When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Colorado Ron, Aug 21, 2012.

1. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    ...and some of us happen to ride to work, very carefully, sober, fully geared up, and hit an oil slick out of the blue. It happens.
  2. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Going wide in a corner is always the rider's fault.
    What I don't get is the major reason for going wide: not having the guts to lean in deeper. Just a matter of training, just basic skills to achieve. Mandatory for self responsible people grown up enough for road riding, IMO.
    So accidents like the desribed one don't distract me.
    TrashCan and northoceanbeach like this.
  3. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it did appear to be the riders fault. I'm not sure he even applied the brakes before hitting the truck.I've been having a hard time figuring out why. I found the riders fb page from the name in the paper. He and his buddy both appeared to have been riding for some time and had the appearance of being skilled. They were finishing the Wentworth Springs loop, and had passed through much more technical road sections than the curve he had trouble with. And their speed seemed reasonable. My theories were target fixation on the truck, momentary lapse of focus, maybe looking at a dash mounted gizmo, maybe compounded by fatigue from riding in full gear on a hot day (it was 95 in Placerville). Rider was 61 so reaction time could also factor in.

In any case I found it disturbing because he was geared up to the same degree as I usually am, was traveling at normal speeds and on roads I regularly ride. It was a vivid display of the type of thing that could happen to me at any time on any ride. Of course there are auto fatalities written up weekly where the people were in the latest airbag equipped vehicles, so I guess I shouldn't psych myself out too much.
  4. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a regulation that banned motorcycles from the NJ Garden Parkway and the NJ Atlantic City Expressway.
    It was a regulation and a ban that the government thought would be good for health and well-being.
    There was an incentive - a traffic ticket.

Believe it or not , I was in Atlantic City, NJ a couple of months ago, and that sign that banned motorcycles from the Atlantic City Expressway is there - I believe the sign said "NO BICYCLES AND MOTORCYCLES".
  5. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that make's it OK that it was for "good health" and "well-being"? Some weenie made that up?

Here's surprising news: motorcyclists pay the same amount of road/highway fuel tax as other motorists. Motorcycles CAN NOT be legally banned from any taxpayer funded roadway. Communities with a roadway near or thru a golf course, for example, have been sued by the AMA and lost.

There is or should be an additional sign stating "under 200cc".
  6. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    When do you call it quits?

Maybe today...
  7. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. The sign says : PROHIBITED - PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLES, MOTORCYCLES, 150 CC OR LESS.
    When I saw the sign from 100 feet away, I could not see the "150 CC OR LESS" words.
  8. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Interesting response How are things going?
  9. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    people tell me it may be time to give up riding as I've had both hips replaced and have rheumatoid arthritis my response is I'll quit riding when i quit breathing and that's all i have to say about that.
    mikezx10 and joso like this.
  10. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    An amazing string of assholes really applying themselves lately has me questioning the sanity of riding on the street.
    mikezx10 and Nesquik like this.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    It says no horses, bicycles or motorcycles under 150cc.
    The limit is 65 mph.

12. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ron, I'm not sure if you're still reading this, but I was in a similar situation 18 months ago.

I've been riding 10 years. My dad has been on a bike since the age of 15 and is now 55, and has me on the back since I was 3. When I turned 18, i got my car license, and 3 months later for my M1 and bought my first bike, XR250L. I've loved riding since and still do!

