Wheel help for the Black Beast

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Katoum, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    How did you dent them on the street must be jumping curbs and poping wheelies :lol3
  2. Lc8er

Lc8er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I,ve got a few dents in my front rim too, one happened landing off a tabletop and bottoming the front forks but I don´t know where the others came from. The rims are definatly not strong enough for a bike this heavy...
    Mine are the silver ones but I don´t think it makes a diference, and yeah ktm should replace them under warranty but we´ve got some chance of a recall :rofl
  3. vgstef

vgstef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please report this to the NHTSA , KTM will not fix this problem until she is forced to.
  4. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted it elsewhere but the 2005 KTM is supposed to have Excels. I intend to buy a front and lace it up. Buchanan states that the 2.15 Sun rim comes with the euro spec drilling for spokes and that he is backordered for 2 months. This from last week.
    As a dirt bike racer I can assure you that ALL factories make compromises and when you find out what the weak points are you just fix them and ride. I do not view the 950 in any different light. KTM apparently knew there was a problem and fixed it on the next production run. It would be nice if they would sell us rims at cost but I do not expect it.
    Stu
  5. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give VMS (Valley Moto Sport) a call in Kelowna, he is a autorized 950 dealer, he should be able to help you out. A lot of dealers only want to deal KTM offroad models. Also it was required to have mechanics trained, and a tool purchase, plus a stocking order of basic parts. This turned a lot of them off.

6. schradt

schradt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm from Germany, so I don't think NHTSA is relevant for my rim

BTW after some early-morning exercise (rim bending with bench vise) the rim was some kind of roundly again and was driven about 6500km since then. Neither the Scorpion, nor the thick motocross-tube was damaged.

Now I'm saving money for Excel rims...
  7. Will

Will Carpe Moto.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put a torque wrench on the spokes yet? It seems with the reputation for bolts not properly tightened, and the ability to bend a rim without even bottoming the suspension (which is a bit hard to believe), that loose spokes could be the cause. Not just one or two, but all of them. The strength of the rim comes in part from the tension from the spokes. Ricky, am I right?
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    :wave Will

when i did jean Luc's wheel i was really surprise when I found the spoke tension was absolutlly and perfectlly even, not even one spoke was out of tune.

you are totally right on your coments,specially if you are taking about bicycle wheels were most of the strengh,trueness and flexibility is base on the spoke tension and lacing pattern in comparation on a motorcycle wheel were the spokes are more or less there to hold the rim concentric and propertlly dish to the hub, the funny part is that the "Center line" on JL rim(were the spokes atache) was "perfectlly" round(well almost) were the rest of the rim was totally wasted,,

a picture to refresh your memories here is the super mega "ROCK STAR" Jean Luc wheel.
    [​IMG]

in my opinion this is beyond ridiculous,, well exept if you want to take M&M's for a ride
    [​IMG]

this rims are super weak and soft,when a rim is well made the bend on very small increments(sharp and accute) as opose to be long and deforming a big segment of the rim.
  9. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you come up with a part number for either the front rim, Excel, or the rear, please post it. So far we do not have part numbers here. I told my dealer to get me an Excel but none can be ordered without a part number.
    Stu
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might not be too expensive. KTM sells a SM brake kit for the 525 that is cheap---parts dont seem too expensive-- just need a part#