What's the REAL story behind KTM saying no to Long Way Round?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zolo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Rixxy

Rixxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have met Ewan who came across as a nice bloke. I have also met charlie 3 times and each time thought he was a cock, i have heard that he was pretty much broke and a failed actor before LWR but tbh he just does not comes across as a humble well traveled person which so many RTW travelers or to be honest bikers do in general!

I might be wrong but its just how he came across!

Shame really but there you go!
  2. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    I've seen this. It's marvelous. This group's entire operating budget was less than it took to stock the espresso machine in C&E's garage.
  3. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... an SE

[​IMG]

We had to lift the others out too... XT 600, DRZ400 and Tenere
  4. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    I had an opportunity to talk to a KTM person at a trade show about nine moths ago. There was a Belstaff exhibit across from them that had Ewan/Charley posters all over the place. I actually really liked LWR but own a KTM. I mentioned the KTM snub to him and he relied "heads are still rolling within KTM over that. Every doctor and dentist in North America ran out and bought a GSA after LWR". Interesting bit of perspective.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    the one thing being overlooked here is the Rusky who was sent by KTM to check out the proposed route the lads were taking.....as I recall he wasn't to enthusiastic....might also have swayed things for KTM :lurk
  6. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate enought to visit Mattighofen last year and was well received one to one by a young chap from marketing. LWR came up during the conversation and he also told me that it is recognised as one of their biggest ever marketing gaffes, and that heads did roll.

7. japslap

japslap Japslap

Oddometer:
    KTM just messed up plain and simple,they didnt think they could make it so didnt participate,shame,i have a 990 and have owned both BMW adventure bikes and the KTM would have done the job no probs imho.....Maybe its time for KTM to do a big high profile trip.......
  8. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I have a reallly hard time believing this. "Went through" must count bikes they scratched up in training and bikes being used for marketing purposes now.

They only rode about 20,000 miles and a huge chunk of that was on paved roads. Sure most of the show was the interesting off road stuff, but most of the trip was on roads. With all the tails of GS with hundreds of thousands of miles on them around the world I can't imagine 3 guys using up 4 each in 20k miles.
  9. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you watch the video look at the tyres the day before they have a day off to site see and then the tyres when they set off in the morning, road to TCK and then back to road the next time they site see, never saw them doing any tyre changes and when the bikes braking get affected after the welding how/who fixed it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  10. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be bullshit, supposedly from someone who was involved. If I was BMW, a back up bike or two, three four wouldn&#8217;t be that farfetched. Point is you can fix any bike in the field if you have the time, or buy another bike. It wouldn&#8217;t surprise me if BMW had strategically shipped other bikes to major stops, so if any major problems with their current bikes they could be swopped and then worked on before being shipped to other cities on route, and nobody&#8217;s nun the wiser. I&#8217;ve talk to guys with over 250k on their GS&#8217;s and also knock a jug off.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

What annoys me about the films they made is the editing in full Hollywood style, fact is they had backup trucks, medics, a whole logistics team including BMW. The fact is a multimillionaire actor reviving his chum&#8217;s career (son of a famous Director), were just always a sat phones call away from helicopter support. <o:p></o:p>
  11. SixDays02

SixDays02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Every year the croatian coast, as one of the still "undiscovered" tourist destinations, gets crowded with tourists. There is on every corner a GS1200. Multiple ones can be spotted in front of regular tourist traps. You'll find them in swarms on the highways.

Now, just imagine how it would look like if LWR had KTMs. It would be sad, very sad to see swarms of 990s on 100% street tires running down perfectly smooth roads.

Having said that, i confess that, in a very selfish way, i'm very happy that someone in KTM has made this marketing gaffe. I'm perfectly happy to see only one, maybe two, KTMs a year and give them a big wave.
    bananu7 and Benduro like this.
  12. BoydRIDER

BoydRIDER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second this!

I will hold my hand up to the fact that after LWR I wanted a GS, but at the time I could not finance it.... When things improved and I started looking for my new bike there were thousands of GS's to choose from and just as many going down the road.

I am now glad to own a 990 and have only seen one other on the road as I have been riding... I like that.

KTM's are just different.
  13. Sandman 950

Sandman 950 .

