1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Wheelchair sidecar build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by downunder123, Apr 16, 2011.

1. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    The frame color matches her dress so well.:clap
  2. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, thats just AWESOME! When I first saw it's pic over at Battlescooters, I thought you had just built it for a cool wild scoot, didn't know it was to ride with a wheelchair! Just looks so cool!

It just amazes me how well it was built. I could only imagine the difficulty and hard work that went into designing and building it.

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you can still enjoy riding! Have fun on it!
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day downunder123,,,,

have been keeping an eye out on your awesome progress from up yonder in the rockies,,,

you have made me re-think the entire 'chariot' sidecar/on-board wheelchair controlled solution,,the rigs of yore were truly death-traps/accidents waiting to happen.:cry

FYI,,,my entire career,,i have used my skills not just building designing/repairing wheels but also creating solutions for any of my wounded/physically challenged road-racing buddies at first and then all motorcyclists and eventually anyone that wanted to do X<y n="" z="" again[mostly="" in="" the="" re-creational="" domain]:="">,Y n Z again....
    some fun stories are in the 'about 'link..you'll chuckle 'cuz ' many of my journey's have led me down under on numerous occasions
    www.supelite.org

...anyway,,,long story short,,,as i mentioned ,,i may have threown the proverbial 'baby out with the bath-water' by dissing this concept,,

when the gimps in my life wanted to 'ride again' or go 'skiing again',,well i was dissatisfied with the prevailing solutions,,,IMHO and BWOE,,,riding one of those contraptions or getting a trike and/or a sidecar was not riding your motorcycle again,,nor was sliding down the mountain on a fiberglass toboggan with an ice pick in each hand skiing...

do you see where i'm coming from,,it was like 'hey!!,,don't tease me with that crap!!!i want to SKI!!!,,,, i want to RIDE!!

hence ,focusing my energies on designing a mono-ski that had suspension[what aconcept!!] with self-loading capabilities or a variety of shifting sytems for amputees,,stabilization systems that take the roads surface/angle into account etc.

participating in the 'first transcontinental solar car race in '87 from Darwin to Adelaide,,,proved what works and what works better,,,,there is a pecking order in what designs are mor stable then others,,,,the trick is figuring out how fast you wnt to drive again and over what kind of terrain and accepting the limits of what ya have:deal mother nature is a cruel mistress if ya go outside her boundaries:wink:
    nuff of that,,,go enjoy that mount of yours,,,

somewhere down the highway of life ya may want to look into the on the fly sidecar ride height adjust system,,,essentially a torsion bar system aka old VW bug suspension,,,with the torsion bars anchor point being capable of being rotated a few degrees via an arm that is attached to essentially an RV awning actuator drive/worm gear...when,ya push the 'up button it raises the side-car and vice-versa...so on the fly you can instantly adjust the stability and pull of the handle-bars....currently you compensate via your toe-in...Now visualize cruising down the road and instead of the rig pulling this way or that depending how heavy it is loaded,,,and instead with the push of the button you neutralize the effects of the load and can cruise in a straight line at whatever speed you choose with your hands off the bar:eek1:eek1:eek1

just for grins i learned i could actually steer the rig with just touching the ride height button...:wink:

so here's to ya :1drink
    woody</y>
  4. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Downunder, fantastic effort to all involved. Your daughter looks very happy with the results. :clap
  5. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hiya Woody

thanks for the interesting reply. I was bummed off for a lot of years after the accident that put me into a wheelchair, not really participating in life and pissed off at the things I could no longer do, like ride my Ducati. Getting on the road again was a big deal for me on a lot of levels, but fundamentally it was about riding the countryside by myself experiencing the smells of a spring as you only can on a bike. This new outfit gives me more pleasure than the old Duc because I know more about living in the moment.

I can see that having the ability to adjusting sidecar suspension height to account for load on the bike would be a lot of use if regularly taking a passenger. I’m solo mostly at the moment but hope to change that in the next few years as my girl grows. Would air adjustable shock with an on board compressor achieve the same? The engineering might be simpler?
    Cheers Brett
  6. crotchrocket3000

crotchrocket3000 b00b

Oddometer:
    What's in the end of the exhaust ???
  7. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Use the winch and Kedge the bastard out :rofl

Love the rig, mate. I think the WTF orange is actually a great complement to the blue scooty.

One less-important item that occurred to me is that the not-monkey-passenger will probably want something to hold onto with their hands, or at least some sides to the seating to keep them planted.

Can't wait to see more. :freaky
  8. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Yamaha actually market a Reverse Gear kit (8FA-W4759-20-00) but its intended for '03~05 RX-1/ ER and '05~'07 RS Vector . . . . snowmobiles (skidoos).

