Whelan LIN-3 LED on 12GS (w/ firmware upgrade)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by autogiro, May 1, 2008.

1. autogiro

autogiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...
    I was one of many 12 GS owners who was very happy with my Gizmomill LED panel, until... the dreaded BMW firmware update that pretty much made them useless. (BTW I'm still holding out for a fix for the panel)

In the mean time I decided it was necessary to add some more light to the back of the GS. I looked around and found the Whelan LIN-3 LED module. It was nearly a perfect replacement for the reflector directly under the tail light cover and seemed pretty bright. I found it on FleaBay for about $40. I suppose you could also use a Whelan TIR-3 module and have a similar result.

I got it mounted up and was messing around with the power leads and to my amazement I found that connecting the red lead from the Whelan LIN to the stop lead of the tail light (and the black to the ground lead) that the LIN worked like the running light and when the brake was activated it activated the LIN flashing sequence! (sorry, I can't show the flashing sequence) I was shocked! (figuratively not literally).

Conncting it permanently was too easy. I went to Checker Auto and picked up some spade lug splitters and attached them to the back of the lamp assembly, put crimp terminals on the two LIN power leads and plugged them in... Voila! no splicing and no faults!

I terminated the striped lead on the LIN (it is only used to choose the flash cycle)

I don't have any idea why it works, all I know is that it does. And... it is so nice to have the cages keep their distance from me again.

Auto

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Scrounger

Scrounger Motomaggot

Oddometer:
    Looks outstanding. You lucked out since my riding buddy bought a new LED tail section for his Ducati 996 and you can barely see it. Does yours look as bright as the tail lights on the 2008 models?
  3. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    well done mate!

love to see a vid sometime

Shane
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat trick!! Thanks for sharing :thumb
  5. Bruce Caldwell

Bruce Caldwell Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a thread a good while back in the equipment forum about the Whelen TRI3 LED light that everybody raved about. They're lights are primarily marketed for police, fire & ambulance vehicles so they must be pretty good & they're not cheap.
  6. autogiro

autogiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scrounger, I haven't compared it to an 08 yet.

Bruce, Yep almost all authority bikes are using them. I checked the prices and they range from $50 to $90. I thought it was pretty good bang for the buck, pretty unobtrusive, and kindergarten easy to install.
    Auto
  7. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    May I ask a question ?

Is that expensive thing that usefull :huh ?

Do anybody have problem with LED modules from other brands with a new firmware ?

Paul Jr
  8. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Funny you bring this up.
    Last year, I ordered up an LED set up from Nippy Normans on the other side of the pond, for my Ducati ST4. Very nice bit of equipment, it has many (20 or 30 maybe) LEDs on a PCB. Plug and play as they say. My only problem is that I couldn't find a clear lense to really let those red LEDs shine through. So as a result the light was only marginally better than the stock 1157 bulb, that fully utilizes the reflector. (Aftermarket LEDs don't usually utilize the reflector, they rely on their own brightness.)

After I got the R12GS I picked up the TIR3 unit from Whelen, which looks just like the one the Autogiro has. I mounted mine in the same spot. Man that thing is bright! I have received many comments from fellow bikers, and I am usually able to get tail gators to back WAY off.

Sounds like the LIN-3 unit maybe even better due to the "Running light" feature Autogiro describes. At night, my TIR-3 has a very dim glow. But could not be considered a running light.

I have something like 11 different flash sequences to choose from including a solid burn.

I purchased directly from Whelen. Great folks.
    http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.php?head_id=12&cat_id=74&prod_id=145

To answer the question:
    I would bet that it is very similar to the 08 set up.