Wheel bearing disintegrates - F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tmex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a fun thread. If I had an F800GS - and it may yet happen 'cos I really like them - I'd simply buy a set of 2RS rear wheel bearings and, at any sign of wear or failure, immediately fit the correct replacement. Eventually the hub's bearing housing will wear enough to give correct crush and you won't need to fit another...

I used to get through rear wheel bearings like nobody's business trail riding (which is mostly through deep muddy water in southern UK) on my old Kawa KMX 200 and bunged a new set in whenever needed.
  2. rjudge

rjudge Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer:
    I took her into the dealer today for the wheel bearing repair. I was encouraged by the service guy that it will "probably" be under warranty. He said he would check the bore size and crush. Also encouraging, he indicated, like Woody, that the bearings tended to be very dry and he packs them with waterproof grease before installing. 12K service anyway. The bad: he can't get to it until the 24th.

Rick
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    before installing nice new ones,,give em a chance at longer life,,and save your self un-necessey grief and $$$$

FYI,,we have inmates on this very thread that have returned 3-5 times with the same consequent results..

INSANITY = ddoing he same thing over n over again and expecting a different result:wink:

i didn't say that,,just passing it on
    :freaky
    woody from germany norte
  4. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    Have 18k on my F8GS. No failures yet. I take the wheels off on every oil change to check the bearings though.
  5. chinchinete

chinchinete Learning to fly

Oddometer:
    After 18K miles mine gave up in the middle of a trip. Took the wheel to the dealer (Costa Rica) and I was encouraged too. He checked the international warranty for I bought it in NH, USA. Everything seemed fine. One week later I picked the wheel and was charged $210. I asked about the warranty and they said it did not apply; that easy. Lesson learned: stay away from this dealer. Bad thing is that the closer ones are in Colombia or Mexico. You are lucky your dealers do think and honor warranties.
  6. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed. The suggestion the hub would wear to correct spec was supposed to be a joke, hence the use of three dots following.
  7. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my original bearings failed at 3,100 miles or so. Bob's replaced them under warranty. I just had them inspected again at 6,400 miles and they are fine. I will keep inspecting them every 3,000 miles.
  8. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
    Fix = completely new wheel assembly, swap drive and stop - warranty. :1drink
  9. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And another. 2009 F8GS, 5,600 miles, the sprocket side wheel bearing is just a tad tight to turn and a little bit notchy.
  10. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    I must admit that I have not read every page (gave it a good go mind you) of this thread so I apologize if the information is here...again....

Are ALL the wheel bearings a double sealed 6204?
  11. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Yup!

12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    that you have an undersized hub....you are lucky to have noticed it ,,now get the hub FIXED or replaced with one with a correct ly dimensioned bore...

good luck,,,
    woody in old germany
  13. DiabloSD

DiabloSD n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgive me in advance, as I didn't read all 92 (!) pages of content here....

But you can add me to the list. 2010 F650GS w/ 25K miles.

Was at speed on the freeway, rear wheel started getting squirrly on me like a flat- pulled off, parked, and called for a tow. when the tow truck showed up the rear wheel had all but seized up- as if the ABS were gripping and wouldn't release.

Dealer (SDBMWMC) says it was total destruction in there. New bearings, new hub, new rim (!). All warranty. They say they've never heard of this before- "not a known issue".

Anything else I should be looking to have replaced in there- since it was clearly bad enough that they are replacing the rim?

I commute 50 miles on the freeway (So Cal) every day. Feeling very lucky/grateful that this didn't happen at a less opportune time.

Oh, and I also had the cracked tank issue- replaced under warranty. I'm 2/2 on the "no recall recalls".
  14. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, very lucky, I only took it out and checked it because of this thread. Just picked it up from your shop. Thanks!

