What's the riding like around OKC?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by wpbarlow, Mar 3, 2010.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son and his wife (non riders) just moved to OKC and will be buying a house soon. Is it worth me bringing a bike out there for area riding/day tripping for when I visit?

Thanks,
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Must be bleak, no answers! Very unlike ADV inmates...just sayin :ken
  3. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    There be a bunch of inmates in that part of the world but be carefull, many of them lurk about in the strip clubs and barnes & noble.
  4. rats4ever

rats4ever Trapped in the Plains

Oddometer:
    If you're just out to enjoy the weather, the riding's fine. Unless there's a tornado (April/May), it's blistering hot (June - September), or it's windy (every month that it's NOT blistering hot). :eek1

In reality, it's rideable most of the year here, but the majority of the roads are straight lines. If you've never visited the Plains, riding west of OKC may be interesting. And the loop around Draper Lake, or Hogback and Spencer-Jones Rds. are nice. But in general, there's a reason for why inmates lurk in strip clubs and Barnes and Noble. More interesting riding is about 2-4 hrs ride away, depending on where you're going. Or there's Crosstimbers ORV park by Draper Lake if you're bringing a DS.

-Matt
  5. johngs

johngs wanna b adventurer

Oddometer:
    its not to far to go ride in the ozarks. NW Ark or SW MO is awesome. both offroad and onroad...:clap
  6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    The area around Talimena has great roads. SE Oklahoma is very good also. Then again, great riding is also close by in Texas & Arkansas.
  7. RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you like interstate cloverleafs??? That's not really too much of a joke...what type of bike are you riding? If you're riding offroad, there is some stuff to do close by. Streetwise....eh...even the above-mentioned roads are mostly a short series of gentle curves. You pretty much have to be going 100 to make them interesting.
  8. NoDirt4Me

NoDirt4Me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your question has pretty well been answered. The aforementioned rides around Draper Lake, Hogback have a few curves and are close enough to be enjoyed after work.

There are a number of good day-ride roads in the Eastern half of the state, but plan on pretty much a minimum 2 hours of generally straight-line roads to get to them.

My experience is purely paved, no idea of what's available if you get off-road.
  9. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses folks. I'm little disappointed, but may bring a bike out (probably the Capo) and leave it there anyway to do some day/mini trips when I visit.
  10. RipperFox

RipperFox ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer:
    I live right at the dividing line of the flat stuff they discribe and the good stuff in Arky/SE OK.

The green on the map is where you gonna find the riding. DS, off road, twisties. Yes there are very small spots back to the west. So, bring what you enjoy most, get up before the sun, and lets go...I'll show ya any style riding you want (other than Hardley/Cruiser).

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Over+the+Hill+Rd,+Tahlequah,+Cherokee,+Oklahoma+74464&amp;t=p&amp;ll=35.487511,-94.482422&amp;spn=4.29336,7.03125&amp;z=7&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Over+the+Hill+Rd,+Tahlequah,+Cherokee,+Oklahoma+74464&amp;t=p&amp;ll=35.487511,-94.482422&amp;spn=4.29336,7.03125&amp;z=7&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
  11. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll contact you when I go out.