When plans change. An airhead story...sort of

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Aug 11, 2019.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    It’s that time of year again, where bikes go on trailers and people dress up for what their idea of a biker is. People come out by the truck full to let their hair down and be something they are not in normal day to day life. You guessed it, Sturgis, biker mecca. Only this year I have no intention on going. The plan is to leave a little early for Colorado Big Dog ride and do some camping along the way. Take it easy and let those bound for sturgis have it all to themselves. I spend days pouring over maps and planning the trip around places that are good for dispersed camping, off the grid for me. Backwoods adventure in true form from the seat of a 1975 R75. A little easy in a life full of hurry. I tell the wife my plans and she agrees that would be a nice way to go.

Issue is I really need to get the bmw off the lift. I have it up and tore apart with big plans on building a skid plate, rerouting the crankcase vent, and build a solo seat with rear rack. I figure I have enough time if a get a little done each day I can make it. First priority is the skid plate to protect form Colorado rocks. In order for that to happen the low hanging, oversized oil pan must go. The idea is if I run out of time the other projects can wait, but the skid is a must. True to form I run in to little things I have to order that puts a halt on the skid plate plan. To keep from wasting time I start the seat idea. I could just order one and pay way to much for bmw parts, or I could salvage old parts laying around to make my own. Bmw build on klr budget. As the seat build starts I run into mental blocks and thus turn to the oil catch can system. In the end what I end up with is a airhead explosion

[​IMG]

I was on a ride with my dad up to Ohio and each day he asked if I was going to Sturgis. It always ended the same, I made an excuse and he would reply “I’m sure going to miss you. Who am I going to hang out with?” Day after day it went own until I called my wife. I run most stuff by her to get another opinion on my thoughts. I rationalize my reason for not going but in the pit of my gut I felt like I wasn’t making the right decision. If I go with Him then that means I have to leave for the trip Friday, a full six days early. A another issue is things at home I was helping out with would be put on Holly. I was in quite the internal struggle. Holly helped me out while I was talking it out with her. I reasoned that this year sturgis would be on dad’s 70th birthday and this could be his last year to go up. Not the he is in bad health or anything but life can catch you by surprise. I knew if that happened I would live with regret the rest of my life. Regret is something I try to stay away from. After listening to my driveling and spilling options Holly said, “you should go be with your dad.” I agreed that was best. So camping and a relaxed pace will be for another time. Especially seeing how my time table has moved up a week and the bike is exploded in the shop.

I have a friend who is hauling his bike up to sturgis with a 18 foot inclosed trailer. I asked him if i could load the airhead for him to haul and I would ride the super glide up. Reason being I can do a full day on the HD while that many miles in a day can wear on the unfaired bmw. This gives me an extra day with the bmw to finish up what I can. With the plan set in motion I should leave the house on Friday to get with in striking distance of Sturgis.

[​IMG]
    Samspade, MickeyDee, Webman and 8 others like this.
  2. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    johnwesley likes this.
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    johnwesley likes this.
  4. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    In.... Though I'm taking off on my own 6week plus Adventure in 2days.
    johnwesley likes this.
  5. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    got anymore pictures of your panniers and how u have them mounted?
  6. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel John. Right now my head is doing explody things. Just got a pacemaker a few weeks ago and now I'm having weird things going on. Trying to figure them out......I don't know though. Don't know if it's related to that. I'm moving magnetic things on my vest away from the left side, supposedly magnets do strange things to pacemaker implants. Have a great ride with your dad.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  7. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Sounds like a good plan.
    johnwesley likes this.
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Here you go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jettn Jim and Amphib like this.
  9. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I have to load the trailer on Thursday since Craig is leaving on Friday. He is kind enough to bring the trailer around to my house. I ride the bike 100 yards to the trailer, it’s the only time I have rode the bike since being on the lift. Seems to be a trend for me. Let’s hope I didn’t screw any thing up to bad.

