Wheel bearing disintegrates - F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tmex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    if the spacer bushing is simply that and secured with clamping force of a screw thread then a stack of flat washers to the correct thickness or near enough to do the job would be just as safe and secure as one solid piece
    of course not very handy to install but a wrap of duct tape will keep them as one until installed
    you could have been down the road long ago,theres no reason to sit and twiddle your thumbs unless i am missing some information
  2. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes thats it i would give foriegn matter number one status
    and in my opinion the advent of the 25 cent carwash (lol that is what it used to cost for 6minutes of pressure wash)and nowadays everybody and there mother has a pressure washers
    those machines the spawn design of satan,over the last 45 years have destroyed more motorcycles, than any one thing.
    although today the revlimiter ruins lots of engines because morons think its ok to use it with abandon
    the rev limiter is a safeguard meant to save an engine from over-rev
    it is not a toy or a shift point indicator
  3. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I hand wash my bike with 2 buckets and small brushes. But I do ride in a lot of dirt and water

I'm waiting for the parts bike wheel that should arrive tomorrow fingers crossed. It should have everything but the spacer. The bearing welded itself to my original hub and axle sleeve. For the price of a machinist might as well get the used wheel with tire mounted

The spacer thickness is ok it's just not the correct diameter on the outside. Sanded down I think it should work on pavement to get me moving
  4. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    what is the spacer and where does it go ?
    the od needs to fit what ?
  5. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Part 14 in the fiche here but it looks more like part 7. The one people replace with Scheffelmeier metall stainless steel spacer

[​IMG]

Hopefully 7 or the shaft seal comes with the wheel or I might still be screwed
  6. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    i still cannot figure out what 14 actually does
    does it plant directly over #7 and then something like a caliper bracket centers up on it ?
  7. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Part 14 is the seal. Same as 24.
    7 is the spacer.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  8. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I believe it fits inside of the shaft seal and plants between the wheel bearing and the calliper bracket. Basically protects the bearing seals

Yea I think MaxBMW fiche is messed up because it calls 14 the spacer with a picture and 7 the seal with a picture of it but the diagram is as you say
    The Maz likes this.
  9. DSRPilot

DSRPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help me understand the seals please.

I looked at the fische and see that 2 of the 30x47x7 are on the rear wheel.

1 of the 30x47x7 is on the front wheel and the other is the 25x47x7.

The 6204 bearings are ID 20 and OD 47.

So are the numbers on the seals not the ID/OD/Width in MM or do the seals have a greater ID?

I know I'm missing something here. Someone please enlighten me.
  10. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I believe the seals are the same OD as the bearings. The bearings have smaller ID than the seals

The spacers fit inside the seals against the bearings. The axle fits inside the bearings and spacers
    The Maz likes this.
  11. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am going to wager the inner race that is on the axel, on page one is a perfect if temporary replacement for the spacer
    itn may be slightly long but the swingarm can handle a bit of flex
    the bearings are sealed well enough to not be a problem unless you all plan on crossing a salt water type isthmus
  12. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They might be 'sealed' but I'd bet there is very very little grease inside to prevent/displace water entry.
  13. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is definately better than no seals at all
    best sitiation is true spring energised seals such as almost all mfg provide outside of the bearings
    new off the shelf the bearings will be pretty much full of grease
    i only am try suggest that you could finish a ride without the outer seals....
    unless you gonna do the ride underwater
    it would be worth it to do the bearings again at trips end rather than loose days of riding
    ymmv

on a motorcycle wheel with the bearings mounted on a horizontal axle,the bearing's seal/shield , actually will trap any water that gets in and never let it out
    because the outer part the perimeter of the seal/shield seals quite well
  14. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenny, you must buy better bearings than I do, mine have almost no grease in them when I pick the seal to check. I stuff them pretty close to full before re-installing the 'seal'.
  15. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    my memory is surely failing
    because i am sure you are right
    the bearing mfg cannot know the application of a bearing in the end
    in any hi-speed app a filled up bearing will get hot and puke out frothed \up grease they cant afford that
    and hi speed app is a much larger segment of use i would venture for most bearings
    3600 rpm for typical electric motor
    our wheels in the area of 600-700 rpm's
    that much higher on the rpm's changes the entire lubrication dynamic
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Wheel bearings dont need much grease, thats why they come like that, they only need a smear of perfectly clean contaminate free grease, keep them that way and they will last a long life
  17. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect they may be greased sufficiently for a period, but then the grease flings away from the balls into the great bearing void and every failed bearing I see is dry and rusty. I pack enough in to keep the water out as long as possible and give the grease that is working the balls nowhere to move to.
  18. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    If they are dry and rusty then the seals havent done their job keeping the contaminates out

19. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, but the 'seals' are crap, just a silly press in piece of plastic. They aren't a real seal deal!
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, you're scaring me. I just rebuilt a failed bearing in a jetski pump, using 2 new bearings that must handle 160hp thrust equivalent. Both were very shy on grease and I stuffed every nook and cranny with extra BelRay waterproof grease. RPM is a sustained 7,800.

Ummmmm......Have I done something I'll soon regret?

The OEM bearings lasted about 50 hrs.. If the bearing fails it drives the shaft forward into the crankshaft, dislodging it and very quickly destroying a great engine.