When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Colorado Ron, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Granparacer

Granparacer Old but not dead

Oddometer:
    As I have gotten older, my tolerance for risk has changed. I now ride well below the edge of my abilities "most of the time". I have to admit to getting carried away now and then, feeling like a kid. Those moments are worth the price of admission. If I feel a little spooked, I back it down a lot and have learned to listen to that voice, there's usually a reason for it. I hope to never call it quits, but if the time comes that I feel like I'm a risk to others or if it's not the same good feeling it's been for the past 48 years, I'll hang up the helmets.
  2. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but riding a motorcycle is not a prescription for death. People die every day, all kinds of ways.
  3. Forty Years Ago

Forty Years Ago I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer:
    Six weeks ago I had an accident after coming out of the Malibu Mtns. after a great ride. Total amnesia from before accident until waking up in the hospital a day and a half later. Results: Triumph Scrambler destroyed, frame broken. Left ring finger smashed to bits. Now wired up may be amputated later. Cracked vertebrae in neck and lower back. Broken right hip. Now wheel chair bound with neck and torso braces. I will recover but it's hard at 69 years old.

The toughest part is not knowing what caused the accident. I suspect I was run off the road by a hit and run driver. Perhaps it's time to quit.
  4. Fibzzz

Fibzzz Resident Cynic

Oddometer:
    Nobody here is saying it is. There are additional risks that come with being on two wheels, and when someone decides those risks outweigh the rewards, they stop riding. The rest of us accept the risks, or at the very least ignore them.
  5. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine, but there seems to be a streak of fatalism that is kind of silly.
  6. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

How old are you? Not being an ass, just curious. Age changes many, me included.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I will not quit until I cant sit a bike.
    54 now, riding since 14, and I never got hurt on the street.
    Plenty hurt in the dirt (the cause of most of my issues) and I have given that up, at least till I find a fun light little bike to dirt ride.
    I never hear voices, or feel like I should not ride.
    Since I have been street riding since 17 and never had a close call (even in my young wild days), I do not consider it risky, at least the way I ride.
    There is always some risk, but I also fell down some stairs and have broken bones, which is more then I ever got on the street.

When my son was young, it was time to do stuff with him, and all that new house stuff, so I did not ride much, but always had a bike I could get out on once and a while.
    The house and job and wife still limit my riding time, and I am down to about 10,000 miles a year of joy riding and it sucks to not be able to do long trips, but that is the way it is...

If you do not have good health insurance, its kind of crazy to ride much, or dirt ride at all.
    More so with wife, kids, house...
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't "hear voices" either.....just have a "feeling" today is "not right"....I listen to those feelings. 57yo ....been riding since I was 14 as well. Sometimes I "know" today is not right. Silly? Maybe.... I agree there is ALWAYS some risk. Life is risky...work in an ER...we're all gonna check out. Just agree with the OP that circumstances change. Kids/life DO have to take over sometimes... The OP is worried about his kids/family. Kudos to him. Now is not always the time. Later maybe. We all have to live our lives at that time. Riding is important..but not above your responsibilities. I have "none" per se....but do listen to that siren that says "no".... BTW, my ONLY injury in the last 20 years WAS going down steps.....
  9. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are lots of great observations in this thread. I have had this question go through my mind before. I did stop riding for a while when I was uninsured for a few months. During the time I was road racing I remember reading in the paper of a couple killed in their bed by lightning. It made me think I'm safer racing than sleeping....

I'm fully committed to riding now. I do admit to being hyperaware. And I still make decisions that I question afterwards. :eek1
  10. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    42. A youngin in this crowd, I guess. :rofl
  11. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    Must be, younger than me by 13 years but you aint no pup. A lot of people re-think the risk they are willing to take when they have children, doesnt matter what the risk is, could be drinking and partying, scootering or sky diving.

In my own personal experience, at 55 I'm not the rider I was at 25, or even 45. Reflexes arent as good, got aches and pains that start now after a few hours in the saddle that I never had even 10 years ago at 45. That shit can be distracting, plus self employeed, if I'm out of work for 3 months I'm likely bankrupt. It's all things to think about.

I dont second guess people wanting to quit, they know more about theirself than I do, if they feel the need to get away from it, why would I second guess them?

