when and where to ride arkansas?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Bearcat263, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Bearcat263

Bearcat263 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody was just wondering what you guys consider the best time of the year is to be down riding in arkansas. myself and a buddy are thinking about doing a week long trip and would be bringing both bikes street and enduro with us. would take any advice as to when and possibly where to start from would be basing out of an RV.
    Thank you in advance Mike :beer
  2. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    LongPool would be a good place to base from.
    South edge of the National Forest, easy access to Hwy 7 for the street and right next to lots of trails starting at Mac Pines, with a great swimming hole there for colling off in the evenings.
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Long+Pool+Road,+Dover,+AR&amp;aq=1&amp;sll=35.675705,-93.742218&amp;sspn=0.036744,0.055189&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Long+Pool+Rd,+Dover,+Pope,+Arkansas+72837&amp;z=14&amp;ll=35.53797,-93.152747&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Long+Pool+Road,+Dover,+AR&amp;aq=1&amp;sll=35.675705,-93.742218&amp;sspn=0.036744,0.055189&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Long+Pool+Rd,+Dover,+Pope,+Arkansas+72837&amp;z=14&amp;ll=35.53797,-93.152747" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Another option is staying up at Cass, and the Byrds Outdoor Adventure center campground.
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Byrd's+Adventure+Center,+Cass+Oark+Road,+Ozark,+AR&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=35.677797,-93.734064&amp;sspn=0.036743,0.055189&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=Byrd's+Adventure+Center,+Cass+Oark+Road,&amp;hnear=Ozark,+Franklin,+Arkansas&amp;ll=35.675844,-93.742309&amp;spn=0.415392,0.187853&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Byrd's+Adventure+Center,+Cass+Oark+Road,+Ozark,+AR&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=35.677797,-93.734064&amp;sspn=0.036743,0.055189&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=Byrd's+Adventure+Center,+Cass+Oark+Road,&amp;hnear=Ozark,+Franklin,+Arkansas&amp;ll=35.675844,-93.742309&amp;spn=0.415392,0.187853" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

ITs hot and humid right now in the Summer.
    I prefer Spring or Fall.

Sorry the maps are backwards.
    Long Pool is Dover Ar, and Byrds is Cass.
  3. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I went through the Ozarks on the way to Texas in mid-April and came back in mid May and dodged twisters both times. Same thing happened a couple of years before. I still like the spring the best but October and November would be good too.
  4. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I usually base out of Russellville. And then just head north. You won't go wrong. Lot's of usual suspects. I like 341 and the southern part of 123 the best (the northern Mt. Judea part is too choppy for me to really want to hang it out). I avoid Eureka Springs. BTDT. No reason to ever go back.

I like Mountain Home and Mountain View and a foray into Southern Missouri is just a skip away.

I have not mastered Arky dual sport. Haven't found the right roads yet. Spent days on dull FS roads that just went up and then down all day long. Then I see all these wonderful roads the locals post about. Just fantastic!! I know they are there but, this is one place local knowledge rules. Post on the Arky threads and they'll likely be helpful.

As to time of year , anytime but when the bluehairs are watching the leaves turn on the Talimena. That is pure Hell.
  5. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I like it all the time, but then I live here too...we can point you to GPS trax if'n you need em..
  6. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, too hot now, but we're still riding. Got a 2 day trip coming upthis weekend.

Longpool is a really neat place if you're gonna camp. Best time is Oct or Nov and again Mar thru May.
  7. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    103 out of Clarksville to 215 along the Mulberry...

another great stretch of road to really air it out is 235 from Marshall over to Yellville, great sweepers with no blind corners, no traffic, fantastic pavement quality, then follow 14 south to the Buffalo, over to 341, etc. doesn't get much press, but that's OK as well.
  8. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Middle of September usually works great for street riding. Not much chance of rain, it's cooler than August, and the slow movers aren't clogging the roads looking at leaves.
  9. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:

I'd agree with that, Fall in the Ozarks is the BEST! Nothing like riding twisties with some leaves falling.
  10. Bearcat263

Oddometer:
    Yea we wre kinda thinking middle to late sept. ourselves what are the camp areas like that time of year, school should be back up and going so we were thinking may not be quite as many people out and about might just be nice and quiet. is the lakes or national forest areas a better place to camp and ride out of.

Mike :D
  11. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not for me. I avoid Central Avenue (hwy 7) every time I can. If you want to see Bathhouse Row go ahead and do it.
  12. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I'll second what Ted said. The fall is perfect here. Warm enough, dry enough and beautiful. Like Doc said if you need tracks we probably have some to share.
  13. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how self contained your RV is or how rough a road you will take it down. There are several 30-40 acre lakes with primitive camping. My favorite is a mile or less from pavement, but it is a rough mile. I'm taking my 6 year old kayaking there next week.
  14. Bearcat263

Oddometer:

I am fully self contained or can be plugged in and hooked to water small little lakes like that off the beaten path might just make me have to get an out of state fishing license might have to think about that also what better way to get to some of the off the beaten path fishing than with an enduro

Mike :D
  15. apostle2

apostle2 The road less traveled.

Oddometer:
    From personal experience I perfer full hookups (including waste) if using a Camper/RV. Its nice not having to worry about the crapper getting full and having to deal with it. If your enduro bikes are street legal also, I would recommend Russellville, AR. Russellville is centrally located for the majority of the good roads and trails and has several RV Parks with full hookups. Outdoor Living Center RV Park (north side of Russellville on Hwy. 7) has Wi-Fi so you can keep us updated on your rides and chat with us about ride locations (we may even get to ride with ya). There are several national, state and forrest service parks to choose from if that is what you want. Click here.

September, October and November is best. We ride in the Spring only when weather permits (its so unpredictable and usually very very wet).

We can hook you up with some great tracks or routes for some great riding on and off road, easy stuff or extremely butt puckering rough.
  16. Bearcat263

Oddometer:
    that would really be the easiest just hook up to everything and forget about it. yes the enduro's are street legal so going anywhere with them is not a problem but we also thought about bringing along the street bikes also to go and ride some of the paved roads as well. yea when we get things a little more set as far as dates and such would really like it if someone that knew the area was along to show us the sights and the country, other wise we'll just pick a direction and go and see what we can find.

Thanks Mike :beer
  17. devrodirt

devrodirt devro

Oddometer:
    I didn't read all the comments but here are mine, might be just saying what others have already....

Street riding is good in fall and spring, and often there are weeks in the middle of the winter too.
    Spring means rain and lots of deep creeks to cross if you are off the pavement.
    Fall usually brings low creek levels but they are also a lot more slick.

A good place to base camp is just up HWY 23 from Cass (north of Ozark). Mulberry Mountain Resort. They have a LOT of RV spots and the place is very rarely cowded, you might find yourself there all alone.
    Good people run the place and you will be in the center of a LOT of good on-road and off-road riding.

They do put on a festival or two in the fall and you don't want to be there when one of those is going on, so check first.
    Check 'em out: http://www.mulberrymountainlodge.com/
    It's one of my favorite places to pay-to-camp. Nice shower house with LOTS of hot water too!
    I'm not afiliated with the place, just like the place.

Take advantage of the tracks/routes some of the locals have offered, it's good stuff.
  18. Woody469

Woody469 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's Bearcat263 and I who are looking to do this ride, I think it would be awesome to have locals with us to hit the best spots and show off their beautiful area! I am SO looking forward to getting down there on the DS bike! I have been going down on my sport bike for about the last 3 years and LOVE it! Last year we went a week before Bikes, Blues & BBQ to avoid all that chaos, we spent one night at The Hub in Harrison, it was pretty awesome! I have relatives in Bella Vista so the past years we have based out of there but Mike and I are going to be doing it as he said from an RV this year and will be looking to enjoy the best of both worlds, street and backroads! Thanks for all your help and guidance and I hope we get to hook up with some of you while there?
  19. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    well then, just holler up as y'all are gettin ready to head down this way and let us know what to look for (camp spot and RV discription etc) and we will hunt y'all down...surely between us all here, we can come up with a guide or two for ya..
  20. Woody469

Woody469 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome Doc, sounds good to me!