Oddometer:
    KTM said no because they didn't want every KTM they'd sell to be ridden around with their EMPTY panniers left on, even when they're popping out to cafe...shop... visiting friends...a ride on Sunday morning etc like ALL the ones i see around here!

You may need the 'tins' on for Round The World....surely not Round The Block!!! :huh

It sure keeps the kids entertained in the car with the 'He's got his tins on' game!

Sorry, what was the original question....................?
  14. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worth a watch too.

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZsThRs3RwhA?feature=player_embedded" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  15. Crazy_Dave

Crazy_Dave Back'in it in

Oddometer:
    I was just the opposite. After seeing what a PITA it was trying to ride those behemoths off road I thought, not me, not ever.
    faysal and Benduro like this.
  16. Pampera

Pampera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually read the Long Way Round book, and in it they said that they started off going to KTM.

KTM would loan them singles, but not twins, as they didn't think C&E would be able to cope with them, plus the design was still untried.

BMW came up with the big bikes plus big bucks plus tech support package which swung it for LWR Inc.

So, who gained. Well the blokes from KTM must have laughed their socks off when E&C both fell off while trying to fill up with petrol in London, and then couldn't pick their 1/2 tonne bikes back up. Then laughed again when the camera bike broke down and the 1950s Russian 2-stroke road bike coped with the rough terrain bettter than the WunderWagens.

But the bikes looked the part on the telly, and loads of rich middle-aged men traded in their R1s etc for something that was a bit more comfortable and it turned out to be great publicity for BMW and motorcycling generally so everyone gained.

A few years ago when Long Way Down was on the telly I was outside the local BM dealer on my 950 (been there to get parts for my GasGas, as it's also a GG dealer) when a small man in the the BM riding gear started plucking at my sleeve and giving me his unsolicited opinion as to how KTM had really missed a trick with their marketing (like I give a sh1t about BMW's marketing), and look at all the GS's that had been sold thanks to E&C.

I looked around at the forecourt full of late model, low miles GSs and said: "Oh yes, and it looks like their owners couldn't ride them either."

I then got on my bike and fell in a heap on the floor. I'd left the disc lock on!

(Actually that last bit isn't true, I just made up the bit about the disc lock and falling over so any BM riders reading this don't think I'm full of myself).
  17. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl Awesome and so true !!!
    Every GSA rider (I know of) does this. I have seen millions of GSA's but not one GSA without "tins on". I even can't imagine how a GSA without tins looks like (except images provided by google).

18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I would have loved to see how the 950 would have held up, just to satisfy my curiosity.

But at that stage in production, it would have been embarrassing to watch if the KTM bikes were breaking down with fuel cannister backups, clutch slave issues, overheating, water pump issues, fuel pump issues... all those little nagging flaws that have gotten well sorted out by now. I think that could have been the best thing KTM did was to pass on that situation.

I'd imagine parts would have been quite difficult to get from KTM all the way into Mongolia?

It's hard to tell what parts could be back ordered and that could cause a long delay mid stream. And with a camera crew attached that's a lot of loss in down time.

But as far as the LWR production, I liked the production value on it. I can see how someone might want to see more of a gritty documentary approach... but it worked for me.
    outbacktm and ThirtyOne like this.
  19. McGoo

McGoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is Colebatch when you need him? I remember him alluding to having real knowledge about this question at one stage.

One thing I have never been able to figure out is why did Ewan, who by that stage was a fairly successful actor, need to rely on handouts from a motorbike manufacturer? If he wasn't involved then the project would have had a hell of a time getting free coffee, never mind a factory support deal. But at the same time, I find it hard to believe he couldn't have financed the whole project with petty cash.

As for BMW vs KTM, if I was KTM and two random guys with marginal skills asked me if they could make a mockumentary where they publicised their poor riding and maintenance skills to the world, I wouldn't jump at the chance of them using my bikes. Especially if those bikes were as yet unproven.

I like LWR, but only when I can ignore the Oprah/Dr Phil moments of emotional struggle blah blah rubbish. And I wish they covered more of the logistics of the trip as opposed to flying around looking at bears in AK. I read somewhere that they jumped on a train in Russia for a few thousand kms, shame they left bits like that out.
    Benduro and enduro16 like this.
  20. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    Bingo.