When a "good" addiction becomes "bad"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by djroszina, Jan 6, 2019.

1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 58 yo and have had two wheels underneath me since 9 yo. I can't ever see me without several motorcycles of various types in the garage with dual sports being dominant, DRZ400s on low end with R1200GS on the big end with a few in-between.

Here is my dilemma, I live and dream about adv style rides, everything from local trail riding to Colorado / Moab and several trips to Alaska. I spend my waking moments setting up bikes and planning trips...and now the problem, I find myself struggling to enjoy myself while actually on the trip. I'm not bored, I'm just not happy...I'm running out of ability to achieve the wide eyed youthful amazement...but yet I can't stop thinking, planning, and going on trips. I believe this is the definition of an addiction. The main problem that this addiction is revealing is the now 'bad" aspect being the lack of enjoyment.

Does anyone else experience this, and is there any strategy for getting the good back into it?
  2. AwDang

AwDang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.....”been there, done that” is real
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there's an element of anticipation when you prep for a trip and then the trip itself becomes anticlimactic. Maybe the trip doesn't live up to expectations. Or maybe you enjoy the preparation part - knowing you did a good job getting ready. Ever try being more spontaneous? Or do shorter trips? Maybe even a different goal - trials riding, a track day school, etc.
    Barry, Eatmore Mudd and neanderthal like this.
  4. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fess up guy...you're getting older. Life/things change. If it's not as fun as it was and now becoming a chore to live in the past...don't do it! You're old enough to decide what you like and what you don't like. I'm older than you are and my life,choice of bikes, needs, expectations, economics have certainly changed. Some of it sucky some of it kinda cool. Think, dream, evaluate and do what you like.
    JohnCW, craigincali and KLRUSERIOUS? like this.
  5. Grestil

Grestil 2+2=unicorn

Oddometer:
    I've had this problem too. There are aspects of motorcycling that I have worn out. My journies have always been impulsive and only vaguely planned. Kind of pick a direction and go. I don't enjoy this like I used to. I changed things up a bit setting goals and planning routes and this has helped with me. Let me to alot of places I would never go. Rode all the way to the Oregon coast this year, got to the Pacific ocean which was a much anticipated bucket list goal and said......meh. No way will I give up motorcycles but the way iveI been doin it so far doesn't Rodger my Hammerstein anymore. I don,t know if I would use the word addiction. Not in my case. Fifteen years ago I gave up cars entirely and completely adapted my life to 2 wheeled transportation. It influenced all aspects of my life. It was a part of my identity for a long time and now the goals have been acheived. Manuevering a small ds in urban urban traffic sound like fun? It used to be. Jump the ramp bump the curb ride up the concrete rain gutter to get to the elevated parking lot. It's mechanical now. A means to an end. The rut might be pretty awesome, but it's still a rut.
    Alexander B likes this.
  6. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On trips with two close friends, I’m the defacto trip planner - routes, motels, restaurants, POIs. I get enjoyment from seeing the trip through their eyes, as I often feel like I’ve already ridden it from my laptop during the planning months. If I were to plan accordingly for me only, I think I’d experience your lack of enthusiasm once riding the long-anticipated, long-planned trip on a meticulously prepared bike to minimize trouble during my finite trip window.

I’ve really enjoyed signing up for Rallies on this site and just showing up with $ in my pocket and camping gear strapped down. If it’s a base camp type event, you get to pick one of several rides each morning. If it’s point-to-point, just follow the group and enjoy the scenery. It’s refreshing compared to rides where I have to be tour guide for days on end.

Another option is to pack a bag and just head a direction for a few days. My wife left town for a long weekend. Last minute, I thought, “Why sit around here all weekend?” I had wanted to spend time in and around Taos. Gassed up the bike and headed south for a couple nights. It was a blast (felt like I a kid again)!

Short answer - simplify.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, how much do you enjoy music and do you ride with it?
    Alexander B and neanderthal like this.
  8. djroszina

djroszina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love music, but never ride with it on the bikes. The thing is, I'm not miserable or bored with the bike itself, it is more a funk that I'm experiencing...the aspect of motorcycling for decades was able to overpower the icky feeling I often experience day in and day out...but it is less effective now for the past few years. I know I am OCD and a bit of an adrenaline junky...I'm retired from the fire department, that was a trip at times, but those days are over and that aspect of adrenaline rush is over and behind me. I am not looking for that excited rush, more of like that sence of accomplishment and bliss.
    Alexander B likes this.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    Most people start having kids when they lose the lust for life. lol
    DeepBarney, ChopperCharles and Barry like this.
  10. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's time you become a guide and share your experiences with the young or New to the sport.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  11. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    I'm a planner too, and two things struck me as possible causes:
    1. You may be planning too much. You need to go on trips that are not planned to the nth degree. Let serendipity dictate your course.
    2. Your trips may be too short. It takes me about 4 days to get into it, and 14-21 days for the mind to relax and to become a new person.

