When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Colorado Ron, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my late 70s I think my riding days are over simply because I've stopped enjoying it. It took a while to admit to myself I was no longer disappointed if a planned ride had to be cancelled. There hasn't been any particular event or some sudden flash of insight rather the realisation has crept up on me.

I'm selling my CB500XA, which is too heavy for me anyway, but keeping my riding kit. I've been following various threads on smaller street bikes and scooters as a lighter bike will be essential if I decide to return to riding. You never know.
  2. Lo Echsar

Lo Echsar Baruch haShem Adonai

Oddometer:
    A lighter bike may be just the ticket for you. There are many out there and nothing better than finding the right ride. All the best.
    dp064 likes this.
  3. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work got in the way yesterday, as did my kid. Furiously trying to finish up now so I can get out at least for a half hour confidence builder this afternoon. (Although when I say "furiously trying to finish up" I'm actually on here, so probably tells you where my head is at.)
    dp064 likes this.
  4. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, fuck it. Went for a ride. Basically around the block though, because I quickly realized my front wheel's been knocked out of alignment. So bit of work to do this weekend. But...

DAMN THAT FELT GOOD!!!!!!
    mikegc and dp064 like this.
  5. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you can get experience 30 miles at a time or 3000 . a mile is a mile
    Lep and dp064 like this.
  6. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't ride with the person you described above
    Lep, Rakthi and Bar None like this.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Sadly, he died in Nov. 2018 of pancreatic cancer. I miss him. We had some great times in the late 60s.
  8. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    The answer to when is it time to quit? For me is simple....
    When it’s no longer fun!
    scottdc, Hokem Malarky and dp064 like this.
  9. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could not agree more! When I worry that my upcoming ride may be my last then the risks clearly outweigh the pleasure. I started riding again after 30 years but I eased into it with a 250.. not a litre bike..
    The Dude likes this.
  10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Life is too short to waste it on things you don’t enjoy.

A nice convertible car is a dandy travel vehicle.
    wee-twin, rixcafe, Bar None and 2 others like this.
  11. Rags

Rags Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it finally happened to me after 62 years of riding, I had an "at fault incident". I was on my 4 month old BMW R1250GS in a line of traffic on a city street approaching an intersection, everyone running about 35 mph. The car in front of me stepped on the brakes, I braked and slowed to see which way it was going to turn...kept waiting but no turn signal. Suddenly the driver braked hard almost to a stop. I hammered the rear bumper and flew through the air. (Turns out the lady is from out of town, looking for an address, doesn't have a drivers license and the car isn't registered or insured. It was a classic "Oh darn, I wanted to turn there" situation.) I ended up with a broken wrist, damaged shoulder and elbow, a couple of small scrapes, major hematoma from the waist down to the bottom of my butt, jammed my left thighbone into my hip socket (very painful, couldn't walk, not recommended). The bike had $10k in damages (almost totaled). Now just slightly more than 11 weeks later the bike is repaired, I'm feeling better, and I have been riding for about 3 weeks. I would have been hurt worse if I hadn't been wearing good boots, riding jacket, gloves and jeans. I'm 80 years old and hope to continue to ride for sometime to come. The ironic part of this to me is that I answered the question about when it's time to quit just a couple of months (?) before the crash.
  12. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it wasn’t worse and you’ve healed to ride again! Thanks for sharing your story - it’s a great reminder that it can happen to any one of us.

On a new bike too! Double ouch!
    Rags likes this.
  13. 71Crummy

71Crummy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just rode shy of 900 rode miles on the DR, first time I have went that far on it. I was actually surprised at how comfortable it was. Lots of rain and high winds but no close calls. Felt good to be on the bike since not having an opportunity this past summer. Well hang in there Ubermick hopefully you'll get this thing fixed and back out on the road.
  14. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's time to quit when you can no longer trust yourself.
    ghost, scfrank, Rags and 1 other person like this.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    As I enter my seventh decade, I find that I still enjoy riding but am riding much less than just a few years ago. I have also slowed down considerably because my level of concentration just isn't what it used to be. My reaction times are still good as well as my eye sight, but I'm no longer as capable mentally. Don't want to quit just yet.
    Rags likes this.
  16. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here... I have to renew my license with a MC endorsement when I hit 72 in 2022. That will probably be it for my 2 wheel adventures and will stick to sidecars after that. In the meantime I want to get as much use out of my DRZ 462 adventurer tourer as I possibly can.
    Rags likes this.
  17. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    i think id have punched her.HARD.i got backed into on my pristine 97 triumph trophy at a citgo station 10 years ago.the twat got out and said o well thats what insurance is for.he was driving his brothers car.stupidity knows no bounds.thats why you have to drive for every MORON on the road when u r on 2 wheels.
  18. Rags

Rags Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easyrider88, After I woke up, I tried several times to get up but absolutely could not move. After laying face down for several minutes I was finally able to move my right fingers which excited the bystanders because it was the first indicator to them I was still alive. The paramedics from the fire dept. and the ambulance loaded me onto the gurney.
  19. TC1166

TC1166 I may grow old, but I'm never growing up!

Oddometer:
    I feel for you. It's a tough decision. One that we will all have to make sooner or later. If you have children that are depending on you then your decision may be easier. I'm 55 and I'm not looking forward to the day that I can't or won't ride anymore but i know it's coming.
  20. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm closer to 70 than 65 and the thought of not riding ... doesn't bother me. I just got a new bike, I ride and enjoy the ride when I do go out, but only put 15,000 miles on this year vs 30+ most years. This summer didn't go as planned, and I'm not sure I really feel like riding to see my son (East Coast - Fairbanks AK) any more. Mostly this is connected to how over the winter I became unable to get comfortable on the bike for more than 2-3 hours even though last year back-to-back-to-back nonstop 400 mile days were no problem. Now after 200 miles it's really bothersome, 300 it's painful, and 400 it's excruciating. Nowhere I really feel like riding to see, I've checked off most of my bucket list and haven't added more.

I talked to a guy the other day, he has an R75 just gathering dust, hasn't ridden for decades. That guy could be me in a couple of years. We'll see.
    strommonster and Bar None like this.