1. eNewsletter Sign Up

When is the End of the Season in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Tempo, May 21, 2008.

1. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    In general, what is considered the end of the riding season in terms of coming back to the Con US from Alaska? Early September? Late September? October?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I know there are nut jobs in this world who ride with studded tires and other stuff. I am not one of them. At present, I am just trying to figure out some rough logistics for a trip that might put me and a friend in Alaska sometime after August.

Thanks in advance.
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    After August it can snow anytime. I have seen snow in Tok when I lived there as soon as Labor day and stayed all winter. so its a carp shoot after August.
  3. Bretta on Shadow

Bretta on Shadow Bretta

Oddometer:
    I ride to work until I get snowed on.

The last two years I did a "Go 'til it Snows Tour" and rode until mid- October (Valdez 2006, Homer 2007). Keeping your hands and toes from freezing seems to be more the issue than snow on the road.

I now have cordura gear so I wasn't cold coming thru Canada two weeks ago... also staying in motel/hotel accomodations made it easier rather than trying to camp in cold.

4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Glad you said somthin or I was gonna have to. :evil See June issue of 'rider' mag: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337845

Yeah, as was mentioned, it's a total "crap shoot." When I was driving back up to AK in the first week of Oct. a few years ago, I saw 2 motorcyclists headed south near the AK/Canada border that were having to stay in auto tire tracks because the snow was getting so deep! :eek1

Good luck, Mark H.
  5. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    What part of Alaska?

I ride until November here in SE Alaska (Juneau specific).
  6. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    Okie dokie, guys, thanks for the advice. Sounds like it's a crap shoot after Labor Day. Plan B would be to ferry it. Plan C would be a kind ADV'er who could winter our bikes for us. :freaky

It would be Anchorage on south. That is, we'd be flying into Anchorage hoping to head on home. Regardless, this isn't until 2010. By then global warming might have wrecked its havoc... :bluduh
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be safe until at least the end of September. A couple of years ago when I came back north around the middle of September there was localized freezing rain at Watson Lake, but everywhere else was plenty warm, and pretty much dry. I've gone south at the end of September with beautiful fall weather all the way.

Sure, there can be freak weather patterns that dump snow as early as Labor Day, but it will generally melt off in a few days, and the roads are clear in 24 hours or so. I've seen riders heading south as late as the first week of November, but not sure if they made it past Tok, or out of the state. That's pushing it too late! :vardy
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    This is coming from a guy that rides in the winter on a goldwing :eek1 remenber that.