What's the REAL story behind KTM saying no to Long Way Round?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zolo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

I ouwld agree, and think it is exactly why KTM said "no" to them in the first palce.
  2. MatthewC

MatthewC n00b

Oddometer:
    Let's be fair to Charley and Ewan. They had a dram to ride around the world. They knew they weren't the first. They did it because of the adventure bike movement which effectively made the whole thing possible for them.

They don't claim or have ever claimed to be innovators. They wanted to ride around the world. Decided to film it and tried to lever that to get as many free goodies as possible. If I had the contacts they did in the film production industry I would have done the same. I would definitely want KTM and as such I would have said to KTM what do I need to do to get you to sponsor me a bike. I would then have started negotiating from there.

As it was I got the impression Ewan was relieved that KTM pulled out on them he preferred the BMW.

Both bikes are great. KTM lost an opportunity. Who cares. I got mine a Dakar winning design and the price was not inflated by excessive demand. One day when I'm older I might add a GS to the stable.
    :bubba
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had bought a new GS and he & a buddy were planning the same kind of game as they both worked in the film industry and know how to create saleable pilot ideas. Charlie and Ewan beat them to the punch by about 6 months or a year
  4. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to know exact figures for the monies raised for charities, not forgetting that 20 person team were all on salary and that warehouse had to be paid for.
    If they made a considerable sum for the charities I think it renders the hows and whys insignificant.
  5. number13

number13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ready to Race?
    Thats funny. 4 KTM/Berg bikes i have gotten to race cost me another $1000 on each bike to be READY to Race.:rofl
    And that does not include the $500 more for a steering stabilizer.

Ready to Race? How about not even ready to ride? My 09 950SER cost another $2500 to be ready to ride offroad.
    Ready to race my ass. And that is cost for parts, never mind what labor might have cost to put all that stuff on.:deal

A lot of butthurt ballsucking KTM'ers in this thread.
    Looking back, did KTM drop the ball on LWR as SpeedDaddy asked above?

Yes. DOH!
    Make up all the reasons that make you feel better about your demigod KTM saying No to LWR, but without a doubt they made a bad decision that day.

i do not bleed any color, but as long as that not ready to race Berg keeps me on the podium, i will continue to ride KTM.
    As there is no other bike like the 950SER, i will never regret the extra $2500 in PARTS that were necessary to make it ready to ride, let alone race.
  6. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Butthurt ballsuckers? Tough words from a guy who can't suck it up and ride a stock bike.

I have definately done things and spent moneu on my Adv. to make it more fun to ride off-road, but I never hesitated to ride (or race) it off-road before that.

How did you ever ride before the advent of the $500 steering stabilizer? Must have been scary. I must be getting old because I can clearly remember when guys just sacked up and rode the bike as it was.
    Benduro likes this.
  7. Duke78

Duke78 Freude am Fahren

Oddometer:

Well Said!!! :1drink
  8. number13

Oddometer:
    no steering stabilizer on my 950 and i am sure i ride tougher singletrack in the Rockies on it that you can only think about, obviously, could be very wrong about that :)
    Try racing a ktm or berg DIRTBIKE in the mountains with no stabilzer. Yeah, you can do it but after miles of roots, rocks and fallen trees, it gets old...real quick. And never winning or finishing top ten might force you to spend some money.
    As i said, the claim of ready to race is a joke for anyone that actually races. Better skid plates, rad guards, fan, suspension, and gearing (except the Berg which is done right at 13/52), 3 way position mapping switch, barkbusters as well as cutting down the bars is mandatory for any racer up here. Steering stabilzr being a need for 4strokes and 2 smoker 300's.
    i see in your sig you list a 150 dirtbike. Your wife's i presume?
    As for the 950? Barkbusters, tires, canisterectomy, carb set up, mechanical fuel pump, regearing are a necessary cost to riding 'real' offroad.
    There is so much blind love for Orange riders that probably never see any offroad except for logging roads. KTM missed out when they denied the chance to do LWR.
    But, go ahead and keep telling yourself how great KTM was/is. Is it great? Absolutely, but it sure as hell not ready to race...as is.
    Every bike manufacturer i guess is 'ready to race' by your standards.
  9. number13

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, i did ride the 950 stock in Moab. It never ran 'right'. Here was the 'ready to race' bike's parts...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Look, I don't want to get into a pissing match with you over this because it really doesn't matter. I'm not trying to tell you, me, or anyone else that KTM is the best or superior, But I do want to address your 950 set-up for 'real' offorad.

Did you know that 20 or so years ago there were no barkbusters? But we managed, As for the tires, the bike is sold as a dual sport with dual sport tires. If you are riding it as a dirt bike that is great but you should buy your own terrain-appropriate tires. Carb set-up and canisterectomy are a function of making the bike emmision legal for importation into the U.S. Hard to hold tht against KTM. And for reference, my 950 has 40,000 miles onit with 1,300 off-roaqd in the Kings of the West rally last year. All with the stock electric fuel pump.

I'm not going to claim my trails are better and tighter than yours or that I am a better rider. For one I don't need to, and for two it makes you sound quite 14.

Oh, and my wife doesn't ride. The 150 is mine. I love it. It's a total kick in the ass. I rode a Wilseyville hare scrambles event on it about 2 years ago and have raced it (stock) many times. Damn fun for about $1500.