RX-1 Reverse Gear Kit

[​IMG]

There was discussion about friction-drive electric reverse in another thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10975877

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On the issue of varying the lean-out at the sidecar wheel- there is this hand-controlled method from yesteryear:
    [​IMG]
    (Click on image for 1337px × 1470px blowup)
  9. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day brett,,

i imagine you can raise/lower your ride height with a ''levelor'' shock absorber,,it will of course stiffen your sidecars suspension,,,whereas your suspension setting will remain the same in the version i mentioned....

it certainly is worth a try since it would essentially just require swapping the shock and installing either a seperately charged air tank or a mini compresssor ala Honda Gloldwings set-up

cheers,,woody
  10. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, agree. We had thought of mounting a sidecar body on the bike so she would be in the "sidecar" and totally restrained but it got abit complicated. It may have helped with the transport dept who decree kids need to be 8 yrs old "unless secured in a sidecar". I do intend to wait a few years for the monkey to get bigger so have a few years figure out the safest way to carry her.

this is brillant, one of the reasons ADVRIDER is such a great site. I've never seen those caravan movers but they look ideal if they can be bought off the shelf and are reasonably compact. Thanks!
  11. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Have a close look at light Electric Winches - (I bought one for my rideon mower; 500kg pull). They feature gearing between the motor & the cable spool which gear this spindle down quite slow. Converting the spool into a pressure roller is not so hard, and the reverse gear would be run at slow speeds in any practical case.

These devices even include a good mounting bracket, and run 12v with a remote control.
  12. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    How is this rig aging? Any news?
  13. Tom Krein

Tom Krein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VERY COOL!

Nice build!

Tom
  14. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the prompt, I've been meaning to add an update.

Yesterday we finished bars for the passenger on the bike and these have gone off to the powder coater, i'll post pics of these plus the other additions of late when the bars are fitted, hopefully next week.

I'm still in love with this outfit, with 6k now the motor is a bit smoother and pick up is nice and crisp. We changed springs on the sidecar and ride is smoother although you notice the difference left/right as the bikes shock is quite "stiff". Maybe down the track we'll change that for a lighter spring. I've added a small screen that made all the difference above 90km/hr, and we have added hand guards to keep the winter chills off. it's a great bike.
  15. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Presenting Cyclops….

A few more photo's of recent additions:

[​IMG]

Screen was a donated item from Pro Honda Rocklea and is very effective at taking away the pressure that previously was a hassle above eighty. Headlight was fitted mainly to fill the hole in the screen and is not yet wired as I don’t do much night riding. Still I will eventually get it wired up and it should be effective, it certainly is big enough.

[​IMG]

Hand guards are Backbusters Storm plastic on custom fabricated mounts. Been very useful this winter.

[​IMG]

Top box was a cheap ebay purchase to test the mount fitting. It works well especially as the underseat storage is no longer available (will be for reverse, one day). When finances improve I’ll get another box with greater volume, the mount is designed to take something bigger and the backrest will then be more effective. I can’t really get my head around the prices they want for these simple pieces of plastic, if style wasn’t important I think I’d be fitting a milk create.

[​IMG]

Dave as a sidecar racer is very proud of the monkey bar. Although the sidecar / bike are very close and my throttle and brake adaptions clutter my right bar end the placement of the passenger bars keeps arms and elbows well separated with no interference. That said nobody has yet been game for a long ride but test sitting by potential passengers works ok. Having the seat lowered seems to not have compromised the butt / feet relationship, there is still plenty of room there.

So that’s it, reverse hasn’t been missed yet and I think I may not bother. Then again it’s only a matter of money, maybe one day. The same for the long range tank, getting 250k a tank is ok but 500k would be better. As previously mentioned, I'm stoked, it's a beauty!
  16. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done!
  17. drdisk

drdisk Patron Saint of Sidecars

Oddometer:
    I saw this outfit parked at the Laverda Concours last Sunday and spent quite a while looking it over.
    It truly is an excellent job.
  18. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Very impressive, indeed.

Got me wondering how one could modify a Can Am Spyder to serve as a wheelchair platform....

[​IMG]

Seems like they could be customized quite a bit...

[​IMG]

Thanks for the inspirational build.
  19. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, these are popular with para's and low quads who can easily transfer out of their wheelchair. I ride with a mate who transfers onto a spyder, has his chair in a rack on the side and rides like a demon. i don't have the strength to do this, so it's not an option for me.
  20. downunder123

downunder123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents,

i'm building on my mates and my own experience with wheelchair accessible motorcycle derived vehicles and have set up a website for that purposes:

www.3wheels.org

All feedback much appreciated.

Brett