When are you going to Baja/Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by McMaster, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Leaving San Diego on November 12. Riding straight through to Mulege. November 13, Mulege to La Paz. November 13-16, playing in La Paz, Cabo, and Todos Santos. Nov. 16, returning North. Home by Nov. 17.

Will be on black 990a w/ zega cases, orange jacket, and white Arai XD. Con suerte, nos vemos.

Ciao
  2. CARRERASBAJA

CARRERASBAJA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to spectate the Baja 1000. Live in the Coachella Valley. Riding to Mexicali through Laguna Salada. Leaving early morning with my 2002 DR200. I have not been through there but heard from a few friends that it is doable and it takes you to Mex 3 Highway. From there i will head to Ensenada to see the tech inspection . They are from 10:30 am to 5:30 PM. After tech inp. head back to hwy 3 and find a place to camp out by the race course. I dont want to ride at night . May get a little cold . Early morning get up and watch some motorcycles . Then get ready to see the Trophy trucks somewheres around Mikes Sky ranch if I am Lucky. I may head to the BAJA 1000 ADV PIT CREW at
    JSMDA RR Mountains RM 145 Between Mike's and El Coyote
    Radio Relay and emergency pit/SCORE Rescue 2

Stay for awhile if no traffic and then head back home through HWY3 ,La guna Salada, Mexicali and back to Coachella Valley Tuesday night.

This is my first Dual SPort trip to Baja. I have made it out here on street bike but only to Ensenada. Most of my other trips out there were on 4wheel drive vehicles with friends. This time doing it solo cause I am the only one who rides a bike plus they can't tear away from work. This will be a prelude to my Baja trip to La Paz of of these days.

I am just getting ready need a few things before i go. Need tire repair kit and pump. Need to fabricate rear rack and skid plate .

I will be on a Yellow 2002 DR200. Grey white gear and Red Grey helmet with out visor. Its my lucky helmet that I used when I raced Quads in District38 Imperial Valley.

Attached Files:

3. CrazyLegs

CrazyLegs In midlife crisis.

Oddometer:
    Hey all - I'm planning to head to Baja on the 24-25th Nov from Phoenix, spending a week or so getting to La Paz, then Ferry to Mazatlan. From there it's to Puerto Vallarta for a little bit of spanish class, and to the Yucatan after that, leaving PV the 9th or 16th.

I'm be on an R1200GS, with Vario and Pelican cases, should have an ADV sticker on. I'd love to hook up for a ride, or a drink.

See you out there!
  4. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Leaving this Thursday afternoon for Mexicali -- cross the border Saturday morning...thinking about running straight down to Mulege -- any thoughts as to how long a bust-ass, straight through trip to Mulege would take? 1 or 2 days?

Thanks.
  5. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got 17 days off approved. Plan to slab it to San Diego on 12/21 and cross the border on Sat. 12/22/07. Don't have to back to work till 1/7/08.

Only 85 miles from family in Cali. so spending X-mas down there is not an issue. First time on a bike in Baja, gonna be great.
  6. utahrpm

utahrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two days from the border is the smart / fun way. You can do it all in daylight and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. It is slow going the first couple of hundred miles below the border, then opens up nicely. Often repeated advice is not to ride after dark in Mexico, and that is excellent advice for a couple of reasons.
    1. Black cow/black road/black night = dead rider
    2. Even more drunks out after dark
    3. No shoulder in many places
    4. Mexican truckers running with lights off. Macho I suppose.

Take two days to Mulege, you won't regret it.
  7. utahrpm

utahrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I suddenly don't have to be anywhere until Dec. 13th or so. Thinking of taking off right after Thanksgiving (could possibly go earlier if required) for 18 -20 days. Trucking my KTM 640 Adventure to San Diego. Some camping, some motels, mostly good dirt roads, but some mildly challenging ones too. I've done 17 self-guided trips to Baja since '94 so I know my way around fairly well, although my Spanish is STILL only one step above useless! Looking for an easy going type who doesn't mind stopping for photos and note taking (I'm working on a book). While we won't be doing any single track, sand and roughness are a reality so your physical fitness, riding skills (and machine) need to be up to it. You certainly don't need to be an expert (I'm certainly not), but this isn't a newbie trip either. Some long days, mostly moderate days and hopefully a bunch of non-riding beach days with a Corona. Definately going as far south as Mulege/Loreto, possibly further, and plan to see both coasts. I'm not into the McDonalds scene in Cabo. I'm a 53 year old Airline Pilot and a lifetime rider. If you've never done Baja before I do have strong opinions on how it should be done so as to have fun rather then misery. (I've had both) This is too short of a notice for my usual group so I'm looking for new friends. Thanks.

Rick
    Give me a call at 801-718-1986 to discuss.
  8. Papa Dulce

Papa Dulce Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    We are crossing at TJ in the morning and headed south. Taking several days to make Cabo and LaPaz before crossing and back up through Copper Canyon and Big Bend. There are two of us on Honda 650s (one L and one R). Flag us down for a beer and to exchange info. No real plan for the route, just as much dirt as possible.
    Papa
  9. McMaster

McMaster Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer:
    Finally got my rehire dates ...Looks like I will be heading down to Baja from about Jan 23 through Feb 20th I am planning on Baja and then possibly heading to mainland by ferry at some point that will all depend on who I run into down there ...I am heading towards Mulege directly possible hit some fishing points on the way and how long I hang will be dependent on the catch...I am taking a 8wt & 10wt flyrod plus spearfishing stuff plan on eating my fill of seafood...I am pretty flexible when it comes to my itinerary so if any one is heading down around that time would love to do some rides and adventures and I will do my best to provide fresh fish or lobsters for dinner....Baja Rocks!!!
  10. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    In san felipe right now....hotel room on the beach....fish tacos in the belly...life is good...

i plan on riding, well, south tomorrow....that´s as far as the plan goes...

on a blue KTM 950....maybe i´ll run into someone out here.... :freaky
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Do it, man.
    Watch those rims.
  12. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

FREE WILLY!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO CAT GO!!!!!
    GITTERDONE, HAVE SOME FUN!!!
  13. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Just got back myself. Did La Paz to San Diego in 21 hours.

