when does the d2d 2018 thread start?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by brennaman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost said "I love The Dick" but since it could be taken wrong way I will hold on to it :hide.. seriously we met him this June during D2D he is my kind of guy.

We just came from Key West, almost hit deer a couple times, almost got killed by Audi truck in the dark by Nashville.. riding 12hr in 42-53F at 75mph (120kmh in +5-11C for non Mickey lovers) is cold.. It is gonna be a long winter up north for sure.
    Hi-De-Ho and Tewster2 like this.
  2. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you really want to befriend The Dick.....Bring French wine.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  3. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my new scooter for the June, 2018 Minneapolis - Dawson - Tuktoyatuk and return ride, 2018 GSA with bags and the fancy dashboard (haven’t even ridden the damn thing yet, it’s got 6 miles on the clock!). Got my hotel reservations in Dawson, June 15 at the Downtown Hotel, June 19 - 22 at the Triple J (assuming the Triple J website works...). Now I just need to suffer through another 4 months of Minnesota winter so that I can suffer through a few thousand miles of YT and NWT cold, rain and mud. Can’t wait!
    Hi-De-Ho and cyclopathic like this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sebanks, are you going to the BMW MOA Rally? Just down the road in Des Moines July 12.
  5. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m going to High Plains Raceway in Colorado that weekend for some track time on my “other” BMW. Des Moines is on the way so I’ll probably stop for a few hours before heading west. You going to be there?
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My plan is to head there from Tuk, Mine will probably be the only KTM 640A at that BMW event:lol3
    Tewster2 likes this.
  7. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you going to be at D2D?
  8. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    YT and NWT cold, rain and mud! I hope you fry in 24hr daylight and choke on dust, what a thing to say! Walking into the Arctic Ocean with bare feet will be an experience of a life time!
    Soak it in and breath deeply and look across to the horizon, it is awe inspiring!
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the road is already opened.. anyone had made it there yet? Walter on Ural perhaps?

Also any idea how loose new section between Inuvik and Tuk would be?

Yeah, cold and rain makes for great misery; we had 5 days of downpour it rained nonstop from Tok to Calgary. It is better to be ready and not have it than have it and be not ready for sure. Bring rain suit over waterproof gear, surgical gloves and dust mask, if lady luck on your side.

If it is anything on the scale of what we had last year end of June I will skip Dempster..

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
    sebanks likes this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I don’t have time to do the D2D and the MOA and still make it home. Once I leave Des Moines it’s still over 4500 km’s to my house.

Cyclo-you missed the best part of Canada...just sayin’:lol3
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe later this summer my son wanted to do NE and perhaps Trans Lab and Atlantic provinces.. I don't think I can talk him into doing Trans Taiga at least on the bike he is on

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do D2D...that way you wont suffer from a heat stroke :lol3
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I did the Trans Lab in “08 and have been foiled getting back up there a few times since. The Trans Taiga is on my list but it certainly won’t be this year. Check out my thread in the vendors section if you’re heading this way.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I talked to a friend in Montreal last fall and he said it was mostly paved now.. Trans Taiga is interesting but dead end and from what I am hearing situation with fuel more difficult than on Dempster..

As is planning for D2D/Dempster/Cambell, if anything after that it would be extra.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You definitely need to carry extra fuel on the TT, the end is the farthest you can get by road from any community in North America. There is a fuel stop about halfway. I forget the numbers but it’s a long way from nowhere.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I was quoted something like 315mi (or was it 345mi?), and that some indian territory station is only open a few hours.. can't remember.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Regular daytime hours and closed for lunch, no idea if it’s owned by First Nations folks or not and there are outfitters camps in there on the lakes. I compiled a fair bit of info about it but it’s all on my computer. PM me later if you want more info.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. sebanks

sebanks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode The Dempster, cold, rain and mud. This time I’m hoping to ride it in a t-shirt and when i get to Tuk, go skinny dipping in the ocean (or not, nobody wants to look at my wrinkley sixty-two year old ass...)! And on your say so, Dick, I might even leave the Aerostich at home, because it’s going to be eighty degrees and dusty. As for awe inspiring, yeah, that’s what im expecting. I’ll see you in June, a nice California red tucked in a pannier.
    cyclopathic and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    My, in 10 days, 70 year old tongue is quivering in anticipation! A professional photographer buddy and I are planning on doing a photo tour up to Tok for first light in Feb, will post some photos if it happens. No skinny dipping at that time!
  20. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    The Dick, is that a TW200 you are sitting on in your avatar?