Do both together.

As for "wide eyed youthful amazement", that will be difficult to achieve unless you do something new, and you probably won't find it in North America.
    Try riding S.E. Asia, Colombia or Europe.
    Alexander B likes this.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is not a slight on non English speaking countries, but I am very insecure where I don’t speak the language. As far as exposing the youth to motorcycling, I’ve got several under my belt with my 8yo twin granddaughters being the latest as of last summer. 66AC1CF5-9EF2-4278-9FA2-3D7B2D9493F9.jpeg
  13. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe some would describe your (and my) feelings as "burnout". It has happened to me with all the hobbies I have been involved with (and I am not young by any means).

Sooner or later, the love is gone.

As I mentioned on another thread, I envy those who can remain excited for decades about, well, anything. I'm just not that way, and i don't know if there is anything I can do about it. I guess it's a "first world problem".

Oddly, at night while reading these threads, I fantasize about taking a trip, or getting a new motorcycle, but come morning...meh.
    KLRUSERIOUS? and Grestil like this.
  14. djroszina

djroszina Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I’ll admit going through a biker phase as a 1% poser in the early 90s, there is one ride that I’ve taken almost every year since 1992. It’s my ride from Milwaukee to Sturgis for the Rally. The meare thought of missing it ignites a sense of manic depression. I mostly ride a dualsport of some kind these days and love disappearing into the Black Hills and discovering new trails. Over 20 times, and it never gets old.
    Alexander B likes this.
  15. DennisV

DennisV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    " No way will I give up motorcycles but the way I've I been doing it so far doesn't Rodger my Hammerstein anymore."

The high point of the thread so far . . . :beer
    Billy52 and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd agree with the over-planning thing but it's also true some people do just burn out. Looking at the friends I've had over the years, most do. So far I seem to be the exception.

I was thinking of doing a one or two day ride (~800k) over the Christmas break, but it was just too ****ing hot and I didn't feel up to it. Not obsessing about it, about as much forward planning as I'll do will be checking for accommodation overnight in advance if I do decide to go. I've never done a really long ride, longest has been about a week but I've found that even a day with no one else to talk to gets me back in touch with myself anyway.
    Alexander B and Suncoaster like this.
  17. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn’t getting out of your comfort zone THE big thing to enjoy on a motorcycle trip?

Different signs, bends, traffic flow, scenery, logistics in every region?

North America is vast, but a LOT of it is redundant after a while.
    And if you add over planning to that, you find yourself not only on roads that look exactly like the ones you travelled in the past but also know about every detail to every POI in advance, killing the fun.

Keeping planning to a minimum, making things interesting by choosing a bike with limitations or features that will make you take different decisions on the fly about the route, type of accomodation, hours on the bike per day etc.

And... Go to Europe! Most of It is safe and regarding the language thing, most people in europe speak a bit of english or the universal improvised sign language.

You’m ride roads that were built with a different approach, and travel in a place that just doesn’t function the way you are used to.

Even if you plan it you’ll be amazed how much stuff will surprise you.
    Gaazz!! and Suncoaster like this.
  18. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Time to take up ice fishing.

Reset your Zen.

:norton

xfs_700x500_s96_Ice 9.jpg
    DeepBarney and Strong Bad like this.
  19. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    Maybe look at all the individual skills and aspects of adv riding. Pick one that is just needed but in the back of your mind. What do we do when we are on a 1200 mile trip solo. Mechanic, first aid, navigation, meteorology, for me the history of the places I go, photography and all the others.

Likely, theres at least one of these that you know just enough to get by. Pick one to really get into. Learn that thing inside and out. Take a CC class, seek people that this is their life, they are experts and more importantly, know how to teach. Throw out anything you think you know and start from square one to learn from the ground up. I like to take this approach with anything I enjoy doing so I can apply my new knowledge when Im out camping and exploring.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  20. pjciii

pjciii Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i got a a small class c motorhome to fix that. now i can have my home and my addiction with me. my reasons were simple
    1. i am getting older. was still easy to lay down on the ground. getting off the ground was getting harder.
    2. i can still do long rides But, it is taking me longer to recover from what i was putting myself thru. 12 hour days. short nights. bad roads.
    3. drivers are getting stupid. they are in a 3000 pound weapon driving to fast. to distracted and just don't see the need to get the blinker option on their car or truck.
    4. i am happier and enjoy my destination more.
    just to name a few

that is just me. i am 62 and this all started 4 years ago.
    patrick