When it says that your reply is saving....

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by glasswave, Aug 25, 2018.

1. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it says that your reply is saving where does it save to? I just typed a long and thoughtful reply, but a short way in I had difficulty changing high light and bold. Next, I had to wait quite some time for the browser to copy and paste. In the end, I lost 90% of the post when I posted it, so I tried the back button, to no avail. Now the post is gone altogether. :baldy

Could the text of my post be stored in my firefox cache somewhere? Could it be on the server? :waysad

In the end, it is my fault, I should have used a text editor and pasted my post into advrider when it was finished.
    :doh
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Go back and see if there is anything in the reply box in that thread. Xenforo saves drafts after you have been typing for a bit. The only way that goes away is if you hit the little floppy disc icon, click it and click 'delete draft.'
  3. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen that. In the end, I retyped it. I'll try and be more diligent about using a separate text editor for longer posts in the future.
  4. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are certain scenarios where it will appear as though there is no saved content, like if you use a back-button. Open a new tab and re-navigate back to the thread. It'll load the saved content. The 'problem' occurs when the browser presents a cached version of the page instead of freshly fetching. If you don't see anything in the new tab either, then it's been lost.

Also, be aware that there can be new problems introduced by copying from an external editor. If you use formatting features that are encoded differently etc. This is how you see those weird artifacts appear in some people's longer posts which indicate they copied it from something like MSWord. The safest way would be to type it in a basic editor like notepad, although you can use MS Word if you configure it for specific encoding. I might be miss-remembering, but I believe UTF-8 or UTF-16 will work. You just don't want Windows-CP1252, which I believe is the default.