The next day I leave for Steve’s house for a free room and a great time hanging out with friends. Typically we stay up past midnight watching car and motorcycle shows, but not tonight. I have to make 950 miles the next day to be at the fxr show on Sunday. That doesn’t stop us from having a great time together and a nice mexican supper.

[​IMG]

I leave at 5am and do gas and go all day. Eating out of the tank bag and drinking from my old man cup holder. I have a half gallon jug in the saddle bag that keeps ice all day and lets me do a refill when needed at a stop. Most of the time I pay no attention to the weather until the sky gives me reason. I’m crossing the boarder of Kansas heading into Nebraska when the rían starts to give a little sprinkle and the roads are wet showing that a rain storm had passed through. After about 30 minutes the clouds begin to get dark and it looks like I’m getting wet. About that time the gas light comes on giving me the ok to stop and check out the weather. Radar shows lots of rain ahead but it has already passed by the highway. Good news I really don’t want to put on the rain pants. By the time I hit I80 it shows clear sky’s. Gas and go time again with a nice feeling of beating the weather again. I’m on US81 heading north again when the roads start showing puddles and the cars coming the other direction are running the windshield wipers. That a sure sign that the radar is the end all. About 5 mins and I am in the rain, no big deal I ride right through since I80 is clear. Sure enough it lets up as I close in on the interstate. Then the most odd thing happens. Ten miles down the interstate the bottom drops out. Rain is so hard the cars a slowing to 65 mph and hazards are on. It the wettest sunshine I’ve ever been in. It lasts a good 20 mins before going to just a normal rain. I have no idea why the radar didn’t pick this up but I know wish i would have followed my gut and not Doppler. The fxrt fairing shows its worth during this down pour. Only the out side edge of my legs and below the knee got wet. All told it takes about 13.5 hrs to do the run and the Superglide makes easy work of it. Nice I arrived Dad was ready for supper and so was I. It was great reconnecting with him and hearing about the trip with mom. There wasn’t the smoothest trip over either with some voltage regulator issues. With supper wrapped up I hit Main Street to catch up with some friends and make plans for tomorrow’s FXR show.

Unfortunately i didn’t get any pictures from the day. I had making time my focus and was probably running on adrenaline.

Here’s a couple of pics from the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Just got back off a ride so no update tonight. I will leave ya with a pic which will be a bit out of time but it’s something nice to look at.

[​IMG]
    GAS GUY, MickeyDee, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  11. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    Yeeeaaauuuus... the heart has a huge magnetic field, way leather than our brains and so yes... a short answer to you, is magnetic things affect your heart hugely.
    JJ

You can learn allot here:
    https://www.heartmath.org/
    sandsman likes this.
  12. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Full days in the road, i’ll Get this updated soon. The old r75 is doing great. Used 1/2 quart in 1500 miles with some of that in low gear running jeep trails.

Just a little candy while you wait

[​IMG]
  13. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I leave Sturgis planning on make the 500 mile jaunt in two days. The plan is to head west to Spearfish Canyon and run the back roads toward Silverthorne. The morning was cool and weather perfect to rock the Cousin Jeremy waxed jacket. This is one of my favorite pieces of gear for riding. It just has the old world feel and functions as good as the new tech. It was a bit like traveling back in time with my deer skin gloves, bmw jeans and waxed cotton jacket humming along on a 75’ bmw. The road was clear and the curves rhythmic making for the perfect dance with the old girl. The smooth power delivery and narrow tires made for a entertaining ride. For the most part I ignore the signs until I come to a water fall. Scooting right past it as I thought I should stop and take a look see. I have a habit of getting into the ride and not stopping for the sights which makes for short stories and no pics to reminisce about days gone by. Not this time I flip a u-turn and head back for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I travelled on I slowed down and payed a little more attention to the signs, noticing a Dances with Wolves sign. I turn down a dirt road and travel for about 5 miles until I come to the film location for Dances with Wolves. Not exactly what I had expected, but no need to wast a picture opportunity. The ride to the film site was nice and the scenery worth the trip.