Never again. Totally nuts. The last 9 hours were in the dark. The stretch from Catavina to Santo Tomas is a total bitch. Nasty turns, trucks at breakneck speed, and there were LOTS of drunken gringos coming back from the race. Not fun.

When I got back, I contemplated blasting around town for 45 minutes so I could qualify for an iron butt, but said,"f--k it," and went home and slept.

My wife is understandably pissed.

Ciao
  14. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Hola amigo;

Glad to see you made it back AOK and in one piece.

I understand exactly what you are talking about, especially in the northern stretch. I aborted my Bay Area to La Paz mission completely after a rather harrowing ride from Tecate to Ensenada on Mex Hwy 3 two weeks ago today.

Lots of monstrous trucks barreling around turns and down steep grades with abandon, gusty cross winds that pushed my heavily-laden GSPD all over the narrow lanes (steep cliffs on either side for extra thrill-factor), and making slow progress with a tight time constraint forced me to reconsider the whole enchilada once I arrived in Ensenada.

The last few hours I rode in darkness and it was very hard for me to see the road---as throughout Baja, little or no shoulder to even pull over to let others pass, too. I swore I would not ride at night but, heh, I needed to get somewhere to stay the night and I lucked out with a great place and superb dinner in Ensenada in the end.

I called my wife after dinner who was in the Bay Area but flying out the next day to visit her family in Mexico. She arranged a plane ticket for me so I could also fly to Guadalajara a few days later from Oakland (we had originally planned to hook up there, fly back to La Paz and ride home together) and replanned the rest of our vacation without doing any more riding (at least for then).

To make a long story short, I bid Baja adios and I rode back up Hwy 3 to Tecate, had lunch on the plaza and rode back though the firestormed hills of San Diego and beyond to the next day. Taking 101 most of the way again slowed me down and it was so damp and cold near Salinas I spent the night there despite being only 100 miles from my Bay Area destination. I was fatigued and cold---not a good combination on any bike.

But I arrived safe and sound and caught my flight the following afternoon.

Guadalajara, Lagos de Moreno, Tequila amd Puerto Vallarta were all great. We took a little boat down to Yelapa, too, which was as beautiful and serene as Bora Bora---no kidding---what a great place!

We flew back from Vallarta last night and will be flying back home to Hawaii in a couple of days (putting the Beemer back in the garage until the next riding opportunity comes along).

It was a shame to curtail the GSPD adventure in Baja but sometimes circumstances dictate a sudden change in course that is for the best.

I will post further details and some photos here on ADV as well as the BMW MOA website forums when I get a chance after returning home, if anyone is interested. I did discover a perfect motel with secure parking and a terrific steakhouse in Ensendada, that made my mini-ride memorable for the better, at least.

Thanks again, Pelon, for letting me store some dead weight at your casa on the way down, too. It was very good to make your acquaintance and I was wondering how your long and fast ride to La Paz was going even when my wife and I were in Vallarta and elsewhere (I watched the ride reports from a few cyber-cafes from time to time).

Cuidate mucho and good (safe) riding to all.

Mexico is todo fantastico, and I'm lucky we were still able to enjoy and experience more of it after cutting short the planned ride.
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Six guys, six days all off road. Trucking bikes from Portland, OR on 4/25-26 to Santa Veronica. Day 1 SV to Mikes, Day 2 Mikes to Gonzaga, Day 3 Gonzaga to El Rosario, Day 4 ER to Erendira, Day 5 Erendira to Mikes, Day 6 Mikes to SV.
  16. 2 Wheels

2 Wheels .

Oddometer:
    I've heard the "logic" behind this is so ther police won't see them.
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's for energy conservation.

:lol3

Gustavo
  18. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Yuma 12/31 and taking five days to Cabo, five days there and then five days back. By myself so far...I'll keep an eye out for the rest of you!
  19. ArvadaGeorge

ArvadaGeorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a group –6 RV’s with Dirt bikes & ATV’s Camping 25 miles south of San Felipe 12-23 thru 1-5 08
    Campo Nuevo Mazatlan
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

George Gangler
    arvadageorge@msn.com
    </PRE>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Arvada</st1:City> Cycle
    <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">10940 W 44th Ave</st1:Street>
    <st1:City w:st="on">Wheat Ridge</st1:City></st1:address> <st1:place w:st="on">Co.</st1:place> 80033
    303-422-3957<o:p></o:p>
    </PRE>
  20. OldKneeDragger

OldKneeDragger n00b

Oddometer:
    There is a group of us (4) riding sportbikes coming down from Colorado. We plan on entering at Agua Prieta (Douglas, AZ) on Dec 30 and catching the Ferry in Topolobampo that night going over to La Paz. From there we will dip south for a picture at the Tropic of Cancer then spend a couple of days heading north up the Baja. Once we reach Mexicalli, we are going to stay on the south side of the border and enter around Columbus, NM.

If you see some Colorado plates down there, you probably found us. :clap