And the BMW place told with a straight face me it was not a known issue, either. Liars.
  15. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Just had a four hour visit at Woodys Wheel shop, removed wheels they replaced the rear bearing diagnosed as being notchy. Not sure about that as I have more experience with truck bearings, but one side of rear bearings had minimal grease other side had none, nix as in no sign of grease anywhere. This was the Same with all three rears the front was the same, rears replaced front greased in place. Just under 10, mile passing thru town headin back to Boston.:lol3
    They were okay but without grease would of failed at some point I figure
  16. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    My son is looking at buying an F800. Is this happening in all years or just 09's and 10's?
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Based on what i've read and all the hubs we have fixed ,,i would surmize the following occured

1,,, the largest batch of bad ones occured circa 2008 and have been petering off slowly

2,,, there is an absolute consistency for the symptoms,,,The measurements taken by me ,,my staff and others with the capability to measure the bores,,,as well as the consequences if left unattended,,at least half dozen riders have experienced results similar to T-mex. ,,and at least a hundred others variations of bearing/hub failures:cry,,,:cry

3,,, the most recent development,,that i've noticed and reported is that some recent ie circa 2010 and later are having the sprocket side bearing begin to fail but at much higher mileages,,,this follows the observation and measurement of the later hubs circa post 2010....these hubs have the corrected disc side speced at the oem blueprints .0015'' crush,,,the sprocket side still sports too tight a bore but not as tight as the deletrious disc bore... So in effect they corrected half the problems albeit the more damaging one,,,:huh

4,,, so a quick summary leads me to extrapolate that a bad batch of hubs was produced,,,interspersed among far more good hubs,,yes there are hubs with the correct bore:eek1,,,,i ca assiure you that the bmw engineers speced and sent the correct blueprints to Grimeca to have em build the hubs at least,,,so it is a QC problem,,,,,they really have no way of knowing which ones are which,,,most dealers have no way of measuring the bore to ascertain what's truly occuring,,hence just keep on swapping bearings,,,since no official acknowledgement exists,,,it is a crap shoot whether warranty work occurs or not. Ie the "What problem???" syndrom you all are all too familiar with,,,,
    Someone must be listening or else a correction in post 2010 hubs would not have occured...i think / predict that we will see a slew of sprocket side bearing failures occurin these half corrected hubs,,,most just outside the warranty period. :huh:cry:cry::cry

6,,, sooo keep on checking,especially when ya take your wheel out for tire changes,,,swapping bearings is not the fix you truly want,,,ya want the Rx,,,measure,,repair/correct the bore size,,replace with well lubed(preferably water-proof grease) double sealed bearings,,,truthfully we have not found a brand that has not failed in the undersized bore. And all brands with proper grease and corrected bores have consequently been reported to have gone 50,000-80,000 miles plus...goes to show ya

OBTW,,,when i couldn't get oem hubs for years in the early days of the failures,,i decided to modify the existing cush drive hubs that i had RAD build for me,,,giving you all a waaaay tuffer hub,,,5 beefier bearings instead of 3 smaaller 6204s. With the added ability to tap into a broader range of sprockets available from the modified ktm 950 adv hub with the $$$$ savings for you by making an adapter that allowed you to recycle/re-use your oem rear disc and mounting bolts,,," Buildt to Last!!!":wink:

There ya go,,the latest news from "Lake Woe - Be - Gone"
    Actually the Mekong river in Saigon,,at least that's what my I-Pad is telling me where i am
    Woody
    squr3l likes this.
  18. MotoLara

MotoLara ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer:
    45,000 kms on my F8GS and the rear wheel bearings failed catastrhopically when on the hwy 1 day ago. After having an 'oh sh*t!' moment and wrestling the bike to pull over safely, checked the rear tyre (thought I've had a flat) realized that the bearings were gone, the rear brake pads seized and the brake rotor was grinding on the calipers... etc ... a disaster.

But what really gets me is that my dealer (Island BMW in Victoria BC) are telling me that none of it is covered under warranty. How is it possible that many of you have had the same problem and had their bikes repairs under warranty?

Not very happy with BMW.
  19. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Canada. I had the same experience with Honda Canada and a failed stator on my CBF. Honda UK have been replacing failed stators for the past 5 years, even on bikes out of warranty but Honda Canada simply said no. I just voted with my dollars and bought a Triumph, never own another Honda. I'd call BMW Canada and plead your case. Good luck. Love my new Tiger XC BTW. :deal
  20. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I'm not certain that's a true assertion. I think the consensus is that very few of us have had this covered under warranty. I was, and I consider myself extremely lucky in hindsight, but besides me, I'm only aware of only one other person that was successful in getting the hub replaced under warranty.