When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Colorado Ron, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bromax

bromax Bromax Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first bike was in 1969 and i 've had many since. Im not fast anymore but i am smooth. Every spring i lay my bike down on the lawn and pick it up, so far. My rule is when i can't pick it up i quit. Some days i don't ride because i don't have the feel. some of my friends in their 70's and Ben at 84 only ride when it's good.
    There my two bits worth.
  2. DRfURYOS

DRfURYOS Moto Vlogger

Oddometer:
    If you got hurt at work would you never work again?
    tallnbig68 likes this.
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a horrible analogy. Most of us have to work, none of us has to ride. I'm still trying to win the lotto so I don't have to work but so far that hasn't worked out too well for me
    Skinny Jones likes this.
  4. Manbyk

Manbyk Manbyk

Oddometer:
    Landing on a pile of feathers, the big guy upstairs certainly had your back. I'll freely admit there have been times where it just didn't feel right to ride which "daveinva" called his "spider sense." It was rare when I simply packed it in for the day but it did cause me to take "deep breaths" and to size up whether the ride would be a test of will vice the usual freedom it provides. I never take for granted the love & concern my wife & teenager have for me and fortunately they know I "NEED" to ride to keep my sanity. Six kids, Wow, agree with SilkMoneyLove's suggestion, go heavy on the life insurance.
  5. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost 50, paid my bike tax last night coming home too fast. I hate being passed so I regularly exceed the limit. Most of the time it doesn't feel like a risk. Too bad the police don't see it that way! Heated vest, bars, anti lock brakes, and good reliable bike works wonders. It doesn't have to be a race. Dress right for conditions, wear armour. Can't see a time where I'd quit yet, it doesn't compute. I own a truck but driving it anywhere just seems silly, a waste of potential energy unless the bed is full of stuff. I'll keep riding until they make it illegal, then maybe I will ride more!
    Pedersoli and jjxtrider like this.
  6. ItsNotTooLate

ItsNotTooLate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread for people who don't want to start riding. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger and deciding I'm going to start, I read this thread. Looked at a 650GS this morning and will spend some time this afternoon reading through this thread again. I wonder if it will work this time? I'm starting to get the now or never feeling since I'm 50 and it will be much harder to start at 60. I live in an extremely congested area (Long Island) and one thing I've taken away from this thread is that commuting to work may not be the best way to spend time on a bike given the elevated risk.
  7. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I ride one of my bikes everyday to work , one big reason I have them . As was said in previous post I have a truck but what a waste to drive it , I feel like I can't see anything or know whats going on inside a can . I don't live in one of the rat races though so it's easier to choose.
    twinrider likes this.
  8. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my CBR600RR a couple of years ago. I found it was only really fun to ride if you were riding it hard, and doing that on the road was giving me too many near misses with thoughtless drivers and surprising road conditions. I was seriously considering not riding any more, but decided to try some Enduro (on track) to see if that was something I enjoyed. It was :)

Since I started riding my 500EXC around everywhere I haven't had a single episode that could have resulted in anything more than a sprained wrist. I ride smooth on the road, and off road I am mostly sight seeing with the odd powerslide out of a corner. If I fall off it is at walking pace attempting some obstacle or hill climb beyond my skill level :)

I am now looking at replacing the 500EXC with an adventure bike in the hopes that it will be the best of both worlds. Having tested a whole bunch of options I find that even with the additional power I don't end up riding too fast. The bikes are just so comfy and grunty that smooth progress and riding the torque out of corners is more fun than doing massive speeds and hauling on the brakes on the way in. The dirt riding and slow in fast out mentality has followed me into road riding which I believe has made me considerably safer than I was on the 600RR :)

So long story short - if you are considering quitting, have a look at how you ride, and maybe try something different. I now get my kicks from finding trails that challenge my skills on the dirt bike, and generally exploring the large amounts of wilderness we have here in Norway. Hopefully I can hold on to that if I get a KTM 1290 SAR for the 2017 season!
    NicorAdv, mikegc and Skinny Jones like this.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Then why get the 160hp 1290, the AT is way more dirt capable and still rocks on tarmac thanks to its nimble handling and a motor that puts down plenty of torque right where it's needed in the low end and midrange. Sounds like you don't need 160 hp given your riding style on the 500.
  10. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I turned 55, I thought it was cool now that I was able to get my Senior Citizen discount at Kentucky Fried Chicken and mentioned this to my Brother who was 62 at the time.
    In a nano second he said it is all downhill to 60 and man was he correct, and it only goes faster from there.
  11. indycar

indycar Calmer than you are

Oddometer:
    I wanted to say that I ALWAYS listen to the little voices or feelings I might have that something is 'off' and head back or take the cage. Then I remembered.

This Fall I was off for a 4 day ride on the mountains and deep back roads of NC. Maybe because I was rushing to get all my gear together and was more unorganized than usual ( I was up pretty much all night before my 4am departure) but I felt a little uneasy about the trip and it gave me pause. I still went, but wrote a note to my wife and left it where she'd eventually find it if I never returned.

Had a great time with excellent riding. By the time I'd gotten home, I'd forgotten all about the note I left. I just ran across it the other day in the garage - 3 months later. Looking back, it may have had more to do with the 0-dark-thirty departure that I had planned through back country roads (in deer country). I remember feeling uneasy when I set off that morning and I changed plans on the fly and took the superslab till 9am, then cut across and resumed my back road route through the remaining 4 states.

