when does the d2d 2018 thread start?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by brennaman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the Dempster a couple of years ago. In my experience (driving rain, extreme cross winds, nasty gravel and the ferries having invariably just left), it’s a 12 hour ride with a meal, fuel and a long break at Eagle Plains. I rode up one day, rode back the next. My plan for Tuk next year is to leave Minneapolis June 9, swap tires in White Horse June 15, Dawson June 17, Inuvik June 18, Tuk June 19 then back to Dawson for D2D on June 20, drink beer and have stupid motorcycle arguments for two days and go home, probably through Vancouver...
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really want to do Cambell and Canol.. also swing by Hyder (since you said gotta try halibut on the bus and visit Salmon glacier).

I am thinking Casair - Hyder - Watson Lake - Carmacks via Cambell - Dawson - Tuk - Dawson - D2D then ToW - Tok - Haynes - Johnson Crossing - Ross River - Dachenla Lodge - Ross River - Watson Lake - Watson Creek.. then 40 to Icefields and East (at least for me). . Or perhaps cut out Tok loop if time doesn't allow. Is this something that could work for you?

I will probably need to bring rear to have it mounted in Washington or Vancouver.. that way no need to grind knobs on the way to Weest coast.

(disclaimer: still not committed not sure what work situation would be).
  3. Crusty

Crusty Cranky old fart

Oddometer:
    I am going to do my Damnedest to be in Tuk before the D2D next June. Here's an article I found on the road:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insigh...y-connects-canada-from-sea-to-sea-to-sea.html

My favorite quote:
    "And Ken Lindholm, manager of the End of the Road Inn in Tuk, said that “when you hit the ocean here, there’s a marker that says ‘End of the Trans-Canada Highway.’ ”

For some Canadians, posing for a photo in front of it might just be on their bucket list, he figures."
    Newstrom48 and cyclopathic like this.
  4. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m on for lunch!
  5. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In years past I’ve ordered tires in advance from Whitehorse Honda and had them mount them when i get there and the same on the return. On my GSA I burned off most of a rear knobby riding from Whitehorse to Dawson to Inuvik and back to Whitehorse. Not cheap but it saves you having to carry tires...
  6. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Mitas E07 Dakars waiting for the trip, confident they will make round trip. The rear one I have taken off just now had close to 25k, could have made a few hundred more. Front still going, will probably make to 30k mark. Of cause total mileage and dirt useful mileage are totally different thing, that's why it would be better to shoe in new rubber close to destination. Maybe I buy online and have it shipped there. How much did they charge to mount and balance, do you remember?

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
    sebanks likes this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the road to Tuk and the BMW MOA rally in Des Moines weekend of July 12-15. With only 3 weeks on my plate I don't think I can squeeze in the D2D. I'd love to as I haven't been to Dawson since I spent a summer fighting forest fires there in '95. maybe if I ship my bike somewhere further north than Des Moines to start?
  9. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly, they were about $50 Canadian each for installation. I also bought my tires from them and I don’t know how that factored into the install price...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered riding/flying/riding? Check tent space maybe someone would hold on to your bike for a few weeks. If not try to find storage unit around airport. Have a friend who is doing it annually for winter Mexico trips.

Not sure what would be a good destination, I have only looked at Vegas due to cheap tickets from East Coast. Would not be a good starting point for the trip north. Salt Lake City is a big hub, so is Denver good luck.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Shipping my bike to Edmonton would save a bunch of time.
  12. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks? Fun ride from there to Dawson, Top of the Working Highway through Chicken...
    Tewster2 likes this.
  13. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top of the World Highway
    sebanks likes this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    About 4500 Km's from Kamloops to Dawson via Top of the World, 950 or so from there to Tuk. Way shorter going the short route but probably a wee less interesting. Fighting with the mapping website I'm using amd haven't started the Tuk to Des Maine leg yet. 600-900 km days are kinda the norm for me.

edit: 3500 from Kamloops to Tuk via the short route.
  15. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are driving me crazy and a little scared. It's 185 miles from Tok to Dawson City over "The Top of the World" highway! It is kilometres, the unit of distance measurement used by all of the rest of the world except merica and dumb ass England. Km for short. It is approximately 5/8 of a mile. 2,811 km Kamloops BC to Dawson City and you would not go via Top of the World, you would go to Tok from Dawson via the Top of the World.
    Maybe you guys should just go to Disney Land, easier to find and filled with lots of the same people!
    The Maz likes this.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    And... Disney Land is adding a "The Dick" character to the Magic Kingdom line-up. So now you can get the full Dawson City experience, see Mickey Mouse, chat with Cinderella and do it alll from the comfort of your Prius.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hey, I was talking in km's, my math might have been off but at least it was metric.:lol3
  18. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Tom. Top of the World Highway it is. Foiled by autocorrect once again!
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I disagree but for whatever reason I feel somehow insulted.

The biggest laugh we got going to Dawson we're 70, 100, etc mile post towns.. shouldn't they have been renamed in favor of metric system? 112.63km sounds so much better! Even Mickey would get behind it.
  20. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to understand "The Dick" has a sense of humor that is truly Canadian....that's why he's called "The Dick"....he's a good guy (except on Tuesdays) :lol3