What's to see and do in East Texas next week?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Jamie Z, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got this upcoming Sunday (tomorrow) through Thursday off work. I had previous plans, but they fell though at the last minute so I'm looking at taking a ride someplace new. Weather is pretty crappy in the southeast next week, so I was looking at venturing into Texas and/or Southwest Louisiana. I've only been through there a few times.

Looking for somewhere interesting to ride and see. Houston, Galveston, Austin, Dallas, are within range, though I'm not necessarily aiming for a big city. Could possibly make it as far as San Antonio, but it'd be a stretch.

I've been to Houston once for a day or two. Passed through San Antonio just long enough to see the Alamo. Bought my first bike in Dallas, though I didn't stay more than a few hours. I've ridden up the coast through Galveston not long after Rita. Most everything was shut down.

Mostly, I've been in and about, but I've never explored. Any thoughts or ideas?

Riding a V-Strom, looking to camp or tent-space. I like great roads, history, culture. I'm not into 1000-mile days on the interstate.

Jamie
  2. atrisk5

atrisk5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Y'all Texans are a quiet bunch. I'm headed south sometime Sunday afternoon, but I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone has any suggestions. East Texas. It's a big place. There must be something worth recommending.

Jamie
  5. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    You might want to come through Jefferson on your way South. Once the largest city in Texas it has a number of antebellum homes and lots of history. Most of East Texas and Western Louisiana is flat so a look at the map will tell you what you are getting into, mostly backwoods pine forest. Like someone joked, if the banjos are getting louder, paddle faster. I would be tempted to check out Sabine and Angelina National Forests.
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Jamie, I think you picked a good week. Temps have been unseasonably hot. Gonna be 70's this week. Nice.

First, shake loose some dinero and buy a Roads of Texas (Mapsco, NOT the Delorme product).

I had some real good fun with the Louisiana bunch that puts on the Swampscooters Rally in Lafayette. Google them.

Some pretty good riding right there.

In East Texas the 3 Stooges in Deep East Texas around Newton are fun and seriously twisty as is most everything around Toledo Bend . If ya make it to Central Texas, I might could weasel out of work 1/2 a day or so to show you around. Also, pm mr2mch and mudclod for routing help in Texas. Between them they know pretty much know ......uhhhh....every road. We might not can meet up, but we can tell you what is fun to ride.

You can pm Hardybaker in Marquez, too. He might be some help and he's a heckuva good fella.

Once ya make it this way, post up and I can help route you around on some Strom friendly Texas roads. Post up on Two Wheel Texans, too.

We'll get you taken care of.

BTW, bring BBQ. lol. My daughter graduated last year from Rhodes College and I sure miss Blues City for ribs and Central for pulled pork.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I've marked down Jefferson on my itinerary, thanks. Looks good.

I found Newton, but what is "Deep East Texas" and "3 Stooges"?

I'm headed out in a few. Going to stay with a friend near Lake Providence, LA tonight, and then keep heading south from there. I've got a friend in Pineville, LA, but I can't get in touch with her.

Was looking at Hodges Gardens State Park. Going to Beaumont to see the Spindletop Museum. Maybe a preseason game in Houston.

Jamie
  8. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Deep East Texas is the part of the state roughly between 59 and the border with Louisiana. The 3 Stooges are three farm to market roads in the area. I think this is it. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24854

Enjoy your trip. You may also want to go south from Winnie to High Island and then east to Galveston. The road is just as flat and straight as the Interstate but at least you have the sea shore.

If you have time to go west toward Austin from Houston leave the Interstate at Sealy take 1094 to New Ulm and 109 to Frelsberg then 1291 to Fayetteville. From there you can find you way via FM153 and Smithville. Before you enter Smithville, turn right into Buescher State Park (fee). Between Buescher and Bastrop State Park is Park Road One. It is slow going but a great ride.
  9. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tyler State Park is a very nice campground if you ride E. Texas. There are alot of great roads around there. Too many to mention. I just returned from the TX. Hill COuntry which has Awesome roads and town. Also got some much needed rain so wildflowers may have a chance now. It was 91 degrees Sat, before a late cool front moved in. This week looks awesome. Enjoy.

In the Hill Country I really liked Pedernales SP or Blanco SP. Around Kerrville Shreiner SP puts you in prime riding areas. Ranch Roads 335.336 &337, are exceptional. Known as 3 Twisted Sisters, ride them and you will know why. If you make it that far, camp at Garner SP. It is Excellent.
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer: