When are you going to Baja/Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by McMaster, Oct 18, 2007.

1. McMaster

McMaster Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer:
    I wanted to start a thread that people could add their dates of travel and where they will be and maybe an identfier like an ADV sticker on their bike....I am leaving for Baja/Mexico this winter and would like to plan my trip maybe when I could possibly have the best chance to run into others down there as I am planning on heading down solo with the hopes of spending a few days with as many other riders as I bump into along the way ....

So post away maybe dates and towns or routes you are taking

Billy
  2. Springs

Springs Shipping Wars

Oddometer:
    My son Danno and I are heading into Baja early Novemeber for a month + or -.
    Nothing set in stone as to routes and stops. PM me maybe we can hook up during this time frame.
    Springer
  3. McMaster

McMaster Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer:
    That should be a great trip afraid I won't be laid from my job till November 24th but hoping more people will continue to post on hear so you should be able to track down others ..I figured this will be a great way for people to join up for rides or lunch down south ..I will post this thread on some other threads keep checking back!!

Thanks Billy
  4. PlasticSun

PlasticSun Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer:
    I'm departing Denver for Copper Canyon and Baja monday (10/22). Headed to Creel first via Las Vegas NM, and El Paso. After that I'll get my way over to Topolobampo some how and catch the ferry to La Paz and take the 1 north with a few little off road excursions. Should be exiting by Tecate on the 1st or 2ed of Nov.

I'll be on the loaded down Dakar with the extra fuel tanks, Zegas, PVC tripod case and orange top box. Drop me a PM if you want to try and meetup anywhere.
  5. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Bay Area on Nov. 1st for San Diego.

Leaving San Diego around Friday morning, Nov. 2nd and heading for El Rosario or Santa Ines if all goes well; destination La Paz in 3 or 4 days time.

Baja 1000 may preclude getting a room in some towns so will have to be flexible/creative (packing my tent and sleeping bag).

Riding a black and silver GSPD with yellow Ortlieb bag, silver Zegas, yellow Nolan and lots of reflective tape. Willing to tag along or ride with others going my way (all pavement this trip).
  6. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Based on info I've mined here and elsewhere in the last two months, its likely you'll be stumbling over other riders in many places. Especially in Baja and Copper Canyon. From what I can tell there are hundreds there NOW and more coming and going constantly. Tis the season....

I have no firm schedule and no ADV stickers, but no worries, you won't lack for company. Mainland Mexico is more stretched out, but in the popular spots I'd bet you encounter riders.

Have a safe ride!
  7. LarryB

LarryB Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer:
    4 of us departing on XL650s from San Felipe on the 15th of Nov, arrive Cabo on +- 20th. We are going to try to avoid the pavement but also want to avoid the damage from the Score 1000. We want to explore the peninsula at Conception bay a bit. Then further south look for a route on the east side from Puerto Agua Verde south to LaPaz. Thanksgiving at the Mar De Cortez in Cabo. Then do the reverse in Fab/Mar

Where do I get an ADV sticker?

Also I need to get my 650 from the Seattle area to Reno area sometime in the next few weeks if anyone has any ideas.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I must ride all the unpopular spots. I have seen few bikes on the road and never met anybody... :dunno

Gustavo
  9. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    You have good local knowledge Gustavo...and friends in nice places:deal

But in Gringo intensive burgs I mostly always see riders. Even in '98 I saw riders in Copper Canyon (numbers there have gone up by 400%), in fact there was a Pancho Villa tour there both in '98 and again in '06. Further south we saw riders in Mazatlan, San Blas and Puerto Vallarta. Further south and inland very few until Oaxaca. Zipolete and other beach resort areas usually have a few passing through every day.

In Baja, just wait at a Pemex, restaurant or popular bar for two or three hours....someone on a bike will come through guaranteed. A dirt biker, dual sport, Harley guys, or even sport bike guys.

Heading back north on my last trip we passed over 50 riders headed south between San Agustine and and Santa Rosalia. Mostly BMW GS's, but many brands mixed in. No, they were not a "Pack" but spread out in groups of three and four. Probably Cabo bound. Who else but BMW guys would pay for Cabo? But after all, there is only one paved main road there!
    :freaky
  10. PSYCLOPS

PSYCLOPS Diduseedasizeofdatchickin

Oddometer:
    I F'ed up and watched "Dust To Glory" about a year-and-a-half ago.

I traded 2-stroke dirt only ('88 cr500) for a bike I can ADV ride with ('08 KLR).

I leave for Cabo November 9th from Dallas,TX hoping to be on the ferry in La Paz the morning of the 12th.

I'm on a green '08 KLR 650 with ammo can panniers (redneck special).

No riding buddy:eek1

All my buddies are "to responsible to take a trip where the banditos are going to rob, murder, and run over you while driving drunk!"

Why does everyone tell me that I'm "gonna die down there"?

I'll be fine, Right?:dunno
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It's that Cocoon Symdrome...:D
  12. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Cabo is great! The Mar de Cortez Hotel is pretty cheap and close to the middle of everything. About time to head back I think!
  13. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
    You will have a blast! Where are you crossing the border and where are you catching the boat to La Paz?
  14. PSYCLOPS

Oddometer:
    I'm crossing at Ojinaga and will be catchin' the boat at Topolobampo!

Wahooooo!!!!!!:clap

I want to tear ass right now!:thumb

:ricky
  15. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
    Ride with you A game and watch for road hazards. Figure out how many Pesos it takes to top off you bike and give the exact amount to the gas pump jockey. They love to rip off gringos by shorting on change or playing games with the pump. On my Vstrom I would usually put 90 Pesos in the tank and give the guy a 10 Peso tip out of a $100 Peso bill. Make sure when you change your money they don't give you torn bills or bills marked by a majic marker. Almost no one accepts those.
    I for one am amazed at how different Baja is from the rest of Mexico. It is a very cool place. Check out Hotel California in Todos Santos. they say it is the real place the song is named after.
  16. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Really not appropriate to tip Pemex guys. And I've rarely had a problem with anyone ever short changing me at the pump....but ....Huero..:D...you have to learn the money!...and the coins. :deal And don't forget to say "Buenos dias" (or tardes or noche) Means a lot there...a common courtesy everyone observes. Should be the FIRST thing out of your mouth.

I always use the Pemex as my bank to break big bills....because no one has change for a 500...except the Pemex guys.
    I most always break a 500 peso bill at every fill up. I try to round off my fill up amount, like up to an even 100 pesos or whatever. Then pay with a 500. What could be easier?

After I'm paid up, I'll give them a 50 and ask for coins (monedas). Once you've built a stash...your good. (most common coins are 10, 5, 2, and I peso coins.)
    Don't bother with anything smaller than I peso coin. Confusing.

GOOD ADVICE about the torn/taped up bills. This is a relatively new deal. But now, some places (especially small tiendas in the boonies) don't like torn/taped up or marked on bills. Some Pemex guys will pawn these off on Gringos and sometimes you'll get monedas no longer used (rare), or Canadian coins. (common). Leave all your USA change behind. Makes it hard finding Mex coins when you need them.

When fueling just stay focused on the event. Should be fine. And don't give money away....its insulting to them. Better to smile and ask about their family.
  17. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT ADVICE, DJANGO! Especially that "Buenas dias should be the first thing out of your mouth." I LIKE THAT!

I'm leaving in about another week for Baja and I will utilize this post like no other for every gas/pit stop! !

Garcias, amigo!
  18. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Pardon my typo; that's "Gracias, Amigo!"
  19. PSYCLOPS

Oddometer:
    Good advice, Thanks.

Will be on my toes watchin' the road and keepin' an eye on the gas jockeys.

:thumb
  20. PSYCLOPS

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm soakin' up info like a sponge:thumb