Wheel bearing disintegrates - F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tmex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Changed all my bearings again. As soon as they don't feel 100 percent new I swap them. Usually last a year, but I do a fair bit of water. With my cheap IR thermometer and a bearing puller I can change all 5 in under an hour.
  2. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just like high class adult entertainment, one can never have too much lube
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI,,,hi speed water-proof hi-speed boat trailer bearing grease really does work....ya can get it at any NAPA/auto Zone parts store.

when re-packing or on all new bearing installs,,,R&R seals and press the water-proof stuff in there,,,have some peace of mind:deal

we routinely perform this service on all new ADV bike wheel builds/re-builds...a lil langniappe based on what works better for those types of riding conditions.

:freaky
    woody
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    well my turn with the blown bearing: 48k kms on the clock and the inner rear wheel bearing disintegrated. Now I need an extractor tool to get the outter ring that is stuck against the hub out. Well leaves me time to get some waterproof grease!
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because of the number of water crossings in my favourite rides, followed by high speed sections, I have a high attrition rate on wheel bearings.

To the point where I carry 3 bearings with me everywhere. Prepacked in waterproof grease, bagged, taped up, and secured up in the tail end.

Just in case.
  6. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6500 miles since I installed the OEM bearings. Toast. Shoulda listened better......... %k miles in 2 weeks followed by the Desert 100 didn't help things, but they still shouldn't have failed that soon. I was being proactive and re greasing them when I spotted the issue. Picking up 10 bearings and 10 seals so I have a backup set in the freezer:deal
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think you will get around it until you either re bore the hubs, or change the rims Chet.

Erling
  8. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Grrrrrrr, last big ticket item for sure. Don't tell my misses the mistress needs new boots :wink:
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diamonds...... Bring lots of diamonds.....:lol3:lol3
  10. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So because I am lazy and don't have time to read... I am still running stock hubs and haven't had an issue, was this a certain year?
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. It was a matter of some of the hubs simply were not bored out enough, and offered too much crush on the bearings after install. Really a matter of some worked, and some ....not so much.
  12. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took the rim from my 2010 in to Woody and they checked it for me and said the bore is just fine. Did need new bearings but no boring. Hit and miss.
  13. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Erling is just helping me help the industry one expensive farkle at a time. My hubs are fine, it is the OEM bearings at issue for me. I only visit Starbucks 5 times a day, if I cut back I am fairly certain they will last much longer:norton
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bu...But....but..... Never mind.:freaky
  15. crossplane

crossplane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took my bike in just before the end of my warranty period to have the rear wheel bearings replaced and they replaced the wheel bearings and headstem bearings under warranty!

I was shocked - always considered these a consumable part that I didn't think would be a warranty item. I suppose they figured that they should last longer than < 2 years.
  16. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Heck, I would be happy with 2 months:eek1
  17. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    for the first time in months i've had the luxury of a few extra moments to peruse what's going on with my inmates in ADV....

SOP dirt -rider..IMHO you'd be better served checking why your bearings are routinely flaking out prematurely...

Hint: get someone to measure the bearing bore on that hub of yours...too tight ya found the source of your problem..
    Rx = machine/hone for .0005'' crush then install new bearings re-packed with waterproof boat trailer grease....= peace of mind:deal

NEXT ,,,,FYI

proper terminology when discussing that thingy your tire is mounted on...

1,,wheel assy = the entire assy that your tire is mounted to,,,consisting of a rim/spokes/nipples/hub assy

2,,rim = the actual circular object that holds your tire in place

3,,spokes n nipples = connect the rim to the hub ,allow the motorcycle to hang from the rim ,,the nipples allow you to adjust the concentricity and lateral run-out

4,,hub assy = the part rotating around your axle,,,that anchors the spokes and bearings,,,and provides a mounting place for disc/drum brakes

when i read you're gonna replace the bearings in your rim...i get kinda confused:wink:

ok i see,,it's business as usual for you F800GS riders...:evil

holler,if i can help you all.
    :freaky
    woody

PS..i bet tex never anticipated having one of the longest running threads when he first posted and shared his rear bearings demise:rofl:rofl
  18. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    "nipples allow you to adjust the concentricity"

Talking dirty to us, eh?:ear

Care to share the inner hub dimensions? Doing the front today as I have a new tire in hand.
  19. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Started shopping for a new set of five bearings. Besides Amazon, any other good source online (that is not going to charge huge shipping) for a States side buyer?
  20. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is probably not the place for it, but send me PM or IM
    Good quality, double sealed 6204 bearings are '"Available"'