Enjoy the holiday.
    Benduro likes this.
  11. number13

Oddometer:
    Not a pissing match, just addressing your comment. i should learn to use smilies more often though. When i read all the replies in this thread, it amuses me that the defense of KTM not doing the LWR seems to have a common theme. That is my commentary regarding ballsucking.
    i realized after that i needed to edit my reply to you as i imagine you are a good offroad rider. i know my ability and the terrain i ride after i leave the asphalt.
    The stock tires do not cut it up here whether it was st or quad/truck trails. They did well in Moab though. Too bad they were toast after 3000kms. i was only stating that as is, the 950 needs some things.
    Barkbusters were the greatest thing when they came along as it decreased the number of broken hands and bent bars. They are a must anywhere i ride. The cannisterectomy was needed as the bike would stall all the time in Moab on my first offroad adventures. Lafferty gave the bike back to me as it sucked stalling so often and hard to start. Imagine my surprise when the above pics of filter and slide were found during the 'upgrade'.
    i agree that the fuel pump is petty of me but after reading so many threads on here regarding its 'eventual' failure, i did it as a need for offroad riding so to never be stranded way 'out there'.
    The carb settings are also petty on my part but again a need for the elevation i ride at.
    My commentary is really about the 'ready to race' moniker and with the smaller dirtbikes, it just is not true for a huge population of recreation and race riders up here.
    Could KTM go the extra distance to truly make it 'ready to race'? i and many others think so.
    Have a great TG today.
    PS... i meant to add the grinning green guy after the 150wife question.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last KTM I raced was pretty much stock except for the navigation mast welded onto it, worked just fine, but then again I'm old and slow and I suck which didn't get in the way of 8 days of fun at my first international offroad rally:lol3
    Benduro likes this.
  13. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    1st of all, any serious racer knows there is no "one
    Race bike fits all"

Secondly, setting up a race bike costs a lot of cash, if you're going to snivel about it, you're the problem... not KTM.

Thirdly, since there isn't a better motorcycle company that sells a better out of the box, your weak arguments simply fall on deaf ears.

Fourth and foremost... Stop whining. If KTM did stoopid things like give away important R&D money to errant reality shows you'd only have less quality going into their products. So you'd have more you'd have to spend on your platform.

Other then that simple trivia. Feel free to blather on. Oh yeah... :)
  14. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    While i agree with some of what you have said i think a lot are concentrating on "race conditions" and "tough conditions" while these guys only subjected the bikes to "remote conditions" the bikes were over weighted but apart from that they were not put under extreme race or tough riding conditions.

Work out for yourself which bike handles over weighted slow riding in remote conditions best?

cheers

David
  15. number13

Oddometer:
    Nutswinger:D, i didn't come up withe the moniker 'ready to race'. KTM did.
    Try to keep up.
    No whining, just pointing out some facts.
    i stand by my 2 comments. One in answer to you specifically...cough...nutswinger...cough.
    And two, in reference to LWR and KTM blew it.

As far as the guys that take their bikes on long treks on and off the paved roads, the Adventure series of KTM's need nothing. i also bow down to all you adventure enthusiasts. The trip reports on here leave me in awe at where you guys go.
    Carry on blindly inventing reasons why KTM did not do LWR while BMW did!:lol3
  16. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    I think I'll watch LWR right now. That show is pretty cool IMO. And I have a few KTMs of my own.....:D
  17. katanarama

katanarama riding > posting

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. Scott Baja

Scott Baja el semental anaranjado

Oddometer:
    The Long Way Round show was a rip off. It followed the story of the real adventurers of Mondo Enduro. These guys were on DR 350 Suzukis with no financial support, or sponsorship money. They were on their own. 44,000 miles, 14 months round the world. The Hollywood actors were copycats, trying to follow in the footsteps of real men on their motorcycles that led the way. The Mondo Enduro fellows had no large chase group or support team following with everything under the sun in way of supplies etc. They did it the honest way, unsupported. The actors of Long Way Round, were pampered and coddled in a way that anyone who could ride a bike could have completed their trip. Reality TV. I encourage you to buy their DVD, Mondo Enduro. I have it and have watched it several times.No I dont know these guys. :clap
    Benduro likes this.
  19. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%

These are 2 guys that love motorcycles and wanted to go on a trip. Due to their circumstances they saw a way to have their trip and make some money as well. Can't blame them a bit.

Are they both occasionally whiners? Yep. Did they take way too much stuff with them? Yep. Did they manage to score a bunch of free shit and make an entertaining TV series? I think so. Did KTM make a bad decision about NOT sponsoring this trip? I think they did.

Look, anyone that travels around the planet on just about any ground vehicle is an adventurer in my book. And anyone doing it in the last 50 years have had it so much easier than those that did it 150 years ago on sailing ships and horseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my finger.
  20. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know, they did the miles, they should get credit for that, but jeez, what a couple of well-off, entitled whiners.[/QUOTE]

Man I am right with you...let's get real and recognize that 10 Years on 2 Wheels is the real thing. These 2 guys are the absolute biggest pussy's on the face of the earth and are beyond pampered in that stupid DVD that I also own and also watch every so often.