When do you have too many Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by icrashed, Feb 19, 2006.

1. icrashed

icrashed El Hombre con el GS

Oddometer:
    I have five: An 03 GS Adventure, an 02 RT, a 97 KTM 300 EXC, and two less-than-perfect CBR 600s that I'd like to combine and turn into one track bike. Me thinks it's time to sell the RT so I'll have some money to pay off the GS ADV ,put some mods on it, take care of the other bikes, and maybe do some work on my house. It may seem obvious to the rest of you that something needs to go but I've been in denial for the last few months.

Any idea on what I can realistically expect to get for an 02 RT with about 12K miles, corbin seat, and aftermarket windscreen?
  2. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    You never have too many unless you have one you never ride.
  3. airansun

airansun Ride Wet!

Oddometer:
    Nice definition. Mine has been:

If you can't keep them all running, you have too many.
  4. kines

kines Adventureless

Oddometer:
    I don't have too many motorcycles, but I have too many bicycles, and maybe the reason I know can be extrapolated to motorcycles as well.

I needed some plumbing work in the basement. The plummer opened the basement door, said "whoa!", froze silently (I'm sure he's accustomed to seeing quite a few different things in homes), and after a moment said sarcastically, "so you like bikes, huh?"

But the reason given given by naked rider doesn't apply to my bikes, because I ride every one of them! (Roadies: road racing, triathlon racing, long haul, bad weather, commuter, cyclocross, vintage, etc. MTB: hard tail ice bike, hard tail racing, full suspension racing etc. etc. etc.....) Wait, I'm on the wrong forum, aren't I?

I travel everywhere by bike or motorbike, and I'm frequently asked by neighbors and coworkers: "what to you have against 4-wheeled vehicles?" :lol3
    250senuf likes this.
  5. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    I too have a CBR600 F3, track only, that has not been on a track in two years. :cry
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:

:nod

People with MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) say: "How many bikes is enough? One more than I have in the garage".

As for your situation, once I got on my GS, it didn't want to go back to the RT. Sell asap, the longer you keep it, the less it's worth.. plus it has low miles, so it's a good buy for someone.
  7. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I know I have too many bikes when I find myself not riding a bike that I want to ride so that I can ride a bike that I don't want to ride because I feel bad that it is sitting. Another sign that it is time to downsize is when it seems like every month I am getting a registration renewal and insurance premiums for bikes I am not even riding. At times in my life I have had as many as 9 bikes in the garage. When I got my R1200GS I liked it so much that I ended up selling all my other street bikes and dual sports. Now all I have is CRF250x and my GS. I think have room in the garage for another sport bike. I'm thinking a R1200S HP3 is in my future.:D
  8. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't think you can ever have too many. It is a sickness.

They are always more valuable to me than they are to someone else.

When there is no longer any floor space to effectivley do repairs, then I might consider selling one.
    molochnik, CCitis and mr_10brook like this.
  9. CFAmD7G

CFAmD7G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How true, I own motorcycles that have more sentimental value than street value. As long as I have room in the garage and Stabil in that tank, I’ll always have too many motorcycles.
  10. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    After many years of multiple bike disorder I've finally gotten it down to three bikes. My GS, which is a daily rider. A CRF250X for hare scrambles racing. And an R90S for restoration. I did the same thing with guitars. Down to three which get played regularly. I couldn't justify having a garage full of stuff just for the kudos of saying "I own _______." The money I don't spend on bikes, insurance, taxes, and parts have bought me a nice drive on bike lift, a tyre changer, and a bubble balancer. Amazing how many friends I've got now with that equipment. :lol3
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    ummm....does the problem start when you live in winter climates...and buy bikes to leave at friend;s places in warmer climates so you can fly out and ride in the winter....:ear :lol3
    Norsman likes this.
  12. icrashed

Oddometer:
    The RT is a comfortable touring bike. The GS can do anything the RT can do and more. I'm planning a long trip (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, maybe into Canada) this summer with lots of 500+ mile days. With a custom seat and a taller windscreen I think I'll have just as much comfort, maybe more (I'm 6'5" tall).
    xrttman likes this.
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well, that's a long trip and given that your RT has low miles for a 2002, take the RT, rack up the miles and then sell it. Whether you sell it with 12K miles or 24K miles, for a 2002, it won't make that much of a difference. Plus, I found the RT to be too hot on the summer. The fairing works too well, not enough wind on me. It's a superb bike, but the GS is even more fun.
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    This relates back to the perfect stable discussions.