In March of last year, I went on a ride with my girlfriend to the coast, on one of my favorite roads in CA, La Honda. About 10 miles before reaching our destination, we see a cars stopped (which is unusual for this road) and then we see a motorcycle on fire with a person lying about 30 feet further up. We both hop off the bike, my gf being an EMT attends to the guy, I go and try to put out the fire. Long story short, the guy did not make it, paramedics came, and after making sure they got all the info from my gf, we got back on the bike and continued. I checked if she was ok, and she said yes. Our ride home was a little slower, but still enjoyable on both our parts. The weekend after, we went on another weekend ride, talking La Honda again, and everything was good. Two weekends after the accident we saw, we were back on La Honda (I told you it was my favorite road) and just before a turn she tells me "Be careful babe". She's never told me that, even after the accident... As we go around the corner, a car was stopped in the middle, and the only thing I could have done was tried to slam on the brakes as hard possible. FYI, i was going 10mph under the speed limit, but there was no sign of a drive way or a mirror, as there is for this turn in the opposite direction. I rear ended the car at low a enough speed that neither my gf nor I flew into the car. I stiffened up to create a wall for her, she hit me then rolled over my right side. She suffered a minor concussion and soft tissue damage. I had two broken wrists. After all was done and we were recovering, a friend asked both of us, together, if we were still going to ride. I looked at her to let her answer and she said "Accidents happen. He rides carefully and I trust him.” I had my doubts about riding again. But I couldn’t see myself NOT riding… I got back on the bike, and couldn’t be happier. I wouldn’t say I am speed demon or take huge, unnecessary risks. I ride with all the gear, all the time. I now am WAY more cautious of turns and do ride more defensively and have to sometimes consciously tell myself to not do that, it’s not necessary. If you think you can have that discipline, then you won’t need to stop riding. Just be overly careful and know that people need you around. Go slower, ride a little less, always wear gear, be really careful, and you’ll be able to ride all your life.
  13. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...I dunno, I haven't read all 27 pages of this thread, but to me it's all about the odds.
    The more you ride and the longer you ride the bigger the chances are you'll get dinged, bumped, nerfed, fall-down-go-boom.
    (Kinda the same with speeding tickets with me.)
    At 65 I'm counting the years that remain...
    At 30 I was fast, had a 6th sense about things.
    At 40 I had more fear but also had more knowledge.
    50?...I just wished I could be retired or independently wealthy so I could ride full time.
    Nowadays I'm just hoping I make retirement before my bones fall out of my skin and my brain turns to total mush...
    I'm hoping now that all those chances I took in my yout' won't be too much of a load in the odds bucket, cuz I wanna keep riding.
  14. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrong, the odds of a crash are exactly the same the next time you ride as they were the last.
  15. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.

Retiring in 5 weeks and excited. Don't ride as much as I use to and think part of the reason is recently losing some friends to accidents on highway and a few friends in permanent pain/diabilities to offroad riding incedents.
    Each ride now has a purpose with focus on not riding stupid.
    Expanding my hobbies and interest a bit to include other things.
    Rapid Dog likes this.
  16. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    No one is guaranteed a tomorrow...minimize and enjoy!
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I don't think riding has to be super risky, it depends on what, when and where you ride.
    I have not done high risk street riding for a long time.
    The dirt riding I do is some risk of injury, likely not death...
  18. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading this thread for some time, now, I believe the when-do-you-call-it-quits question is as variable as which motor oil or after-market seat you use. It's an individual decision based on one's suspicions, experiences and confidence. I retired about 18 months ago and had every intention of riding to Alaska last summer. I had the bike, a '14 GSA, skills acquired over 51 years of riding, the finances, the desire and a wife who said, "Have a great time. You're earned this!" Well, turned out I spent too much time camping out with the boys in Southeast Asia and got a dose of "Agent Orange flu." I finished up the treatments in February of this year and, later that month, I rode from NC to California to meet my geriatric friends for a long weekend of reliving our recollections of days gone by. Also, I wanted to see if I had the stamina. I did. The Alaska trip was on, again. I called my prospective wing man and he was on 'go,' too, so, on June 11th, I met him in Nashville, TN and we were off for a 52 day adventure. I celebrated my 69th year in Banff.

Guys, only you can make the decision and, take it from an old fart, you ain't gettin' any younger. Push yourself or not but, whatever you do, make darn sure you're comfortable with the decision.

Mike
    ultrasheen and Rapid Dog like this.
  19. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...yeah, stamina, it takes some effort.
    In the next year, once the bike is sorted, my goal is to get back some physicality and focus.
    One thing I know for sure, I'm not gonna be one of those statistics that croak within a year of retiring.
    I have projects.
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    And don't think you have to have some big bad ass bike to have fun.
    As you get older, you should care less and less what other people think, small bikes can be easy and fun.
    zoomcarve and mikegc like this.