Whats the ruckus?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by scorch, Sep 2, 2008.

1. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Just wondering... But why are these little things so hip and everyone wants them? I can't seem to find any for sale. People sell theirs for about the same price they bought them.

I kind of get it, its industrial, bug eyed and pretty neat. It isnt chic like the vespa, its kind of more of a manlier scooter.

But what makes it a good scooter?

Will the ruckus ever be a 125cc? 50cc is nice,if you live near where you need to go. But on a everyday commute i would imagine doing 25mph is a little dangerous.

The big ruckus, i think missed out on the boat. it doesnt have the appeal of the little ruckus. Looks like you are sitting on a rectangle and its just too much... Too much going. The ruckus is minimal while the big ruckus is everything but minimal.

I've seen so many people mod the little ruckus.. Even put new engines in it. But im wondering if one would be good for me. :D
  2. jmoto

jmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Ruckus is a great scooter because it does everything a scooter is supposed to do: Carry a lot of stuff (way more than you might first think), it is economical and easy to operate, and it is fun. If it falls over you aren't going to damage any fancy cowls, fenders, etc. You can modify it make it faster and less reliable or leave it stock and have it run forever like any other honda power equipment, e.g. generator, pump, pressure washer.

To me, the big ruckus didn't work because it crossed the line between industrial cute and industrial ugly. If Honda had included generator components with the big Ruckus it might have had better chance.

You seem to understand the basic limitation of the Ruckus. If I were you, I would go out of my way to rationalize having one.
  3. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    25mph sure would be dangerous. Good thing the Ruckus tops out at around 40-45mph, isn't it?

Really, it depends on what your commute is like. Big, fast, multi-lane roads are not good places for a 50cc scooter. But sideroads, downtown streets, and so on are perfect; you can park them anywhere; they are quiet; and they are amazingly cheap to keep running.

You buy the tool for the job. If you have a 50 mile commute on the freeway, you don't need to be looking at the Ruckus. If you live 10 miles from work and have a route that works for the scooter, and you can find good routes to go to the grocery store and bank, then a 50cc scooter is perfect and will put money in your pocket eventually (much faster if you have to pay for parking).
  4. California

California Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Lantana, TX...after 56 years in Carmel Valley, Ca.
    40 - 45 mph? Are you serious? I had a Metro 50, and it was only good for 35, downhill, with a tail wind, and it was the "good" model Metro, you know, the high performance one!

Can anyone verify the actual, stock, performance numbers on a Ruckus? I love the look of that thing, but worry about the performance.
  5. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I think the ruckus might top out at 40mph on a level surface.. maybe.

Even if it did 45mph top speed, you wouldnt want to be maxing it out all the time would you?

Is the ruckus FI?

Pretty neat the bike is 50cc, water cooled, and 4 stroke.
  6. celticgent

celticgent Long timer

Oddometer:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81qsC4wRZtY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81qsC4wRZtY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  7. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Mine tops out (that is, the rev limiter kicks in) at 42, almost 43 miles per hour. This was verified by both my GPS and 2 radar signs I go by on the way to work nearly every day. You need room to run to hit top speed. There seems to be no long term problems with maxing out the throttle as evidenced by those folks with 5000+ miles and my own, albeit shorter, WOT rides to work.

But why complain about the speed and acceleration when the ride is so fun? Most of the hot rodding and engine swap guys do it because there is such a following for ther Ruckus and they are so interesting and easy to customize.

The Honda Metropolitan has a little better acceleration (thinner tires, slightly better aerodynamics), but tops out at the same speed (being the same engine and close in weight). The Met is about the fastest 4 stroke 50cc available in the USA.

BTW, if your Met was that slow it may have been a Metropolitan II, a restricted version that Honda shipped in small quantities for just a few years. Of course, it might have just been one that wasn't running right as well. Or, you may be really overweight.
  8. sonicsix

sonicsix Ruckus Rider

Oddometer:
    The Ruckus is bulletproof. I bought 2 brand new 08's in June and have almost 2500 miles on both of them. None of the miles are commutes or grocery runs, they are all long distance miles. We purposely bought the ruckuseseseses for touring, our 2 day trips average 450 miles and our 1 day trips range from 60-225 miles. We have been to all 67 counties in Alabama on scooters, 47 of those counties were on the Ruckus'.

Top speed is 45 MPH under perfect conditions, downhill, etc. It will cruise ALL DAY LONG at 37-40 MPH on relatively flat ground and will go as low as 24 MPH on very, very long or steep hills/mountains (the kind of roads where they will have truck lanes to get over a mountain). The speedometer is about 3 MPH optimistic as all speeds were verified by Garmin Nuvi 205 GPS. I am 6" tall and weigh in at 176# and carry about 25 pounds of camping gear when going on overnight trips. The wife weighs 135# and carries about the same amount of gear, maybe a little more as she carries the tent. We average 102 MPG.

I would recommend the Ruckus for any rider who is 220# or less. You cannot beat its rugged looks, reliability and versatility. Yes, you can modify it much easier than most scooters although we choose to only do cosmetic modifications. We are very happy with the mechanical performance as it is from the factory. We have added windshields, foot pegs, side kickstand, water bottle holders and in the process of swapping the stock seats for Harley Davidson wide solo seats with backrests. Yes, the ones you see on the touring Harleys. I don't have enough butt to stick with the stock seat much longer - LOL.

See for yourself what we do on our Rucks...
    http://RVRoadTrip.us/scooternation/index.asp
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonicsix
  9. tcs

tcs Palmer

Oddometer:
    My '03 Metropolitan (Ruckus' brother) begins to touch its rev limiter @ 41mph GPS. I've had it up to the high beam icon down hill. The '06 and later ones are faster.

Mine has 15,000 miles on the clock and probably 85% of that was covered WOT - hey, it's a Honda! Runs as good or better now than when it was brand new. I've averaged 107mpg.

Where to find a Ruckus? At a Honda dealer! They've had 2009s since July.

HTH,
    tcs
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the bump and not very smart question, but what does WOT mean?

Back to the Ruckus questions

Damasovi
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Wide Open Throttle
  12. Jaseun

Jaseun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    </P>
    sweet... I love curb -Jason
  13. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I think i've only known of Wan as getting 10,000 miles on his ruckus. I dont know if they "bullet proof". Hell alot of people call their own bikes bullet proof and they only have something like 5k miles on them.
  14. sonicsix

sonicsix Ruckus Rider

Oddometer:
    How many miles do you have on your Ruckus?
  15. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    Any and all verifiable proof you need as concerns Ruckii:

www.totalruckus.com
  16. HiTechRedneck

Oddometer:
    Wan put 18,108 miles on his Ruck; he then raffled it off and the winner, Dick Seng....is stil riding the WanRuck.

And yeah, top speed is 40-45mph outta the box. Besides, the newest Rucks are fuel injected. IN fact, Honda has scrapped production on ALL of their carb'd scoot models. That includes the Reflex, Helix, etc.

I seriously doubt we'll see any truly new Honda scoots until after New Year's...and when we do see 'em they'll all be fuel injected and large.
  17. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    pretty insane it was raffled out! ahaha, how much did the raffle bring in for wan?

18k miles aint bad on a little ruckus i soppose!! I read wans ride, it was unbelievable!
  18. HiTechRedneck

Oddometer:
    Raffle raised over $5k, but Wan donated it ALL to Make a Wish Foundation...
  19. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    How much did you guys buy your ruckuses out the door? Did you need insurance?
  20. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Insurance is never a bad idea on any vehicle....:deal