What's the REAL story behind KTM saying no to Long Way Round?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zolo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    Read the book it's not so whiney.
    There's some excellent photography in there too.
  2. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Think I will buy a copy in ibooks and read it on the flight home from SEMA.
  3. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whether KTM's decision NOT to participate was a marketing blunder or not is a matter of opinion; however, by almost any measure, LWR was a marketing coup for BMW. I would be willing to bet that a significant percentage of their GS sales are a direct result of LWR. Don't forget, a poser's money is just as valuable as that of a "true" adventurer.

Furthermore, the "Ready to Race" mantra is BS when it comes to the twins. In their production form, the 950/990s are certainly designed for the more serious off-pavement riders, but they are NOT anywhere near being race bikes to the same extent as their single cylinder counterparts.

Finally, KTM has its head up its ass for not offering a 690 Adventure, especially in light of the "Rallye" image they have been so careful in cultivating through the years. Talk about pissing away brand equity...
  4. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the show helped KTM quite a bit. There are people that saw how much Charlie wanted the KTM! That probably motivated them to at least go look for a KTM to see what all the fuss was about!

The growth of the adventure bike market due to the film also probably brought buyers into KTM showrooms.
  5. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    To the question of "why", I have heard from reliable sources that KTM did not want to provide all that was being requested for sponsorship in addition to EM ultimately wanted BMW.

What I see is KTM making a judgement call on if two riders would be capable of making the trip more than if the bikes could make it through editing all the videos to make it look like the original bikes made the whole trip, that can be created through the story... as we all know, film is truth, right?

I think that there was entirely too much whining but hey, its drama

I also have been told that Claudio is not interested in any way in performing another trip video... then get reamed for crashing.. :huh
  6. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly!!!
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    what ever the truth was, the lasting image everyone remembers is charlie ripping the KTM poster of the wall and shreading it. i have plenty of non-motorcycle friends who no nothing of bikes (but know i do) but loved watching that series. i've been asked, is KTM a bad motorcycle company? i answer, no the opposite, but they did not believe in those guys. plus asked also, those BMW have to be great motorcycle to make it around the world right? 2 guys flat out said, oh sounds like i should buy a BMW and not a KTM.

hasn't KTM been struggling off and on while BMW is surging forward?
    not saying this was the cause but KTM IMO made a bad choice by saying no.

i know you guys love your bikes to death and you'll argue with me otherwise.
    i have not hate for KTM as other posters use the word, just real world observations.
    i think KTM builds kick-ass motorcycles.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    for every one KTM ADV is see 5+ GS. i saw that in the US and even more so here in mexico.

there are many times more casual adv/street riders than true hardcore ones and BMW achieved cult status with the casual/street crowd so they're winning.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i would suspect they had 2 sets of wheels per bike for backup sake in the support van. they probably just switched wheels when needed. if i had a support van i'd do the same thing.
  10. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

Honestly forgot all about that. All I really remember is how badly he wanted KTMs and how pissed he was to HAVE to SETTLE for a BMW.

I would image that has to do more with other factors than the "Long Way Round" show. BMW has been building road bikes for significantly longer and has a much larger dealer network. So availability alone may contribute to those numbers.
  11. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LWR, I can honestly say that if I (and my ex wife) had not watched it that I would not have a 990 in my garage right now. The programme showed that "normal" people can have adventures like that.

Why did I buy a KTM, I come from a dirt bike background and to me I could not think of a better bike that I would want (and still think that way).

It did not help that the BMW dealer that I emailed totally ignored my request for a brochure whereas the KTM dealer sent me one and also let me know that they had a 990 for me to test ride.
    Benduro likes this.
  12. ALLAWYN

ALLAWYN Letsitle

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. Mark0474

Mark0474 Adventurist at heart

Oddometer:
    I agree with what a lot of you are saying, such as Young1, it may have been a bad decision for KTM but at the end of the day BMW stepped in and that was the end of that.

For me, I loved LWR, yes there were a few parts you just fast forwarded past, or thought, hang on .... how did they do this or that! For me it was all about the adventure, the story and the friendship.

I didnt care that they put the bikes on a train, it was all part of the journey. We would all like to do some kind of trip like the road of bones but it may not be possible for whatever reason.

I went to a bike show and looked at the GS and thought wow, thats a big big bike but I liked the dream it sold! I then went to the KTM stand and fell in love with the 950 Adventure, it had every bell and whistle and it rocked my boat! I had to have one.

At 32 years old I figured I wasnt old enough for a BMW but could handle the KTM. I did buy one and still have it to this day. I havent been round the world but I have had a lot of fun and even though I dont get to ride it very often, I still wont part with it. I still have the dream of travelling off into the distance and seeing where the road takes me.

LWR just opened everyones eyes to bike travels and the whole adventure bike scene. KTM were still finding their feet with big bikes at the time and BMW had a proven track record. Now both companies appeal to different markets but the roads are there for us all to go and explore, no mater what you ride.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to email them to remind them they didn't get all the way round 'cause they stopped in NYC and still had about 2000 miles to get to the most easterly point in North America.

I own 2 ktm's and one beemer and I do like the niche of what I ride
  15. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    I find it interesting that they left in the I want the KTM tantrum. If BMW had any hand in editing why would they leave in charlies rant and then the statement about not wanting to ride around the world on that tank......or something to that effect. I have a orange 2006 950 ADV and I have had a lot of random people come up and ask is that the bike they wanted for LWR? I think its the height of marketing excellence to not spend a dime or make any effort for a movie and still have people years later talking about them because of that movie. The first episode of a series culminates in a absolute scream fest about wanting to ride a KTM AND NOT A BMW! I LOVE THAT! The movie that sells all the dentists GS's is telling them first to not buy it.

You cannot buy that kind of publicity! kudos to KTM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I really enjoyed LWR, LWD, and Race to Dakar. However I have low expectations of TV and easily entertained. Personally I would have taken a KTM 640 ADV. Yes in the end I think KTM screwed up.
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Two actors walk into a motorcycle company and say 'give us free motorcycles, tons of money, and support'. The company, like any sane person would, says beat it. Only sensible choice. The fact that LWR had such a massive impact on adventure motorcycle sales couldn't have been predicted. Tough to look back at the missed opportunity though.
    Benduro likes this.
  17. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

Strange way to put it!:huh. From a business perspective it's "A production company approached us with a marketing opportunity" An opportunity featuring two higher profile actors that are motorcycle enthusiasts. An opportunity to showcase our newest product offering directly to our target market!

Probably an opportunity that had a relatively low cost per exposure compared to other forms of advertising. Cost a couple of bikes that you make and a little coin. :freaky
  18. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    So on the recommendation of someone in this thread I bought the LWD book on iBooks.

It paints a much more detailed picture of the bike choice and how it was made.

KTM, Honda and BMW were all part of the process.

Due to KTMs advisor they didn't think these guys would succeed, like the movie eludes to but in much more detail.

BMW took the attitude that we would never know until they tried, and if they failed, so what, it was worth the try.
  19. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I disagree. It could have been predicted and in fact I bet all of the major manufacturers have people on staff whose job is specifically to NOT miss these predictions. It does happen though.
  20. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even though I’m glad in a way, KTM dropped a bollock. Even Snap-On gave them 10 grand’s worth of tools for two minutes exposure.