"When Piggies Fly" Part 3: An Autumn Coddiwomple

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rhode trip, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hiya, Skibum! I'm a big fan of Newfoundland and the folks there. I've pondered a ride on the T'railway for quite a while.
    Blind Warrior, I booked a hotel near the airport....Knocksedan...which is kind of in the boonies. I don't know how much time and effort it will take to collect the bikes, and it's theoretically in walking distance...about 5 to 6 km. The day after we arrive, I plan to skirt around Dublin to the west, then head south through the Wicklow mountains on the old military road, and end up in Carlow. I am leery of riding through the congestion of the city...it'll be our first experience riding on the wrong side of the road (:lol3) so I think we'll stick to the country lanes until we develop a little proficiency. From Carlow, we'll head southwest, with a second night at an Airbnb in Churchtown....no doubt a hotspot of debauchery. From there we'll head towards Dingle, but I don't really have specific destinations after that...except to tag the western most point in Europe, and then head north along the coast. Our only previous visit to Ireland was a walking holiday on the Kerry Way, so we won't bother to go there right now.
  2. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a plan But know that when you skirt Dublin on the M50, you will be skirting some of the World's finest pubs, and probably getting off the M50 a stone's throw from the house I was born in. If you find yourself in Galway, I would recommend taking the boat from Rossaveel out to Inishmore island. There is a fort out there that was first settled in around 1100 BC. Standing on the cliffs by the fort you can imagine that the ancient Irish must have considered that to be the end of the World.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  3. jgormley

jgormley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I was going to suggest the same thing...
    I spent nine months working in Galway and this was one of the best side trips I made...
    You can rent a bicycle or a horse drawn Jaunting Car to get back and forth from the fort...
    I also was going to say... that you feel as if you have taken a time machine back 100 years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dún_Aonghasa
    Rhode trip likes this.
  4. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out past Dingle town I once camped at a family-run campground just about a stone's throw from the Gallarus Oratory. Very nice folks. And it was really good to see the oratory early in the morning before the buses full of tourists started snaking up the narrow lane. It was sort of between the villages of Ballydavid and Ballyferriter if I recall correctly. And nearby the campground there's a ruin of a tall keep right in a farmer's backyard. Paid his son 50p for a guided tour. A bit further inland and up a bit was a ruined church....very ancient.......one of the gravestones was also a sundial, some had runic inscriptions, as I recall....but don't hold me to it....that was 25 years ago. Your approach to European riding is really interesting and I'm following avidly! Thanks for taking the time to post the journey here!
    Rhode trip likes this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rhode trip likes this.
  6. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    ...Well, unfortunately, I'm a total failure at keeping a contemporaneous report going... despite my best intentions. My only excuse...heck,...too much fun! Well, that and the other things.
    Blind Warrior, JGormley, and Blader54, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the tips, since I don't really have any foreknowledge of what to see or do. It's all new to me. Jerry, I did not know you've spent time in Ireland...I would have picked your brain before now.
    We rode the west end of the Dingle peninsula yesterday... passed the road for the Gallarus Oratory, but did not get out there. We had a full day getting up to the ferry at Tarbert. I would have liked to see it. I expect to hit Galway tomorrow. We've run into our first real rainy weather, and it's slowing us down. We are in Doolin tonight, mainly because I saw that it has a ferry to the Aran Islands like you guys suggested, but I have not looked into the details yet. I'm not sure if that is a good rainy day excursion or not. Speaking of which, we passed the Cliffs of Moher this afternoon....swarming with busses and cars, pissing down rain, and fog. Only slowed because there were so many people in the road...F** that, too crowded!

We picked up the Wild Atlantic Way in Dingle, and have been on and off the route... I have mixed feelings about it. I've enjoyed the unexpected delights we've encountered everyday so far on my own routes...it seems you don't get to see anything on the WAW unless you pay. My highlight for today was when we wandered off from the ferry landing in search of petrol... and stumbled on the graveyard in Kilmihil... really beautiful, in the rain...pictures one of these days....

Skibum69, that sounds cool. I've been to Newfoundland 3 times, but never made it to the east coast yet. I'd love to check it out!
  7. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Love those bikes, this looks like a great start to a great ride report.
    I'll be following along.
    Safe travels and happy journeys.
    :thumb
    Rhode trip likes this.
  8. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Remember Vermont? We left Rutland heading for Montreal... hit rush hour in Brandon...

[​IMG]

Had an unexpected encounter with the Vermonster... kind of like Sasquatch, except with a craving for beetles....

[​IMG]

Made good time, running north through the verdant countryside...

[​IMG]

Then north, through the Lake Champlain Islands...

[​IMG]

South Hero Island, Grand Isle, North Hero, Isle la Motte, and Alburgh stretch for 30 miles, joined by causeways and bridges, from Burlington to the Canadian border in New York...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The northern US border is a distinctly different style than the southern one...

[​IMG]

Heck, there isn't even a fence to keep those pesky Canadians at bay....

[​IMG]

and we slipped across and rolled up to Canadian Customs...

[​IMG]

Nice Quebecoise girl gave me a grilling...where are you going?, how long will you be here? I explained the whole bike shipping thing. She pronounced it all "Splendid" Oh by the way, "Have you any weapons?" Ha, ha...no and we were on our way.

[​IMG]

The Eastern Townships are the breadbasket of Quebec... wide farms on the flat, alluvial plains... and little crossroads towns...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through the Mohawk Indian Reservation... where you can buy a pack of smokes...(tax free!)

[​IMG]

Then over the St. Lawrence River...

[​IMG]

...and into the city of Montreal...

