1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel bearing disintegrates - F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tmex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Here in the USA for some silly-assed reason the things seem to cost $15 - $20USD each...............
    I'm not quite understanding it ..........
    Need to look into it a bit deeper..............
  3. Grinzold

Grinzold Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SKF I buy in Australia cost me about $5 each. From a bearing shop. I do buy them 10 at a time. My DR 650 uses the same in the rear wheel. Different in the cush drive.
  5. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Quit digging for excuses and do it.

What is the cost of failure?

Did you find my bearing puller yet?
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    6204 2RSJ are the exact bearings in the spindles of most older "made in the MTD factory" ride-on mowers. Off the shelves just about anywhere in Canada for about $7.00 in the standard version. Even in my little village where the only business is the garage/post office. From buying a few either "made in Bulgaria or Argentina".

New aftermarket spindles for them mowers will come with Chinese bearings. They last a few hours under my mowing conditions.:lol3 So I replace them with SKFs "2RSJ" in the standard version. They last longer but will still fail. Will try the C3s next time in the Explorer version.

As for my BMW....It is a K so maybe nothing to do here but the "standard" SKF I installed in my swingarm to replace the expensive FAG/propriatory BMW bearing sure didn't last very long so I happily went back to OEMs.

SKF has a pretty good website.....designations and suffixes/prefixes are reasonably well explained.

http://www.skf.com/ca/en/products/b...prefixes-and-suffixes/suffixes-g-k/index.html

Oh well....I was only looking for/crossreferencing mower bearings this morning.Took me back to ADV.....but now I know that I may have spares if one of you guys break down in Western Canada. Just shout for help, I may be home.
  8. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    You need a bearing removal tool?
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I let my local shop do them for me after my last bearing failure that completely ate up my OEM spacer. The independant wrencher my bike was towed to suggested that these aluminium spacers were just a failure waiting to happen. then again he didn't know how to remove the inner bearing of my rear hub (ended up doing the work myself in his shop). My first failure was at 48k kms, second at 78k kms. I'm now at 93k kms and they still look fine after installing these SS spacers. I always carry 3 spares with me just in case and plan on changing them every 30k kms if they haven't failed before.
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I'm a good-for-nothing slacker :1drink
    I have tire change coming up ... will have some SKF Explorers by then ...

My usual go-to for cheaper tools wants too much cash for their kit:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Kits are cheaper on ebay --- here's one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Blind-H...Slide-Hammer-Removal-Repair-Kit-/262056689986

If you already have a slide hammer I could just bring the actual pullers to save weight...
    Of course I predict the threads would not match the slide hammer you have and you'd need an "adapter"

Have not found source for JUST the "blind" pullers but at $35 for the kit ....
  11. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    No, but you don't need a BMW either. Proper tools make a difference. They also fill the garage.

Jimmy, my Ebay comes up all Spanish. Need to get sorted here. It's the same kit as HF I'm sure. Get that ASAP so you can use it first, then bring it here in Nov. I'll report how good it is for the bearing changers here. :thumb
  12. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    Well said. I just ordered the motion pro bearing removal tool. Will let you guys know how it works out in the near future.
  13. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the motion pro set. It is one of the handiest tools I have. I use it more at work and have pulled bearings out of some very difficult spots with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats what I used and it was childs play :clap, literally a minute per bearing
  15. Loutre

Oddometer:
    I just use a tire iron and a hammer :hmmmmm
  16. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    I used to use a punch and a hammer. Although time consuming it does work. I found it to be a pain in the ass and the chance of damaging a bearing and or hub is high. So I spent the cash and got the motion pro kit for 115$. Money well spent.
  17. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Well who cares if you damage the beering since you want it out? for 115$ I could buy 23 beering if shit is hitting the fan. not second guessing your purchase or anything just my 2cts
  18. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, count me in for a left side, hub failure. Had it sent to Woodys with grim news the hub is toast. It didn't lock up on me when it happened, but still...
  19. Dirt wolf

Dirt wolf I'm your huckleberry

Oddometer:
    Check them when you change tires. They are cheap and easy to replace. Don't wait for a catastrophic failure.
  20. cactus_reese

cactus_reese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The interweb just saved me from disaster. While riding home from my Globe ride, I began hearing a tock, tock, and sometimes a clunk while decelerating. I checked all over the bike and couldn't figure it out. It felt like it was in the gear box. I got on the forums and started reading a long thread by someone with similar symptoms. Finally at the bottom of the thread was the answer. When he took it to the service department, they determined it was his rear wheel bearings. I put my bike on the center stand and turned the rear wheel. It let out a loud squeak (no squeak when the wheel was loaded by the bike weight). I removed the wheel and put my finger on the inner race and turned...yep, bearings are toast! The spacer bushings also had groves worn in them. Now the wheel is in the shop awaiting parts.