When do you call it quits?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Colorado Ron, Aug 21, 2012.

1. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Oh, why? Do you mean you get old and then you are sure you will die riding a bike? If so, what age is the cutoff when this kicks in?
  2. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

Nah, you get old and you are sure you are gonna die. You suddenly realize you are not an immortal. :lol3 Once you get a couple of kids and decide you want to hang around and see them grow up. Has less to do with a motorcycle than a life style. I knew a lot of folks who thought 80 mph wheelies were fun, once they have a couple of little ones they may still think it's fun but their prioritys change to making sure their kids have a better life than they did.

If you dont fall into that category dont sweat it, but dont be so quick to judge those who do. Read around, lot of folks got out of it for awhile but once they got kids out of the way they re-entered the sport. Nothing at all wrong with that, what I think is really stupid is when someone gets a feeling they want to leave it behind and someone tries to convince them they should continue. Nobody knows what they should or shouldnt do but them,
  3. slide

Oddometer:
    I'm not judging; I'm inquiring. You seem to be conflating age with responsibilities, though. I can not only see, but sympathize that once you have dependents, you can't be irresponsible with your life or health because you assumed that responsibility voluntarily.

All things have trade offs. There is a great deal of joy in family, but also you can't be both a family man and the bar hopping wheeling doing man of freedom. You recognize that your death doesn't affect you nearly as much as it now affects your loved ones. You becoming disabled is even worse because now you move from being an asset to your loved ones and become a liability - some pathetic basket case leaching them out of the wealth they'd need to live a decent life.

No, I think I get it, but it's not age. It's family.
  4. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the family isnt too early though. :lol3 I've known 16 year old Dads who didnt recognize it, but I've known some 30 year olds with the same problem.
  5. HunSolo

HunSolo Mad Monk Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ron, I love everything about this story except the trashed bike. Your wife and daughter apparently getting a preview is really thrilling. Would you mind elaborating on the 'pile of feathers?' You must have given that a thought or two. What do you think happened there?

Glad you're OK. Trust your instincts.
  6. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:
    Fwiw & the grammar police... It's spelled "Endo'd" which is short for "end over end." thank you Kaptain Kosmo from BMXaction cir. 1983.

Thank you. Feel free to Indoed all you want. I've said my peace.

:freaky
  7. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i of course have other things in my life but bikes are a major part of it and something i share with most of my friends.

earlier is just anytime, i dont know/care really. when my time comes it comes. i just want to have spent my time before that doing stuff i love! if i quit bikes then when my time comes itll just be something else.

and yeah ive been in a very serious bike accident so aware of the risks.

sure you could give up bikes. but anything could happen at anytime. you could be in a accident at work or travelling to work in a car. you could get a disease, be assaulted by robbers who beat you up and leave you disabled, the list goes on forever.

it just seems so morbid and negative to give up something you love in case something happens.

imagine if you did give up biking now, and in ten years something else happens that leaves you in a bad way and unable to bike/do anything. id be thinking, "fuck. i wish i spent my last 10 years doing the things i love because now i cant".

you could keep biking til your 80 and never have another incident. you could quit biking tomorrow and take up something safe like lawn bowling and get hit by a bus on the way to the bowling club.
  8. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a week of vacation coming up. But something tells me no long bike trip, stay local. Pisses me off, but hey, what if....
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my friends that I haven't seen in a couple years texted me yesterday "I had a dream last night that you were in a horrible motorcycle accident and died. I saw your funeral. Please be careful and think about this when you're riding."

I thanked her for the concern and promptly told her I will most definitely not be thinking of that dream while I ride. I will however, continue to be careful.

I can't ride right now anyway, I have a broken arm. To be honest, this didn't spook me. It just made me think of this thread. She better not have jinxed me though, or I am haunting the crap out of her.:rofl
  10. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer:
    I recently knocked up the wife and have had this stuff (quitting riding) on my mind. You know, the whole it's "more than me" concept that a previous poster had mentioned.

Sooo...I headed out of town (on the GS Adv) with a Gold Wing buddy for a Berkshires ride. For what I figured would be a final outing. Rode 400 miles in 24 hours.