For me, I would have trouble doing the stuff I like to do without at least five or so: The full-on sportbike (e.g, R6), the big road-burner sport-tourer (e.g., FJR), the big adventure bike (e.g., GS), the small adventure bike (e.g., KTM 640), and a trail bike (e.g., DRZ).

While could could argue there is some overlap here, there really isn't that much - a GS, for example, can't do big miles in all weather nearly as comfortably as a FJR and can't tackle the boondocks nearly as well as a 640. Likewise, I could take a GS or an FJR to a track day, but it's not even close to something like the R6.

And there are other missions I wouldn't mind having a custom tool for. Maybe a Griso for cruising or a MX bike for the occasional day at the MX track. More bikes.

And to these I always have three or four collectables, projects, or bikes with "history", so I always seem to have a few more than this. It's a sickness.

- Mark
  15. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my GS500, "track only" and it's just sitting. I have soooo many great plans for it--track day bike for VIR, little hooligan commuter during the week (gawd, these little GS500's are a hoot..slow but fun). Meanwhile, it's a gravity meter in the shed. :bluduh

Then there's the '86 CB700SC. I love that bike. Haven't been on it in 5 years. :cry Can't seem to talk myself into getting rid of it, even though it would enable me to buy a beater dirt bike. :cry
  16. icrashed

Oddometer:
    I just went out to the garage to check on the miles:
    02 RT--15.5 K still pretty low
    03 GS Adv--12.5 K also low
    I should get more interested parties in the early spring. By July everyone has their bike and there are less people interested in buying. In principle, you have a good idea but I gotta move that thing and free myself up. I could possibly sell the GS Adventure after the trip and then get either a new GS or a KTM 950 adventure.
  17. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    When you have absolutely no space left to store them and you are seriously thinking about moving the wife out for more room, you have too many. Maybe?:evil
  18. slowGEEZR

slowGEEZR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man, join NESBA and come join me. I'm already signed up for twelve track days so far. I have an '03 R6 that is track only. If you sign up for 12 days or more with NESBA, you get a 15% discount. - Steve
  19. DUX

DUX GS: The Anti-Chrome

Oddometer:
    Want to donate it to a good home? :D

I need a 600 track-bike to round out the Honda collection. :wink:
  20. r1150gsa_rider

r1150gsa_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may have too many motorcycles when...
    • The new car sits outside​
    • Wife uses "the motorcycles" as an excuse to remodel the kitchen and I can't mount a decent defense​
    • UPS guy asks if I make extra money storing bikes for people​
    • Wife uses "the motorcycles" as an excuse to own more shoes than a deposed Phillapene dictator and again I got nothin'​
    • I always need to buy a battery for something​
    • I spend way too much time looking at steel buildings at the home show​
    • Wife uses "the motorcycles" as the excuse to pay for airline tickes to fly inlaws in for a visit, once again.....​
    • Neighborhood kids look up to you (not a bad one!)​
    • Pizza guy recognizes you at the store because of the Ducati in the garage (again not bad!)​
    • Getting inspections done takes up 2 weekends in April​
    • You feel like everything is under control because the herd has been thinned into single digits (and I even drove by a rusting minibike frame on town trash day)​
    Bikes are the best, all brands all styles!!!!!!

A Ural with a side car??? Hmmmmmmmmm ​
    1oldsickle likes this.