Wheel help in Fayetteville, Arkansas

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Corona, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    Currently riding the TAT with two friends and have managed to wreck the front rim of my f800gs crashing into a big rock this morning.

The bike is rideable but the rim won't make it to Oregon. I am currently in Fayetteville trying to work out options but I chose a bad weekend to crash

If any local riders know of a place who could bash it back into shape, or want to sell me a new rim, please let me know. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  2. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a small board and a big rock....
  3. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Give me a call if you want to take a crack at it with a rubber mallet. I am just south of Fayetteville. 314
    three hundred two twelve 23
  4. Corona

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Going to try Bentonville BMW tomorrow when they are open (I have been told they are a good shop). As for today, probably going to kick back and have a rest day.

5. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    corona,

If you need help tomorrow you might have to hit up the retired guys
    Not us working stiffs haha
  6. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Corona,

Was the BMW shop able to assist this morning and get you to a point that you are comfortable with your wheel for the rest of the trip?
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have either sold him a rim or abducted him.
  8. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    or he is actually do what the rest of us should be doing. Riding, not typing. :jack

I know I spent way to much time dealing with tires today. But they were not for the 990.
  9. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah....there is that possibility

Work....keeps me out the streets
  10. Corona

Oddometer:
    Sorry, went a bit AWOL there!

So I hung out in Fayetteville until Tuesday and then rode to the Bentonville BMW bike shop. We turned top just after opening time to find it sadly closed. The shop was closed to give the staff a long weekend and it wasn't going to be open until Wednesday. As I was calling round working on options the owner turned up. He didn't have a wheel and wasn't able to sell me one off their second 800's wheels in exchange for a new one shipped in. However he thought the wheel would be OK on the TAT if I kept off the fast roads and suggested I head to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver.

I do want to say a big thank you to the crazy number of motorcyclists who offered help. I was sat outside Wallmart with my buddies and the bikes looking 'ADV'ed' when Shannon walks up and starts chatting to us. He has a GSA and had ridden the TAT. When he heard of my wheel woes he immediately started calling people and got me in touch with Wes the president of the BMW MOA who lived nearby! Wes offered more assistance and called Tulsa BMW to find out if they could help. A new wheel would take a day to overnight and cost a ridiculous $1200!

At this point we decided to just (literally) roll with it. I called Woody's where Chris couldn't have been more helpful. If I made it to Denver for Friday he would be able to fit a new Excel rimmed, super laced, bad ass 21" front wheel. As I was concerned about the tyre blowing off the rim when cornering it was a godsend to have such crazy straight trails in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Come yesterday I had some serious miles to burn and did a 450 mile day to Denver from Buffalo Oklahoma on straight highways toasting the last of my rear TKC80 in the process. By the time I was in Denver the wheel was no longer round and had a lovely 'lumpy' feeling...

Woody's couldn't have been a better experience. Love those guys. Rocked up, had my new wheel fitted super quick, got a new cut price knobby or my rear, a great value re-build on my damaged wheel, and a free hat! All for the price of a BMW wheel. Bike is now ready to tackle the Rockies and I will be riding back down to Trinidad to rejoin the TAT.

Thanks again to all the great people of Arkansas and Oklahoma for offering help. If you are ever in San Francisco hit me up for beers.
    mdawg12 and Dirt2007 like this.
  11. Corona

Oddometer:
    :raabiaWoody's

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

misterk likes this.
  12. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update!

Congrats to Woody's for stepping up... As always.

NFE