Whats the ruckus?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by scorch, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ColinDoyle

ColinDoyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, especially when you ditch the stock 35/35W bulbs and put in some 55/60W units (*stock charging system is not up to the task.) I put a pair of Ruckus headlights on my old Ninja when I ditched the fairings, and they had no problem lighting up the road at greater-than-legal speeds. :evil

Radiator? What the hell? :lol3 Here's my temporarily-water-cooled GY6 swap in the grass and weeds:

[​IMG]
  2. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yes!:D
  3. kyhillbilly

kyhillbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really miss my Ruckus! Mine was stock and I would get smoked by my buddy's Zuma all the time but there was just something about the little bike that made you feel cool when you rode it! I never had the extra cash for upgrade as I bought it new and had to many or things taking up my time. I'm gonna look for a used 06+ over the winter, hope to have the extra funds to throw some trick stuff on right away!
  4. LandPirateMBC

LandPirateMBC Full blown child

Oddometer:
    While on the subject of ruckus headlights, I once saw a guy who switched it out to a small aftermarket light. It was a single bulb with an assembly just a few inches wide that seemed to bolt right on to the bars. Anyone have experience with assemblys such as that?
  5. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    No, but I installed my old 35/42 watt NiteRider bicycle light onto a PVC bar for extra conspicuity amongst cagers:

A bit hard to see in this pic but it's the itty-bitty dual-beam on the right side
    [​IMG]

Really blazes up the road at night, too!
  6. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, the 50cc Ruckus is restricted from the factory. You may be able to get better performance after de-restricting it.
  7. Ardyjay

Ardyjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A woman in our community has a really nice, low milage big ruckus for sale, if anyone is interested, pm me and I'll give you her number.
  8. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    I hear about the limiters on these all the time---anyone know how to undo these? Is it part of the ECU or is it somewhere in the throttle cable/housing?

It'd be great to get mine past 37mph...
  9. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Its not restricted with a couple washers like an old 2 smoke. Its got a rev limiter in the ECU. Basically the stock engine of the post-'06's tops out at 8850rpm. You can buy a CDI to up the limit. There are several brands. Posh has an unlimited CDI that seems fairly popular, though you'd better get a tach and be prepared to crap out your engine if you ride too high for too long. Battlescooter and few other places sell a CDI that raises the limit to 9000-10,000rpm, which seems reasonably safe for this well engineered engine. I have a Dynatek CDI with a 9500rpm top. It's well running on my daily driver and I've had no problems with reliability.

Of course, to make the most of the CDI you need to tune the variator, rollers and belt.

Check out TotalRuckus.com for all the info you'd ever want.
  10. kleblanc

kleblanc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a 09 Ruckus and an 09 Zuma 125,,and if they would make a 125 Ruckus boy I would be all over it, to me , and this is my opionion only, the Ruckus is a bit slow , mine tops out at around 38, the rear shock bottoms out all the time as does the front fork, if it only had a bit more pick up, its not bad at top speed its just takes too long to get to the top speed, my Zuma is much better for ridin in town, how can we get Honda to drop a 125 in the current Ruckus and beef up the shock and front fork, that is all it needs, well you know Honda always doin it backwards,,
  11. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    OK, approachbears, that's what I figured---that a different CDI would be needed. For now, I'll stick with my stock Ruc' until I really have some money to burn but thanks anyway for the reply.
  12. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know the Ruckus very well but can give the 411 on the Big Ruckus. Some people can't get beyond what it looks like, definitely not a fashion accessory, sort of like a utility vehicle. Some argue it's not a Scooter because there is no step-through chassis but oh well. It's not perfect by any means, the oem rear shock is poor, onboard storage is inadequate, and you'll need a Kijima rack if you plan on hauling anything or want to use it as an adventure Scooter. Those accessories aren't cheap or very easily obtained owing to it's rarity. In a drag race there are lots of other 250cc Scooters that will leave it behind, on the other hand Honda has kept with the same bulletproof engine and drivetain architecture for 20+ years powering arguably the most reliable line of Scooters (Elite 250, Helix, Reflex, Big Ruckus) there ever was. I've not upjetted or changed the variator or roller weights, those modifications are said to significantly improve acceleration. The headlights are unbelievably powerful but seldom mentioned, high beam on a dark night is unreal. The footrests (aircraft carriers) seem awkward at first but are comfortable offering multiple ways to keep your feet and legs happy once you are used to them. The linked brakes are unremarkable but work well enough if adjusted properly. The seat is comfortable for 300 mile rides, the backrest is great for a laid back cruise. Maintenance could not be any simpler. With a few modifications the Big Ruckus becomes something well beyond what it starts out as, haul a Lug of Peaches to work or pack up for a camping trip no problem. The Big Ruckus does fine off pavement, two of them participated in the MadToto Tornado Rally Back Alley Ride this year. Stable and well behaved in crosswinds at highway speeds, go up a steep hill at 65 or 70 and you'll lose several mph at the top. I've seen 78mph on a slight downhill but on level pavement 72 is about it. Two-up at 65 no sweat. People will approach with questions when you park. Sportbike Riders seem confused with the dual headlights when you approach them thinking it is a Triumph Speed Triple or something. A unique machine for sure.
  13. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    not meant as a thread jack:

some guy posted a video from that rally on our local club's site. unless the vid was somehow speeded up, the riders in that rally have way more balls than i do.

thread jack over.
  14. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thread jack #2:
    There are 3 videos all speeded up 300% not to deceive but to conserve viewing time. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587603
    No other Rally has a ride like that, insane.
    Thread jack #2 over.
  15. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread jack #3

gotcha, Warney.

that makes more sense, and damn, that looks like a fun ride.

Thread jack #3, over.
  16. bikecat

bikecat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone measure the diameter of the round headlights for this bike and post it up? Thanks.
  17. ColinDoyle

Oddometer:
    I don't have a tape measure handy, but I think they're around 5.5 inches in diameter. The Big Ruckus lights are about 6.5 inches in diameter. Japanese Zoomer headlights are quite a bit smaller.
  18. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:

how come? DOT requirement?
  19. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Probably not. Lights can be sufficiently bright in very small packages. Maybe just a cost decision based on supplier availability?
  20. ColinDoyle

Oddometer:
    I just measured mine and confirmed that they are indeed 5.5 inch diameter. They use a 35/35W H4 bulb, which can be swapped out for higher wattage if your charging system can handle it.

Here's the front end of a Zoomer for reference:

[​IMG]