It’s that time of year again, where bikes go on trailers and people dress up for what their idea of a biker is. People come out by the truck full to let their hair down and be something they are not in normal day to day life. You guessed it, Sturgis, biker mecca. Only this year I have no intention on going. The plan is to leave a little early for Colorado Big Dog ride and do some camping along the way. Take it easy and let those bound for sturgis have it all to themselves. I spend days pouring over maps and planning the trip around places that are good for dispersed camping, off the grid for me. Backwoods adventure in true form from the seat of a 1975 R75. A little easy in a life full of hurry. I tell the wife my plans and she agrees that would be a nice way to go. Issue is I really need to get the bmw off the lift. I have it up and tore apart with big plans on building a skid plate, rerouting the crankcase vent, and build a solo seat with rear rack. I figure I have enough time if a get a little done each day I can make it. First priority is the skid plate to protect form Colorado rocks. In order for that to happen the low hanging, oversized oil pan must go. The idea is if I run out of time the other projects can wait, but the skid is a must. True to form I run in to little things I have to order that puts a halt on the skid plate plan. To keep from wasting time I start the seat idea. I could just order one and pay way to much for bmw parts, or I could salvage old parts laying around to make my own. Bmw build on klr budget. As the seat build starts I run into mental blocks and thus turn to the oil catch can system. In the end what I end up with is a airhead explosion I was on a ride with my dad up to Ohio and each day he asked if I was going to Sturgis. It always ended the same, I made an excuse and he would reply “I’m sure going to miss you. Who am I going to hang out with?” Day after day it went own until I called my wife. I run most stuff by her to get another opinion on my thoughts. I rationalize my reason for not going but in the pit of my gut I felt like I wasn’t making the right decision. If I go with Him then that means I have to leave for the trip Friday, a full six days early. A another issue is things at home I was helping out with would be put on Holly. I was in quite the internal struggle. Holly helped me out while I was talking it out with her. I reasoned that this year sturgis would be on dad’s 70th birthday and this could be his last year to go up. Not the he is in bad health or anything but life can catch you by surprise. I knew if that happened I would live with regret the rest of my life. Regret is something I try to stay away from. After listening to my driveling and spilling options Holly said, “you should go be with your dad.” I agreed that was best. So camping and a relaxed pace will be for another time. Especially seeing how my time table has moved up a week and the bike is exploded in the shop. I have a friend who is hauling his bike up to sturgis with a 18 foot inclosed trailer. I asked him if i could load the airhead for him to haul and I would ride the super glide up. Reason being I can do a full day on the HD while that many miles in a day can wear on the unfaired bmw. This gives me an extra day with the bmw to finish up what I can. With the plan set in motion I should leave the house on Friday to get with in striking distance of Sturgis.