
    I use a Half Dome 2 Plus tent which is sort of a 2 1/2 person tent from REI Co-op. It's roomy enough to accommodate my boots, helmet, Aerostich, etc. and it has 2 doors and 2 vestibules. It appears to have been redesigned somewhat since I bought mine. I'd buy it again. https://www.rei.com/product/128692/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-plus-tent
    Bikerboy and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  16. cwvandy

cwvandy cwvandy

Oddometer:
    Not cheap, but best vestibule of any two person tent I've tried. Light (3 lbs, 13 oz), small and easy to set up. Been through a dozen tents trying to get best balance and this is a winner. https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Hotel-HV-UL-2

THVCH217_Copper%20Hotel%20HV%20UL%202_TentWithVestibule_Open-010.jpg
  17. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    My Exped Gemini II is great. Quite a bit of room inside for as small as it packs up. I like the fact that it has 4 very short poles of equal length. It is easy to set up.

I liked my old REI Halfdome as well but the quality of the REI tents seems to have diminished in recent years. The Exped is top notch. Plus REI is becoming more and more hostile to motorized offroading activities.
  18. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
  19. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    Concur .... My 2.0 still hanging in there.

Have the 3.2 new in the box when the other finally gives it up .
  20. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    I love my Mira III and I just ordered the add on Outer Space vestibule. Super light, easy and fast to pitch, and with the Outer Space it'll have a ton of room to hang out in when I get caught in a storm.

[​IMG]