[​IMG]

Yes this is the film site though nothing special, it still happened here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I leave the sounds and smells of Sturgis behind and enter the wide open spaces where I can enjoy solitude and be left to my own thoughts. This old BMW is a very impressive machine. Even in todays times it runs with traffic, gets 180 miles before I need to stop for gas plus has good enough suspension to handle what the road throws at it, all while being comfortable enough to stay in the saddle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I make my way down US18 to WY34 with a little stint of the interstate thrown in for good measure. The R75 tracks well down the big road humming right along at 85mph keeping up with most traffic while some were in a bigger hurry than I was. Turning off the big road onto WY34, a two lane road with a more relaxed pace. A few miles down the road I come across two motorcycles doing well under the speed limit, I followed them until I had a nice place to pass. I noticed the front bike kept looking back at me and seemed to be a bit nervous. As I passed I could tell it was a female and a male behind her. He waved and had a happy look on his face and she gave a quick little wave as to say Hi, but I’m focused here. It all came to gather as I pulled in front. This was a lady learning how to ride on a safe lonely road with her man as proud of her as he could be. It was really cool to have been a witness of a proud monument in life for a couple. I know the feeling of satisfaction I have when riding with my wife. So I can only Imagine how he must have felt. These thoughts carry me though for miles ahead as the I feel blessed to be covered from the sun by the clouds above. It’s like I have my own umbrella girl as I ride down the great little road heading toward the last running of the Dogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With plans of a little hammock camping before i make the destination. I think ahead to what all I need to do before settling in. Fist up is to eat a early supper so I don’t have food around for bears, then make sure I have water to drink and Find the right area to setup. After Walden, I head south on CO125. I cut through some nice national forest with trees all around me. looks very promising for camping. I take a gravel road back just a bit for a nature break. Looking around I see plenty of places for dispersed camping and think this is going to be perfect. I jump back on the bike and head toward Granby for some food and a little oil for the bike. Stopping at NAPA they have VR1 oil that I like to run and good advice on where to eat. Men after my own heart they both recommend a mexican joint that is supposed to be the best food in town.

[​IMG]

Pic of the big glass of Horchata, my favorite drink at mexican places. I lived off this stuff for a month that I was in Mexico. Unlike me I didn’t get food pics. Must have been to concerned with eating.

I use an app for finding camping sites and this app had one west of here about 15 miles or so. The pic had lots of trees in it which looked like an ideal place with a stream running buy it. So after the meal I head west to the camp site. I start to worry some as the trees disappear and I get into what looks like high desert. I finally get to the site and no trees to be seen anywhere. That pic was not from this site. Not too concerned I back tracked a few miles to a river where there were some trees. While driving around everywhere there was a patch of trees they were covered up with tents. Feeling a little frustrated I move own. The gps shows green places I will be traveling through so surely some trees farther south. Ever the optimist, I’m sure it will work out. Each time I see a nice place I also stop and see a sign, “no camping”. You got to be kidding me, no where to camp and I’m getting close to the interstate. I’m sure there isn’t a place once I get into town, thoughts turn to I should have just back tracked up the mountain and camped where I saw the good spots with trees. I call ahead to the motel where the next night I have reservations, only to find out the best rate they have for me is $45 more than the event rate. I was sure I could find a better deal. I called and did the internet booking thing, but there was nothing. By this time it was dark, raining and I was frustrated. I walked into the lobby to get a room and the price she quoted me was now $40 more than before so in total it was $85 more than it would be the next night. WOW gotta love Colorado, seems to many people do. I gave her the story that I was quoted a better price just moments before. She said that I could only get the online prices by booking online. I stated I had called in to get that price and gave her my sad story. She then remembered me as she was the one I talked to. So I was given the phone price and I unloaded the bike in the rain. I know tomorrow will start better than today needed.
    Samspade, Jettn Jim, Webman and 7 others like this.
  14. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    Looooooooooove it John!!
    johnwesley likes this.