When do you replace your knobby???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Wodger63, Jul 28, 2020.

1. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    I only said I was the tight arse and I only have so many rides left in my life and I want to enjoy them

But that’s just me
  2. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    @bigredroosta Those retreads did wear pretty well. But then like you say, XR250's wear out clutch perchs before chains and tyres.
    The knobby knife was DSMRA equipment so not sure where it ended up.

^^^^^^^^
    Retreads we are babbling about were Recross from a bloke in Nowra. Last time I spoke to him (5 years ago??) he was having trouble getting carcasses.
    We used to get a 4 pack of rears for about $55 each tyre delivered.
    The intermediates were the pick and were often on a decent carcass like a 606, so bit of an effort to fit but gripped ok, wore really well and resisted flats.
    Fronts were a bit ordinary. Average grip but main problem was they were really heavy and affected steering.
  3. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    He used too put the rears on mitchy carcasses for me an I used to buy 3 packs. A while back I found 2in my container that would have been 10 years old and i ran them both on the wr. A mate still has some and has one on his bike now
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    “.I alway laugh at those mega threads where knobs will spend money on annodised oil filter covers and nav towers but have shit tyres.”

This is what i was responding to Daz.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Awe look i just dont care. A ha/f worn 140 looks tufff!
  6. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Are the car tyres for when you ride to Perth and ride up a down the street past coffee shops ?:lol3
    buckscreek and BergDonk like this.
  7. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Replacing knobbies also comes with the, "Fuck this tyre cost $350, I'm going to get full use out of it", or " Pffft $85 for a rear, gets a bit worn, just chuck it", mentality as well.

I've been running D606's [ rears ] since forever, one tyre that covers most bases well enough for me, with the odd exception here and there. Front tyres I burn through, lots of different brands, I find moderate wear on the front tyre seems to have the biggest effect on how a bike "feels" confidence wise. Trying "fatty fronts" now....
    Sundowner likes this.
  8. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Aren’t you just supposed to buy a new bike once the tyres gone
    gsjam, BergDonk and Dr AT like this.
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Countless times have seen people spending shitloads on suspension / steering dampers, and riding on worn out dog turd tyres

Dirt tyres don't cost that much

But completely change the ride characteristics of the bike

If you've got a nice bike and enjoy the idea of performance, why would you ride around on crap tyres ... ?

Doesn't make any sense to me
    Wodger63 and DR650Pete like this.
  11. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    I do that with cars. Never bought a new set of car tyres yet.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    yoosed to be chains and sprockets Bygduffa!
    BygDaddee likes this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Nah you got it all wrong Sam. They arent “crap” tyres. They are ‘worn’ tyres generating more fun!

Really, if people are happy with worn tyres, whats the issue? There are many people who can ride the ring out of many others on worn tyres so this then does make plenty of sense.
    Sundowner likes this.
  14. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    For a big adventure bike a good front is always important. The back isn't that critical, as long as it's protecting the rim. For a light weight trail bike, both ends are important, but I'd still happily run both low before I stressed about needing to change them. I still remember Jock Adams pointing to his near bald rear KLR tyre and asking if it was good enough to get home to QLD. I honestly thought it was rooted but bugger me, he got home on it via Birdsville way. It would have been smoother than a baby's bum by then because there wasn't a match head of tread when he left Hawker. Just shows what you can do when you have to.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  15. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Where is this , I wanna dump my old tyres there .
    BergDonk likes this.
  16. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    If I was closer I'd be raiding it. There's a lot of goodness piled up there.
    I had an eight foot high pile in my shed until I sold both race XR's recently. I said to the bloke who bought it he could grab a couple. He took half the pile just about. Which was good in some ways. I just raided it for a new front for the Tiger 800. Ended up with a Pirelli Scorpion MX 80/100x21 - ex rally race tyre I think, courtesy of team mate and fellow ADVrider Sequent. It's hard as a rock, a little used, looks like it should only be used on a 450 on the dirt and isn't what you'd call an adventure tyre by any means. But it's black, round and rubbery. And surprisingly marked DOT with a Load Rating of B (195kg). So for a trip around the Gammon Ranges this weekend, it'll do. I like a really aggressive front tyre as I tend to push the front fairly hard.
    You can ride with any tyre once you get the feel for what they're good at and what they're almost dangerous at. It's certainly a case that a really bare tyre can make riding more interesting but unless it's thrown knobs off or split the sidewall, I'll use it until I reckon a Traffic Copper would frown at me.
  17. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    One thing really worth noting with any Adventure ride is that finding tyres in the size you need for the rear is almost impossible in a country town, as the local bike shops only cater to the local MX kids (110/80x19 or similar) and AG bikes. Phone ahead so they can freight something in if you really have to change tyres, otherwise don't get stressed. Carry a spare if you reckon you'll be on the road long enough.

A good thing to arrange here would be a list of Advriders that have a tyre pile they'd be happy to see others benefit from, to make longer rides a lot easier if you stake a tyre or shred knobs. Every racer has a mountain of rubber they've tried for various terrain or handling experiments. A bottle of rum would be fair currency. Two bottles, if you can't fit it yourself.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've misunderstood Al

What I'm saying doesn't make sese to me is spending heaps of money on the other components directed at ride characteristics

... and then riding round on shit tyres ...

And you'll see I've said 'doesn't make sense' - which doesn't mean that I care - because I don't - just an observation ... :-)
  19. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wise words - but some people always misunderstand ...
    Pete's spare (3).JPG
    Sundowner likes this.
  20. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    When do I replace my knobby?

Rather a personal question, but usually after marrying Lorena Bobbitt's sister. :lol3