Wheel bearing disintegrates - F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by tmex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was talking to another mechanic about this the day before yesterday. He sent an F800 hub to Woody's for rebuilding and Woody's found the bearing pockets to be out of round and out of alignment with each other. I have replaced a few F800 wheel bearings and now I have more things that I will need to look for.

The bearing pocket quality issues are not limited to this application. I have found pocket problems with final drive covers as well.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yes... early on in this thread or another it was determined that the "crush" (nominal interference between the OD of the bearing and the ID of the hub) was too high (out of spec.) on some F800GS bikes.

All of the the boat trailers I've ever worked on are packed with grease and have a grease fitting, but used tapered roller bearings.
    Not trying to start a fight ... but was told they were packed to prevent salt water intrusion which would of course suck....

Last time I replaced the wheel bearings on the bike I was on the road and just did what I could do...
    Will likely do the wash-and-pack next time...
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Boat Trailers have "Bearing Buddy" Caps which are spring loaded... The idea is you fill them with grease so the springs keep pressure on the grease. This prevents water from entering when you back into the water. When going down the road the bearings get hot causing expansion but backing into the cool water causes the bearings, hubs, grease, etc. to contract which can create negative pressure in the hub sucking in water. The spring tension/pressure on the grease compensates for the contraction and keeps the water from being sucked into the hub.

https://www.bearingbuddy.com/how-bb-works
    JRWooden likes this.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yeah... what @SnoDrtRider he said ;-)

All (most) are still tapered roller bearings right?