Whats the ruckus?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by scorch, Sep 2, 2008.

1. moto-scoot bill

moto-scoot bill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the big ruckus looks like a ski-doo sled minus the track and skis to me. sorry,:rofl:lol3:lol3:puke1 did i mention the word sled? them pesky varmits better git outta my way when my madass be heading down the old bunny trail.

Attached Files:

2. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but the Big Ruck is utility centric....the naked frame just begs for you to modify it.

It's the one thing I HATE about most scooters, all of 'em look the same. I don't care if they're 49cc or 600cc, the look of 'em turns me off.

Now, the C3 and lil Rucks are cool. Storage, utility, and they don't make the rider look as if they're sitting on the crapper.

But I'm a wee bit biased seeing as how I own a Big Ruck. And yes, it does rock!

[​IMG]

Currently has 26,000 miles on the odo (that's just under 42,000 km for those of you who speak Canadian)....
  3. moto-scoot bill

moto-scoot bill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i like that big rig tug boat / garbage barge. only do not tell anyone i said that. i have a madass reputation to maintain.:evil:eek1:lol3

Attached Files:

4. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I really hate the big ruckus. I dont see it. The little ruckus is a great bike tons of charcter, it looks like something people would want. THe big ruckus is trying too hard, nothing there just looks like a ugly brick. I dont see why anyone would want one, but thats just me of course.

It missed the boat on what for me makes the orgiinal ruckus a great scooter. It has no soul.
  5. Jaseun

Jaseun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess curb will be our little inside joke. We brings the ruckus! -Jason
  6. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    Ride one....yeah, the lil Ruck has the bad-assed look with tons of A/M parts but the Big Ruck is the truck of scooters.

And ya just don't look as gay on it as ya do on all those *insert make here* plastic clad, metal clad, fake metal clad look-alike machines. :wink:
  7. LC NW

LC NW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Up the CCs and it is one fast scoot!
  8. ColinDoyle

ColinDoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ride a MadAss... those things look like a good time. :evil
  9. LC NW

LC NW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! I love that!
  10. bikecat

bikecat Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. spotch

spotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the big ruckus is totally awesome as well.
  12. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    me, too, spotch.

problem was, when i was in the hunt, you couldn't find one. rare as hell around here. in fact i've never seen one on the street.

honda pulled the plug so fast on them that they never really had a chance. they were only around for, what, three years or so?

honda USA has a history here of doing things like that. the helix for example was introduced in 86 (IIRC) and lasted till the late 90s. then they brought them back for a few years and then stopped again.

the reflex was here from 02 to 07/08 and then disappeared.

the elite has been in and out of the market as well.

silverwings have been pretty steady, but then i think the only reason they've kept them is to have something to compete against the burgmans.
  13. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    only imported into N America in '05 & '06: fewer than 2500 copies.

my '06 has been upgraded with the JCosta variator, upjet, OEM air intakes, Stebel horn

[​IMG]
  14. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Ruckii are popular with female riders. The seat is low and the leg length required is minimal. The rider can flat foot the scoot and that makes riders happy.
  15. ColinDoyle

ColinDoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two-year update... I rode a Madass. It was originally a 49cc, but the owner had swapped a 4-speed Chinese 140cc engine. It rode kind of OK, but the seat sucked ass and it didn't feel sure-footed at all. A bike with a shifter is supposed to feel faster, too. :lol3

The plural of Ruckus is Ruckuses.

The guy who owns the MadAss I rode has a girlfriend, and she rides a stock Ruckus. She took my swapped Ruckus around the block and came back all cross-eyed and wobbly-kneed due to the vibrations. If they came from the factory like this, I suspect they'd be very popular with female riders. :wink:
  16. Big Steve

Big Steve Banned

Oddometer:
    We found our Ruckus on Craigslist for $500.00.

The owner screwed it up, would quit running when it warmed up. Still had 3 years left on the extended warranty, and at the time I was a service manager for a Honda motorcycle shop, so fixing it was a piece of cake.

My son really likes it, a lot. And around here, the Ruckus qualifies as a "motorized bike" as it is 49cc and had no gears, major points there - no licensing required, no helmet (although he always wears one) and the police leave us alone.

His tops out at around 40, a little more downhill.

Change the oil every 500-1000 miles and they will last a long, long time - just do not overfill it or forget to change the oil, and other maintence, they are super easy to work on.

Water cooled engines - the waterpump is magnetically driven off the cam - no seals to leak! Too may cool features to mention.

Retail on a new model is nearly $2500.00 - I've seen used ones for $1000.00-$1500.00 (or less) but you have to shop around and be patient.

If the gas is not drained, the pilot jets plug up easily, not hard to repair, but not easy either.

Tucker Rocker makes a good gel replacement battery for half the price of the Honda replacement.

The headlights rock at night, they are great.

Off road riding is somewhat limited, and if you ride in grass or weeds, the radiator will plug up - easily blown out from the backside with compressed air, you would be amazed at how many people do nto do that though, still, other than a few crank bearing failures (due to lack of oil changes IMO), they are pretty much bulletproof.

Fun scoots.
  17. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironic. You Yanks go batshit for some of the stuff we get here in Yurp. I would throttle nuns for the Big Ruckus..
  18. brockster

brockster Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer:
    Yurp?

I though it was 'Yarp', like in the movie Hot Fuzz.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    They are everywhere around Boston :eek1
  20. sleepychas

sleepychas Banned

Oddometer:
    I have a 2008 ruckus and frankly its dangerously slow in stock form. Sure you can get 40 mph but it takes minutes to get there :) I think 35mph top is more realistic and maybe 25mph on hills.

I use mine on totally isolated roads and am fine.

Otherwise its a great scooter for what it is but on busy 40mph plus roads its very dangerous imo.