So although I didn't bail on the trip due to my unease, I did adjust the part of the trip that I think caused my 'spidy-sense'. I don't remember being concerned for the remaining 1400 miles. Seems the older I get, the more I remember the times I didn't follow my intuition and regretted it. I'd like to feel like I always follow it now, but I'm not sure I can claim that in an absolute sense. But that's the goal (for me).
    Effisland likes this.
  12. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a saying in sport, "if you're thinking of retiring; you're retired". Been there many years ago in my very ordinary sporting career. I'm 65yo, still love riding, can't imaging stopping, but I think I'll know when it's time, it'll be when I begin to think about whether I should be still riding.
  13. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 73 and still riding both street and off road, hopefully I still have a few years in saddle.
    Bob
    Pedersoli, Mainecoons and ewxlt like this.
  14. ewxlt

ewxlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old.

It's a toss up...riding the bike I get home to them much quicker...but at more risk...then again, most of the 20 mile trip is me splitting at 25 with traffic chugging along at 15.

I have had "feeling"...and so most of time I ride like a grandma...or like Jason Bourne who is intensely acute of his surroundings...I love it though.
  15. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    For those of you that deem street riding as too dangerous, consider a trials bike. You will be amazed as to how much damn fun you can have.
    BucketHead likes this.
  16. Mainecoons

Mainecoons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    73 this year and still riding though I've slowed down considerable and have gotten totally paranoid about any and all other vehicles and pavement condition, the latter tending to be pretty crappy here in Jalisco, Mexico. I actually traded my roadster for the 2015 GSW because of the crappy pavement.

No more too long days where I get too tired and hence less skilled and no more riding at night. At this point, those along with the above are the adjustments.

I find that rigorous weight training is really extending my riding life and am looking forward to longer rides here in Mexico. Hoping to ride for at least 4-5 more years and ride much of Mexico. Despite the bad press which is more exaggerated than not, this is a wonderful country for riding.
    combustor777 and Pedersoli like this.
  17. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy down the road lost his medical for flying. 79 years old. He still flies his plane and is glad he lost the medical. Now he doesn't bother with insurance or a C of A for the plane. It is all relative.
  18. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did quit riding. Most of my riding over 30 yrs was commuting. And, yes, I LIKED commuting on the bike. Yes, even in traffic. Almost made me look forward to going to work. Took some longer trips later in life, after the kids left home. Wife won't ride and I won't ride with a passenger.

Why quit? First, I retired so no need to commute. Should mean more time to ride, right? Well, yes and no. Problem is I like sharing stuff (like trips) with my wife. So, when I was on a trip I'd think how great it would be if she was there with me to see it. So the trips got to be less and less interesting. I liked the long distance part of it so kept on riding. 12, 14, 18 hour days were kinda fun. But, to really do long distance it takes a bit of commitment to stay in shape, like a long trip at least once a month. Not something my schedule will allow (yes, retired life can be busy :) ).

The last straw was actually doing the long distance rides. While I liked the riding part the other parts irritated me to no end. Stopping a couple of times a day and shedding or adding clothing was a PITA (no one suit has ever done if for me when going from below freezing to over 100F in one day, and yes, I have had vented suits with heated liners). Taking the helmet off and back on again for the 10th time in a day just makes my ears hurt. Yes, I have big ears and no amount of helmet 'stretching' makes it comfortable. That's also why I stopped taking the bike on errands, just too much trouble to take off gloves and helmet every time I stopped. Gearing up for a 10min ride was just another PITA.

In the end I found that I enjoy driving a cage on a trip just as much as I like riding a bike. So, sold it off. FWIW, the danger part of it had no bearing on the decision.

If you are interested in riding, try it. You may get hooked, you may not.

Be safe out there. I'll be looking for you at every turn and lane change.

charlie
    Firenailer, mikegc and Effisland like this.
  19. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    This was the year I gave up riding. I had some great adventures on two wheels, and made some good friends. I haven't been riding for as long as many of you - just the last 12 years.

There wasn't an incident (or accident) that spooked me...I just sort of lost interest. Other things in life took a larger role, and my riding time just got crowded out by other things - and after a while I realized that I wasn't missing it. We made a move to another state a few months ago, and rather than move all my stuff, I sold it.
  20. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    I called it quits 13 months ago when I dropped a wee on my leg. 6 screws, metal rail, couple of buttons, and a bit of wire tying it all back together, and several months learning to walk again just made it all seem stupid. I loved riding, but commuting made weekend rides less special, and the fun-to-danger ratio of riding the Bay Bridge twice a day just seemed dumb.

So I got a Miata. Anyone who has one will tell you they're almost as good as motorcycles.

Yeah... and coffee is almost as good as cocaine.

But it gets the job done, it's entertaining enough, and a hell of a lot healthier.

I still miss riding like mad. I told myself I'll take a year off, and then see where I'm at. Well, I'm a year out now, and yeah... I wanna bike again. So I talked it over with my fiancee, and we agreed that a) a bike is in the future; b) it'll be after the wedding; c) it'll be something light that's less likely to break a leg when I drop it (I dropped two bikes on my leg a week apart- one was a dirt bike that left a bruise, one was the wee that put me in the hospital); and d) it'll be something she can hop on the back.

So here I am... at the same time someone who quit riding, and someone who's gearing up to get a bike. It'll probably be in a year or so, next December or January, and it'll likely be a DRZ400SM or something like that. In the meantime, I'm going to finish rehabbing my ankle, get back in shape (wrecking your leg makes you a hell of a lot more sedentary!), research bikes, put away some money, and iron out some minor wrinkles to make that Miata a 100% reliable and comfortable daily driver.
    anorphirith likes this.