Totally calm riding, no drama, no traffic. Had the time of my life. And now I can't imagine quitting. :D

-Eff
  11. Phineas Whipsnake

Phineas Whipsnake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're the father of 6 kids. That's a huge responsibility, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I gave up bikes while my kids grew up. Now that they're on their own, I rejoined the brotherhood with a new enthusiasm and no more guilt over what might have happened had my hobby deprived my kids of their dad/breadwinner.
  12. slide

Oddometer:
    Brotherhood? Are you SAMCRO?
  13. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tho opposite considerations! I am about to turn 71, I have a new bike and am planning some tours throughout Central America. Yes, it would be a tradegy for my wife if something bad happens, but I feel I will regret what I don´t do more than I will regret having more ´´living´´ in my remaining years.
    pratered likes this.
  14. Drilldogger

Drilldogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get bad feelings some days, and I take it real easy. When I got my truck license the instructor and I were talking bikes. He told me he gave up street bikes b/c of cagers. He supplemented his need to ride with dirt bikes and said he wouldn't go back to the street.
    I rode street bikes for 10 years before buying a dual sport, my dual sport has been traded for a barely street legal enduro. Even though I still use the roads a little I feel a little better riding in the dirt most of the time. Sure I can still get hurt, but at least I feel it's in my control. I have two little ones under the age of 10 and I can't wait to ride with them.
    Down the road I have every intention of getting another street bike, but probably not until my boys are men.
    If you don't feel good - then don't ride.
  15. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode when I met my wife, apart from a couple of years gap when we moved countries I rode pretty much every day. My kids would probably call a doctor to have me comitted if I suddently gave up riding.

I'm a much nicer person when I have a bike :norton

Your call, but in terms of having a good relationship with the rest of your familly being a deeply unhappy person is probably a greater risk than accident.

Pete
  16. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'( Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only get the "voice in my head" when I'm on the street. damn cars scare the living piss out of me! I couldn't imagine being on the highway on some scoot or a 250cc or smaller bike.
  17. Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I crash June of last year and thought id take a break for a while. Thought about buying another bike in the spring and Bought a miata and got hit by a drunk driver. Getting hit by a drunk driver really bothered me. Debating whether to get another bike now. Philly has awful drivers.
  18. slide

Oddometer:
    I doubt one can enjoy the riding if filled with doubts about the wisdom of it all.

Pointless to push it. After all, the idea of riding is to enjoy the trip. If you would be anxious about it all, then you are exposing yourself to more danger than in a cage but not getting the benefit of enjoyment.
  19. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Old Git.

Oddometer:
    I drive Trucks for a living so I see a lot more of what happens on the road than most,
    It makes me a better rider, knowing how other vehicles are likely to behave in a given situation.
    I have the luxury also of living in France, a very bike friendly country.

However as Da Foole so succinctly put it, when it doesn't feel right I don't ride.
    Sometimes I don't ride for a week or more simply because either I don't feel like it or I just don't feel "sharp".
    Other weeks, you can hardley separate me from the saddle no matter the weather

I know Madame G would love for me to give up the bikes, but equally she knows that it's part of what makes me, me. & I'd probably just go & do something else equally daft instead so she won't ask, bless her.

I've had a couple of accidents & walked away unscathed ATGATT works! The French have a saying that roughly translates to "Accidents put lead in your head" meaning that it slows you down.

You're the only one who can say when "it's time" & I have the utmost respect for those who don't let others opinions dictate their lives.

Do what you feel is right, but don't regret it.
  20. Danuda

Danuda New guy

Oddometer:
    I now have a 1 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. The week after the first one was born I took my bike out. It was a beautiful spring day. I went out on roads that had low traffic counts and were as about as safe as any road could be. I hated every minute of it. All I could do was picture my new child, no father, growing up on her own. It just sapped the fun out of it for me. We have huge problems with deer strikes in my area so it isn't just cars to worry about. I went out riding one more time and I was tense the whole time. When I got home my shoulders hurt, my neck hurt, everything felt knotted up. I knew it was time to sell the bike. It has been a year and a half since I sold it. I really miss it at times, especially in the fall. I plan on getting another bike, just sometime around when I feel more confident about my girls turning out fine without their dad around anymore. The risk became not worth it to me. My wife and I are slowly planning a huge motorcycle trip together for when we make the plunge again though. We have always wanted to ride Alaska and possibly even due some touring in Africa. I don't see it as giving up bikes forever, just a little break. I put my girls in front of riding, right where I feel they belong. I understand people who continue to take the additional risk though. As many have said, there is risk with everything.