1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What's the opposite of ADV? RV.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by RedShift42, Oct 4, 2013.

1. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Oddometer:
    So it seems Dad has been out-voted and the family will be spending several days in a rented RV this weekend (or, a &^%$#! RV, as we call them May-Sept on the Sterling Hwy), for my girl's 6th birthday.

I'm embarrassed to admit how little I know about where to go/what to see on our road system, especially this time of year. So I'm unsure where to spend our 3rd night. Night #2 we'll be in Seward; any suggestions of an interesting place somewhere between there and Glenallen or Cantwell-ish? While this trip is primarily for the kids, semi-remote locations could be fine too and might help justify this ridiculous conveyance.

-Eric.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    not too many places to get off the highway without doing more miles.
    the Denali hiway is nice but you roll the dice with the weather & pretty sure the insurance is no good on a rental there, even when it's not closed for the winter.

only thing I can think of up that way is the giant gravel bar on the Big Su. just off the Parks hiway. theres a few spots you could pull off & camp where the road crosses the Chulitna farther up.... farther is also colder & freezing at night pretty sure

Honilulu creek is an interesting spot, but no real facilities, right on the road though

closer to home is Captain Cook Park in north Kenai... but then you guys see the beech all the time anyway, so may not be that big a thrill other than there a lot of cool rocks there.

Cooper Lake might be good... throw in a ride to Hope
  3. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Rental RV ?
    McCarthy is a MUST.
    Rolling history lesson, beautiful scenery, surprisingly close to Canada, and you cross the entire Copper River valley on the way there.
    Skip Seward for this adventure, , you can go there any afternoon in the family car... An RV with sleeping quarters allows a more extended venture, take full advantage..
    McCarthy is around 13 hours from Homer.

Pro-Tip for road travel with toddlers: Begin the journey at 0200 Hours, that way the little ones sleep for the first 6 hours or so, giving you a nice long head start before breakfast, and you get 300 'free' miles from home before the " are we there yet ? " starts.
  4. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if it's for the kids don't forget about places like the Anchorage Zoo, the Wildlife Conservation Center near Portage and even the Muskox Farm in Palmer. The Muskox farm is open Friday, Saturday, Sunday since they just had new calf born. There's also the Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage that's kinda cool. Maybe part of the day in the big city and camp in Girdwood or Portage on the way back or camp in the Valley, lots of choices. Just throwing out ideas. Have fun! :1drink
  5. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to watch the Robbin Williams movie RV before you go.

Can you get a hitch hauler for it and bring your bike with!
  6. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Oddometer:
    Thanx for all the suggestions. Not sure where we'll wind up yet-- got your ideas jotted down and stuck inside the cover of the Gazetteer.

I like the idea of utilizing the the vehicles comfort-range, but this trip is [mostly] for the kids-- and, to a 6yo girl, things like the Sea Life Center win out against some broken down old mine any day.
    However, next year when I get the Denali road lottery...
  7. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    I haven't camped there for several years but its a nice spot, sort of between the points you were after. I was always in a tent but I think it would work with an RV. Probably be pretty quiet this time of year.