Wheel help for the Black Beast

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Katoum, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I guess it was inevitable. I have two wows in the front wheel, I guess I do not have to repeat what a lot of people have been saying about Behr rims.
    Has anyone heard if KTM has actually received upgaded aluminum rims from Behr.
    I ride off road and I ride fast but I sure as hell know when I hit something hard enought to bend a normal rim, but then this is a Behr piece of Shit, opps starting to rant and get off the subject.
    I need help to find a 2.15 Excel or Sun rim with 8 mm nipple holes, does one exist? Web site? all help is appreciated, thanks guys.
    Cheers,
    Katoum
  2. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    You can get Sun Rims in 2.15 x 21". Holes are custom drilled. No Excels in this size.

See here.
  3. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help but now for the bad news. I called Buchanen and they still have no die, wheel will not go into production till end of year. It obviously is not high on their on priority list. There next size to make is 2.60 not 2.15.
    So what do we do now, I guess were at the mercy of KTM, so can we ask for a better quality rim as rumoured. How will we know what we get.
    A 1.85 is not a option for me.

4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Why can't you use the 1.85 ?
  5. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg, maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Are you using the 1.85 with the Pirelli's. If so do you notice a difference in the feel of the front end under aggressive road riding. (twisties).

6. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    No I still have stock rims and I run Conti TKC's I cant imagine that you can ride fast enough off road to bend the stock rims with the Pirilli tires, are your rims the silver ones. I have hit some rocks pretty hard and have yet to bend my rim . I have hit some rocks hard enough that the forks clanked, hard. I'm wondering if the black rims that came on my S hard tougher than the earlier silver ones Has anyone with a newer standard bike with the black rims bent theirs yet? The stock Pirelli is only a 90/90/21 which is the same size as the mt21 that I run on my XR 400 that has a 185 rim maybe it needs the wider rim as it is really a tubless tire?
  7. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why KTM chose the 2.15 size but it could be as you say, for the tubless tire application. My Rims are the black ones. The bends I've experienced are minor in nature in comparison to what I have seen posted, but give me cause for concern non the less. I always run 34 lbs and we from time to to achieve near maximum velocity on gravel pot holed fire road, but hey I've bent lots of rims in my day, but I can alway remember when and where it happened. My rims can probably be trued in a press, because if there as soft as I think they will bend back easily, but should we have to deal with this on a bike of this caliber. This would not be the first or last time KTM has had a outsourcing quality problem with metalurgy. I hope KTM will address our concerns. I think I may do a pole to see how many 950 Adventure riders have damaged their rims and how long it took time wise riding.

QUOTE=Greg Minor]No I still have stock rims and I run Conti TKC's I cant imagine that you can ride fast enough off road to bend the stock rims with the Pirilli tires, are your rims the silver ones. I have hit some rocks pretty hard and have yet to bend my rim . I have hit some rocks hard enough that the forks clanked, hard. I'm wondering if the black rims that came on my S hard tougher than the earlier silver ones Has anyone with a newer standard bike with the black rims bent theirs yet? The stock Pirelli is only a 90/90/21 which is the same size as the mt21 that I run on my XR 400 that has a 185 rim maybe it needs the wider rim as it is really a tubless tire?[/QUOTE]
  8. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Up till now, 3 major & 3 minor wows in the front rim without even noticing when any of this happened; rear is still Ok but I think that it`s only a question of time before it joins the party! :bluduh

Cheap rims are a totally inacceptable KTM doing on such a bike; we should relentlessly complain to the dealers, the distributors & the company until they replace them under warranty at NO cost to the owner! :wink:

So let`s start the bombardment of Emails, phone calls & whatever others means of communications you can think of to put the pressure ON before KTM gets BMW on us & give us the arguments that the bike was never intended to be ridden on ''those road conditions'', at ''those speeds'' & finally ''off highway by non proffesionnals'' (rings a bell?)! :fitz
  9. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Yeah...

We should start a campaign...I'd like to see them replaced at no cost...my front rim is absolutely ridiculously banged up...probably about 7 or 8 dings on each side!!!!

Who should we send the e-mails to?
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    How do we do this :huh

This Rims are for sure a piece of Crappolla,they are super weak and they get much weaker after time specially if you start to get small bends and the integrity of the structure is compromise

lets figure a way out to get to this guys Big Time
  11. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Would be nice if KTM took responsibility but they have a nice back up plan for such a complaint, "We sold the rims for street use with street tires"
    Unfortunately KTM drinks at the same table that BMW does so the complaints get "filed" here :flush

The one who needs preasure right now is Buchanon, they told me a dye would be done by around the first of June, sounds like they're procrastinating on this one.
    A group buy with a nice discount would also probably motivate both parties.
    Talking to a decision maker would also help things out, the current shop manager has to many excuses imo.

I agree that the bike has the sorriest rims and it's unfortunate that they couldn't add the extra expense of nicer made wheels in fact I was told by Buchanon that KTM approached them on this early on but they didn't want to spend the extra bucks for a better wheel.
  12. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the first step has to be a pole or documented log in maybe excel of owners, and serial numbers. KTM has all our serial numbers, this way we could approach problem in systematicmanner. Because we are KTM fans does not mean we should have to sit back and cover there ass on this one. We should do this via PM's as some people may be reluctant for what ever reason to come forward in a public forum. So do we have a chair person with the time to keep track of this?

13. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I think it's only because they wanted to get the largest contact patch possible with a 21" rim and widely available 90/90-21 tires. AFAIK there is no 21" rim for tubeless tires and I don''t know any bike using a 21" TL tire so why would this have been a consideration?

Could be good off road but a 1.85 rim isn't a good thing for streetriding IMO. The already narrow 90 tire gets squeezed rounder and narrower even more on that small rim.
  14. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    I nominate Katoom for chair and president of the 950 complaint group, and really cool guy for making us cool parts and tools
  15. Motobrandt

Motobrandt Free Opinions Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW R100GS :freaky
  16. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg, but I think the wheel issue is dead before we even got started. So I've decided not to spend any more energy on it. Maybe we can get some answers at the KTM Rally!

17. SST

SST Lost again...

Oddometer:
    I expect we will see a few of KTM's own bikes at the KTM Rally with Excel rims (with knobbies). I was at the Mammoth MX this week and talked to Scot Harden and noticed he has Excel rims on his own personal 950. I know the Dakar bikes use Excels also.

Should be an interesting topic of discussion at the KTM Rider Roundtable...
  18. schradt

schradt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ~20-25km/h, 2,4bar, Pirelli Scorpion A/T:
    [​IMG]
  19. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Wow that is a serious dent
  20. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 6300 miles I have two noticable dents in my front rim- with stock Pirellis at 36 psi and never off road. They are fantasticly soft and should be subject to recall and replacement. In addition both fork seals have begun leaking and spooged the brake pads even though I have yet to bottom the forks. My local KTM dealer dosen't carry the 950 and refuses to consider a warranty fix- in fact doesn't even have enough data to order the replacement seals and brake pads. A dealer I visited in Prince George was so pissed with KTM that he didn't even want to see the bike in the flesh.
    I love the bike but am amazed at how KTM has managed to create a hostile environment among owners and over half of their dealers. At this point I think the warranty is pretty much useless and figure I'll have to do any and all repairs myself and on my nickle.