Have a friend who was wanting to get out of it but was wishy washy on it, stayed on a little longer, and t boned a volvo. Two kids in high school and a stay at home wife, he has the mental capicity of an 8 yr old now and needs baby sitting. Truthfully, he never needed to be on a bike to start with, but it caught up with him. He was a dumbass on a bike, his fault entirely but I still wouldnt wish it on anybody.
  12. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been riding for 4.5 years now. About 46,000 miles give or take. I do admit that starting later in life probably has made me appreciate and work harder at keeping body and soul together.
  13. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Bravo - great post. Thanks for writing.

14. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

I've been going on some form of motorized two wheels since 1966, it doesnt hold the wonder it did in the 70's and 80's. I've run the gamut from getting my kicks in the dirt, to speed and power (and 75 horsepower was pretty stout in the late 70's) to cruisers loaded with chrome for a run to the local burger joint and an occasional weekender to touring for a couple weeks at a time, lasting 5,000 miles and 5 or 6 states on a Goldwing. I stopped this weekend for a burger, probably 20 bikes out front, I couldnt tell you what a single one of them was. I rarely look at them anymore, seen one GS or milkcrated KLR or ape hangered E Glide, youve seen them all. I ride now but theres not some fire that I feel, if I sold the bike today I would miss it on those cool rainy weekend mornings that I like to ride, I wouldnt miss it at all on those 100ยบ days. Riding is just one part of my life, I wouldnt feel the need to go jump off a building if I couldnt ride, because I went thru about 8 yrs with some vertigo issues and couldnt ride, it wasnt the end of the world.

But dont kid yourself, it's a hobby that can turn around and bite you on the ass if you or somebody else fuck up. Not trying a scare tactic, but in 45 years of riding I have lost probably 6 friends to accidents, for the most part self inflicted. The friend above, he came out of the accident, he didnt know anyone, not his kids, not his wife, not his parents, none of his old buds. He started out from scratch when he came out of the coma.

You can read thru some of the lest we forget in inmates, sobering thoughts
  15. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:

Thanks for the update. Guess none of us figured that out.
  16. dukedinner

dukedinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I am 53, been riding since 1983, and have a KLR for offroad camping and a Concours for longer road trips. Ride maybe 10000 miles (16000 kms) a year or so. Just came back from a BC to Ontario ride on the road bike. Two close calls..both on Trans Canada Highway 16. One a near head-on when a car pulled out to pass (on a double line) a semi and the pickup in front of me had to basically hit the ditch to avoid it..I was next in line and managed to get over far enough while the a-hole split the difference between us all. Very close. The other was a semi that drifted way over the center-line on a corner into my lane. I saw it coming in time and got way over to the right..but very close again. So two close calls in 17 days of riding about 400-500 miles per day, not including the regular close passers, guys driving too close etc, plus three deer that stayed on the side of the road. We travel mostly secondary roads most of the time to avoid traffic but sometimes have no choice but to use the main highways in some areas.

I wear all the gear,all time..bright jacket, helmet, have extra driving lights and extra reflecters on my bikes etc. I stay away from packs of cars/trucks as much as I can and wave vehicles by when they start to stack up.. Still, my closest calls have come out of the blue and I admit it is getting worrisome to me. Have I had enough? No, not yet, but I think about it more these days than I used to. It is a hobby with serious fuck-up potential. They say so is walking across the street. Maybe time for a bit of a break till I figure it out...
  17. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sure, give up everything exciting " in case something happens"

that just means youll die doing something boring. when its your time its your time.

id rather die earlier after living a life filled with doing the stuff i love, why would i want to live longer if i dont get to spend that time riding bikes???
    pratered likes this.
  18. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    If you really feel that way, if your life is truly about nothing more than motorcycles, if you have no other reason to live or get up every morning than a motorcycle then I hope you never go thru a medical issue that takes you off the bike.

So when is earlier, 16, 25, 35? Or is it an arbitrary number that moves farther out each year of your life?

It's not the dying part that bothers me so much. it's the ones where there is a head attached to a body that cant move and your whole family becomes a slave to babysitting you.
  19. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reaper can come anytime and anywhere.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topst...s-into-home-killing-sleeping-17-year-old-girl
  20. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer: