Wheel Selection Tips?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by vanislejay, Jun 7, 2019.

1. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm building up my parts stock to make a mongrel v-strom over the next winter. I want to swap over to spoked wheels with a 21 in the front mated to a different front end. I know to some extent I can mix and match rims and hubs and brakes to get the combo that works for me and I am sure I will end up doing that. Are there strength concerns with wheels? Like for example all fitament and tire issues aside, if I took a set of wheels off of a 250 mx bike would they be strong enough for a heavy adventure bike?
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A 250 brake rotor isn’t going to stop a vstrom too many times, ditto that the caliper.

Maybe look for ktm 950/990 front wheel to be able to still use twin discs

They do make a full thickness 320mm single rotor that should work @jdrocks uses them on the versys mutants, but he uses a proper caliper as well
  3. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    I mentioned that I will swap brakes around to get a combo that works. Asking about the wheel strength because at the moment I have an MX fork and triples in my basement that will easily swap onto the strom and I'm thinking about rebuilding it with proper springs and valving and contemplating aftermarket wheels that originally matched that fork anyways.

Good suggestion on the 950/990 wheel though, definitely something I will look into.
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d err on the side of maybe not the lightest latest and greatest 250, but maybe something drz, dr650 sized might be up for more weight
    JagLite likes this.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using DR650/DL650 hybrid forks (DR tubes in DL lowers) and a DR 650 front wheel with a 320mm rotor.
    Yes, only one front brake because I don't want the weight of a second caliper and rotor when the tire is the limiting factor for brake performance.
    I will see how the brake feels with a ss line and if it just isn't strong enough I will get a 4 piston caliper from a GSXR and possibly a radial master cylinder.
    I am using a Yamaha TW200 rear wheel on my bike.

I would recommend sticking with Suzi and using DR 650 wheels front and rear for your bike because they work, they are strong enough, and they are commonly available.

A 250 mx bike wheels are plenty strong for jumping on a bike that is light, putting those wheels on a heavy bike like a Wee is asking an awful lot.
    If you have them, give them a try and just keep checking the spokes.
    It is easiest to use a wheel that matches the forks, axle, spacers, and brake are all bolt on.
    Larger rotors and caliper mounts are available for most bikes.

I look forward to seeing what you do with your build! :beer
    villageidiot likes this.
  6. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no problem using a 250 mx wheel on a heavy bike, i used to run a guzzi off roader with a ktm 250 front end.
    that bike did more off road and mx tracks than your strom is likely to do.
    it had a 320 mm disk fitted ((easy to find as a supermoto conversion)
    vanislejay and JagLite like this.
  7. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    My base is a DL1000, so the DR650 lowers trick is a no go unless I swap the full fork, but I have a set of YZ250 forks in my basement with triples that I think I will try to use if I can find a suitable wheel and find a conversion for the proper brake. Looks like several folks have used those forks with varying degrees of success. I think I might be able to make it work to run a 21 in the front, with the longer forks and make sure the travel is limited to clear the new front wheel. I'm not sure of the stance though, but it should be cheap enough to make it feasible to experiment with.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Limiting the travel will shorten the forks by that amount which will help them not be tooooooo long.
    YZ wheels should be fairly easy to find.

If the steering bearings will work, or can be converted, and the steering stem will fit, it is a cheap way to try it and see.
    For testing, I would just use the stock mx brake then if I like how the new forks and wheel work on the bike, then I would find the brake parts to give it the stopping power I want.
    Then I would decide what spoke rear wheel to use.

It's all fun, right? :D
  9. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is pretty much exactly my plan.
    JagLite likes this.