[​IMG]

...along the old canal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our hotel was near the airport... in Dorval, which I did not know was an English speaking neighborhood... but that made things easy with my limited French skills...
    Mrs Trip jumped right in... cleaning our gear with some rags brought for the purpose...

[​IMG]

...and the bikes too... I removed the fenders and the seats so we could get the nooks and crannies...

[​IMG]

but despite our best efforts... there were still spots we couldn't reach...

[​IMG]
  9. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff, thanks for taking us along.
    I would imagine you'd have a fairly long range with those larger fuel tanks.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  10. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't get over how your rear tires look like balloons, or like the tires in cartoons....
    Rhode trip likes this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm told they make great bog bikes.
    Rhode trip and Blind Warrior like this.
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The northern US border is a distinctly different style than the southern one...:lol3

Cities have pretty stuff too.
    [​IMG]
  13. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    You could still get your back wet crossing there.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  14. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!!!!

I'm retiring in 3 years and have long dreamed of leaving a bike in various places, with "someplace in Europe" first on the list.

Following along...have fun!
  15. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Passim. We have a roughly 150 mile range with the Clarke tanks. Passim is an interesting screen name. After the Cambridge club?

"Fat tire bikes, you make the rocking world go round" or something like that. Actually, the fat tire provides half of the rear suspension on those bikes...the other half is your knees. As far as I can tell, all the shock does is hold the swingarm in place.

Air them down, and you can get through anything. Maybe we can get the Admiral to post a picture of the ATV tire on his....

Montreal is a very attractive city, with the exception of the roads and bridges. I read a post once that said "I've never ridden off-road... but I have ridden in Montreal" That about sums it up.

I think they keep a pretty close eye on it, even without a fence.

Thanks, Kickstandup. We'll both see how this works out. 3 years to retirement, eh? But who's counting? Glad to have you along for the ride!
  16. Rhode trip

Oddometer:
    That night, we're laying in bed in our Montreal hotel. "They're just not clean enough," Mrs Trip says. "What are we going to do?"
    "Whatever," I said, the poster boy for attention deficit disorder..."maybe a good handjob would help"
    Mrs Trip giggled like a schoolgirl...."We'll see about that..."

So that's what we did, First thing in the morning, we rode here:

[​IMG]

Montreal's finest, where they advertise "The Best Handjob in Town"

[​IMG]

They used some degreaser, and then power washed the bikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeling satisfied, we rode the bikes back to the hotel, carefully avoiding the potholes and puddles, and loaded the gear that we planned to ship with the bikes... miscellaneous tools, bike tarps, our riding gear. All the luggage on there...tank bags, panniers, and our top bags.
    Then back to the freight forwarders... we had to come back later after our first visit... but about 2:30 or so...they were ready. I removed the seats in the parking lot, and carefully disconnected and taped off the batteries and leads.

[​IMG]

...and then pushed them into the warehouse. I had to drain more fuel, like I described in an earlier post, and then they loaded them onto pallets. We walked back to our hotel.
    The next day, we had to hang around until our 10:55 pm flight... which was delayed as they waited for some passengers to get in on a flight from Toronto.
    The Montreal airport is a busy place... with lots of travelers off on holidays.

[​IMG]

Next thing we knew, we were at the Dublin airport... a 5 hour flight... no sleep... a groggy Mrs Trip gets out the paperwork.

[​IMG]

...collected our luggage and a short walk through the airport area to the freight forwarders.

[​IMG]

They looked at our paperwork... the bikes aren't here yet.. then gave us forms for customs..."You need to go to the customs office and get these stamped...and then come back" They gave us directions... a short walk away. We found the address and wandered around in the Kafkaesque office...

[​IMG]

Found the right door, and went in. The agent eyed us suspiciously. Passport, title, Green card insurance. "When will we be leaving?" "And the bikes are leaving with us?" Do we have proof? I showed him our return flight reservations. He's very suspicious, You have shipping arrangements for the bikes? "Well, no, not yet" I said. We may take them to the UK first, and leave them with a friend. If not, we'll take them when we go. "Do you have ferry tickets?" No, not yet. Finally he relented. "OK" He stamped our forms and returned them. He was nice enough, and wished us a pleasant stay after all. The thing is, no one from customs ever looked at the actual bikes, All our cleaning, and nobody cared! I was just relieved to have our forms, and we hurried back to the freight office.
    There was our bikes....

[​IMG]

Mine's leaning a bit on the pallet, but otherwise they look OK. We have to wait for them to bring them out.. and wait, ...and wait. A few people were there waiting to get pets they'd shipped, and it was entertaining talking to them, and then seeing the excited reunions. Finally, they moved the bikes out and unlashed them from the pallets. I pushed them to a parking space and reconnected the batteries. We changed into our riding gear, and replaced it with the luggage we'd carried. Then we were off...riding in Ireland. It was only a couple of miles to our hotel. We rode a short way into the village of Swords, and had dinner and got gas. Then back to the hotel. I found an electronics store online nearby, and rode there to get an SD card reader that I had forgotten to bring. Then a sorely needed rest!

[​IMG]
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess a "handjob" is never really wasted even if it isn't looked at! :lol3
    ben2go and Rhode trip like this.
  18. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Rhode trip, to answer your question about my screen name Passim, it's just from the dictionary, meaning, here or there, everywhere.
    Nothing fancy like the Cambridge Club. :D
    Rhode trip likes this.
  19. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I did this two years ago AC said nothing in the bike. Got to Montreal and the guys there said leave anything you want on it so I did. Also did not wash it but went up there in a rainstorm. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rhode trip likes this.
  20. Stan Dalone

Stan Dalone Where ever I go, there I am!

Oddometer:
    Who doesnt love a good Rhode Trip now an then :y0!:y0!:y0!
    Rhode trip likes this.