1. eNewsletter Sign Up

when does the d2d 2018 thread start?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by brennaman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the sarong guard covering the rear wheel :thumb
  2. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, NOT planning for unexpected weather or road conditions is folly....especially on the new road up to Tuk. To blithely declare that you will take one day ride up to Inuvik, and one day ride back to Dawson is a very BESt case scenario, the stars are aligned and all that sh*it.

The road can be very challenging due to changing surface and weather and you need all your attention focussed on the ride, that can be mentally and physically exhausting.

The new road is , I believe, 132 k, that may well be the toughest 132 k in your life. 264 k.

You should add at least a extra day if you are heading up to Tuk, the worst case scenario is you get back to Dawson early.

Has anyone contacted the their rescue provider to ask if there is a extra surcharge or anything for pickup north of Inuvik? Don’t know if there would be, but why not check and ask first?
    cyclopathic and Tewster2 like this.
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless it’s 30 C and you are walking around with your pants rolled up to your knees cause it’s so hot....and you have to buy a pair of sandals....unless it’s like this year instead and you are waking up in your tent with it just at or slightly below the freezing mark and the campground has no warm place to go....:vardy
    Tewster2 likes this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a bad thought to check your insurance. Anyone talked to the folks behind the SPOT tracker yet? Maybe I'll send that email...

edit: we'll see what GEOS comes back with but I'd be very surprised if that service did not extend there as it is tied to whatever the closest SAR/EMS services are.
  5. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sage advice schniz, and so soon begins, another year of follie. Don't have to worry, it is going to be -40C tonight and tomorrow, think I'll go up to Tok, the road should be hard packed!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I use Medjet Assist for medical repat during my journeys. Never had to use it but it's good to have if I splatter and need to get back to a hospital near my home in the lower 48. About $225 a year.

I also have LifeMed Alaska for SAR in Alaska...only $49/year. Covers onsight rescue and flights to nearest hospital in Alaska. If you splatter on the Dalton a helo to pick you up and fly back to the hospital in Fairbanks will cost you about $25,000 (cash) if you don't have LifeMed.

I also have a Garmin inReach (base model) that sends out my location to friends on my email list and Spotwalla page every time I punch the button...don't use auto-trtacking...don't want to pay the extra cost. Basic plan is only $12 a month with unlimited pre-set messages that include your location...nice.

AAA for towing in the lower 48 and Alaska for my bike.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I forget the name offhand but there's an insurance company that I've used out of Toronto to cover the higher risk stuff like rally schools in the desert and the Rally Mongolia. When I compressed my spine near Pahrump in 2011 I knew it was going to be an airlift to get me out if I couldn't ride out. I didn't end up making that call but it was nice to know I was covered if I'd had to. I can try to dig up that info if anyone wants it?

Anyone here read Noah's RTW thread? He was talking about one of these insurance companies that left a guy stranded, I want to say it was MedJet but I could be wrong. I'd only have to reread 100 pages to find that post I'm sure. He was talking about it late in that RR so maybe not so hard to find.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yes Medjet has very specific rules
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Well, that was a quick reply from GEOS and they sent me this bit of info:

Hello Mr. Buhler,

Our GEOS SAR membership in an International membership covering everywhere all over the world, but anytime you activate the SOS on your device you must be outside of city limits in a remote or rural area without cellphone reception. Canada in not part of the exclusions, but there are a few excluded territories listed in the SAR Terms and Conditions that are not covered. Please review (page 6) http://geostravelsafety.com/assets/pdf/GEOS-SAR-BENEFIT-TERMS-AND-CONDITIONS.pdf

Thank you for reaching out to our GEOS Customer Support office, and please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
    Hi-De-Ho and cyclopathic like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info guys, I will look it through. Maybe I should change my attitude, relying on myself only. After a relatively harmless spill many years ago (cracked rib and bike patched with duct tape, then unrelated brim of grass stuck in eyelid) I learned to ride defensively; find my limits and then notch it down to 40-60% comfort zone.

That aside, seems everyone assumes that new section between Inuvik and Tuk will be extremely bad. How bad you expect it to be relatively to the rest? The gravel was put there last summer (earliest May latest early September). It stood exposed, some hazmat traffic, then opened about the same time as ice road would. Do you think it wouldn't get enough traffic compact? they would have repairs/fresh gravel dump going in June? I am more worried about silt and wet calcium chloride. Or it will be 4-6" deep loose gravel all the way?
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 2-4” of fresh pea gravel between the ferries in 2013. It was an unusual year in that it was dry and sunny all the way to Inuvik and back.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The friend of mine who had been to Dempster first time in '76? told me that government pays 1st nations to haul gravel to Dempster, and they do it when they need money; so any section could be like that. It is 90mi from Inuvik to Tuk, so round trip is doable even if it will turn out to be 20mph drag. 3 days seems to be tight, perhaps 4 days? or 5 to be safe? Camp at Nitainlaii? With options to do it before or after D2D to avoid weather?
  13. The Dick

Oddometer:
    "the government pays the first nations to haul gravel and they do it when they need money" is an absurd and somewhat offensive statement! The road after McPherson is on the MacKenzie River delta and is constantly sinking and so while it is not frozen, there is a constant layer of new gravel being applied and it is done by the highways department of the NWT. The only gravel available is that god awful roller bearing pea gravel. Staying in a compacted track from big rigs is wise and wondering out of them is life threatening!
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it is like the last section of Dalton where they use pea gravel from Atigun river.. at least it isn't awful shale further south, sharp and so easy to flat on. No arrowhead shaped rocks waiting for unsuspecting riders.

How early they start applying gravel up there? About the same time as Alcan or later? If it turns like this (fresh pea gravel) I suppose leaving camp gear at Nitainlaii and doing round trip to Tuk light is a better option.. there's no friggin way I'd wanna deal with it tired.

How are all these camping sites, do they have water or you have to carry it?
  15. The Dick

Oddometer:
    The new road to Tuk is not on the delta and so the conditions will be totally different. When the ground IS NOT FROZEN! . There is no water at any campsite unless it is on a river or creek.
    cyclopathic and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Good tires
    Hi-De-Ho and cyclopathic like this.
  17. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well its January - let's get the signups rolling :)
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Soon, very soon.... maybe.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  19. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ is that 'definite maybe' :lol3
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  20. KHud