When did 125's start to be considerd kids bikes ?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by JeffS77, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Touche
  2. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't tell Dick Burleson they are kids bikes....that is one of his favs in the KTM lineup. And he will smoke virtually any woods rider on one yet, even in his 70s. If you haven't ridden one of these bikes lately you will be surprised. It is not 1980 anymore!
    sparkingdogg and JeffS77 like this.
  3. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    There are now 4 of us in my riding group with 125's and possibly a 5th convert.

Last big day ride I was on was a mix of fire road, two track and single track going from the desert up to almost 5000 feet. The 500 and 450 exc's with us were never out of line of sight and I even passed a couple.

Sure my service intervals are short but there is really nothing to do. Adjust chain check spokes change plug and trans oil...i may pull the cylinder at about 80 hours and have a look see. Per husky's manual a piston is due at 40 hours but that is under full race use. Im sure if I was racing enduros in europe in the E3 class or here in the new GNCC X3 class I would but for your average rider im sure that number could easily be doubled.

I freaking love this bike and I love two strokes!!!!! Good night
    Foot dragger likes this.
  4. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Good ride on the 125 yesterday.
    [​IMG]

One of the hills got me on the way down.
    [​IMG]
    wilmar13 likes this.
  5. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's more fun to smoke guys on a tiddler.
  6. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Excuse the messy work space..but the 125 is now sporting the 4.1 gak tank :D bike is about to go over 40 hours. Will put a new piston and rings in soon.
    [​IMG]
  7. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Took her up to mammoth this summer and it ran great. pulled to the bald mountain look out at 9200 feet no problem....in full "adventure" trim gps on the bars, tank and tail bag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    2017 KTM XCW 150. There I said it,I think one a these could flat dominate on tight trails around here.
    Bucho, GR0NK and JeffS77 like this.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    1972 when the kid Tommy Brooks started kicking the old guy's asses winning multiple D-37 desert races overall (12 total) on his 125cc DKW.

Here he is on the Deek in Baja:

Tommy Baja.jpg
    JeffS77, JCool and dpforth like this.
  10. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Interesting thst this thread came up again because I decided my next bike should be a 125 but I'm still deciding what I want.

It will be used for tighter single track on rocky hills and the odd enduro in very hilly rain forest type areas.

For what I'm looking at spending I can get a Jap MX bike from around 98 to 2003 models, 03 to 06 KTM SX, and a few Husky WR125s from 05 to 98.

Because I'm looking at 10 year old bikes it also depends on what's available but the odd TM 125 does pop up.

I'm actually leaning toward the KTM just because I have some spares and also have an 06 525 so I can share wheels etc.
    JeffS77 likes this.
  11. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    nobody put this in here, so...... :super

Bucho, GR0NK, woodsrider-boyd and 3 others like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I rode 125s back in the 70's as a young racer and have always been a big fan of 125cc bikes and their riders like Tommy Brooks, Marty Smith & many others. I always thought that the 125s was the best learning ground for upcoming racers. All that being said, a 125cc for upcoming racers is great, but as a play/woods bike I don't think a 125 is a good idea. A 125 running wide open on a race track is one thing, a 125 in the technical terrain is a whole different kettle of fish. While the smaller bike will turn easier and quicker, the narrow power band can be a lot of work requiring a more aggressive riding technique than a large bore.

scan.JPG

Flying my 125cc Yamaha AT-1 MX in the early 70's at the Viewfinder's GP, Willow Springs.
    GR0NK, dpforth, spo123 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    GD that looks like fun! Because it is. Lots of guys these days have never ridden a 2 stroke,much less a good 125 or 150.

I tried out a garden variety 2006 YZ125 on a tight private track a while ago. Man are they easy to ride and fun! Then the resident fast guy got on the same bike and did the fastest lap of the day,on his 1st lap ever on the bike. So skinny and flickable.
    JeffS77 likes this.
  14. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The same time people started to trade in their Harelys for GS1200 so they could ride "off road"
    dpforth likes this.
  15. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    StrongBad I agree 150/125's are not the best technical terrain bikes and they do have to be ridden aggressively because momentum is key when you have no torque. But the current offerings with wide ratio 6 speeds and heavier fly wheels etc are not the worst

The flip side of that is I feel this bike is making me a better rider. Even running fast flowing two track I notice how much better my corner entry and exit is. I keep 'er up in the revs and on the gas. It is work but fun work.

I have always believed " it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    There are times I swear im running 50+mph only to look down and see 25 :lol3

When I get back on a big bore I hope I can keep my current riding style and actually be fast.....saving my pennies for a 300 :D
    Foot dragger likes this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    IMG_8347.JPG
    300's are addicting for sure,Ive had more then a few.
    This 2014 is the only bike Ive had that needs no suspension work,I havent even touched a clicker. Cushiest bike ever. I like it lots but would love to have a 150 alongside it just for grins.
    I tried a 17 300 the other day for a half hour on tight trail,was happy to get back on my 2014. KTM firmed the 2017's up some which is just what wasnt needed for tight trail.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I think it was Eric Hallgrath,rode a YZ125 in big desert races and won a bunch of them,he was some kind of wizard on 125. Some years ago.
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Eric Hallgath won a total of 5 starting back in 1996. Remember that at the same time he was racing against guys like Paul Krause, Ty Davis, Destry Abott, and the guy who has won the most Dan Smith (59 over all wins!).
    JeffS77 and Foot dragger like this.
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I want to go back to a 125 to try and improve my riding.

I've been on big bore 4 strokes the last few years and been lazy and I noticed I'm really slow on the corners these days, so I'm hoping a 125 might get me out of the habit.
    JeffS77 likes this.
  20. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    The 200s were just bigger bore 125s. They shared the same frame. For those of us that are not as small as Shane it might be a better choice. I know it was for me.

[​IMG]

Sean :D
    sparkingdogg and JeffS77 like this.