When they say Mojave National Preserve is closed...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Roadinator, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Current Status of Operations at Mojave National Preserve
    Alert 1 Current Status of Operations at Mojave National PreserveDue to the shelter in place order, all visitor centers, campgrounds, pit toilets and the Zzyzx area are currently closed. Please plan ahead and travel safely. Emergency response times may be much longer than usual.

Heading that way next week. That still means I can ride through the preserve and camp somewhere, right?
  2. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    All disbursed camping, cabins and trails are still open. I'll be staying in one of the cabins this weekend.
  3. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Spending a few days on the road before heading off to some Jimmy Lewis training in Pahrump. Looks like some time in Mojave and Death Valley!
    dino702 likes this.
  4. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    Another thought...
    If I am trailering the bike and passing Mojave, is there a place to safely park the vehicle and trailer while I ride and camp in the preserve? Probably do two days and nights starting Saturday afternoon.

Thanks!
  5. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    -E-, Chillis, slogger and 1 other person like this.
  6. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    That looks legit. I would be leaving the 4Runner and trailer and it would be for two nights. The plan was to go to the place I'm staying in Pahrump the next weekend and ask if I could drop off the vehicle and trailer and scoot down to Mojave for a couple of days and then back up to DV for a few days and then back to the hotel for Jimmy Lewis. Only 90 minutes up and back, so not the end of the world. Just trying to save more time for riding.
  8. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    There’s a partial dirt route between Pahrump and the MNP that goes through Sandy Valley. That’s probably what looking at?
    6DE875E4-F833-4524-BCD0-06EBA9B8BBB9.png
    Davethestick and AZ TOM like this.
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    There are dirt roads from Pahrump to MNP. Single track for some of it. If you look at Google maps there are a bunch of options.

Edit: Stateline Rd gets you to Sandy Valley and from there you can take the dirt road South to the Excelsior Mine road and then take that south over the 15 into MNP.
    dino702 and AZ TOM like this.
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Well, got shutout yesterday as 3 of the cabins I went to already had the flags hoisted on a Friday afternoon. Must have to get there on a Thursday now to lock up a cabin for the weekend.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Roadinator

Oddometer:
    Off to a great start. Went to anza-borrego to pick up a WR250r for the girl friend and had someone cut the straps and steal my tank bank and soft luggage in the evening at the hotel. Removed the valuable stuff and locked it up in the 4runner, but still lost some things. Picked a hotel in palm desert to go to Joshua Tree with her and enjoy some hotel time with her before she hauls the bike back to Flagg. Gotta go get some stuff and keep trucking.
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I found an awesome cabin north of Mojave Preserve but somebody had claimed it. Found another that wasn't being used but you wouldn't want to use it based on condition. Still a neat find though.

14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. The southwest is a beautiful place but also there are a lot of scumbags. It dictates so much of what I do.

I wouldn't even post where I'll be or when. Even on here, assholes will be watching and looking for opportunities to steal.

How many times I've seen where people ask where to park or store vehicles and trailers only to have their gear stolen.
  15. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    WTF? Too close to slab city maybe?
  16. TooTallRacing

TooTallRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice video! How do you like your Monkey?
    Chillis likes this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I love it. Very capable little machine, even if it looks like you are riding a mini bike.

There was a group of dirt bike riders who caught up to me yesterday on a few orange bikes and one Husky. The guy on the Husky was scratching his head as to how I'd went through all of the sand to get there.

I'll be doing some mods to make it more capable here soon.
    TooTallRacing and AzMtnThumper like this.
  18. boyfester

boyfester Urban Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome find! I've found all of the cabins in the Preserve, but haven't seen that one before. What size Denali boot? I may need it.
    Chillis likes this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Have no idea but it was a pair and they actually looked to be in decent shape.
    boyfester likes this.
  20. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The great thing about the Preserve is that primitive camping is so easy, and so scenic. All the many car camping trips I made there in the winter, we rarely stayed in developed sites, and never had a problem finding excellent spots along dirt roads. Head up into the Granite Mountains, or out by Kelso Dunes, or on the Joshua Tree slopes east of Kelso-Cima road. But it's all good, and easy to be completely away from other people.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/primitive-camping.htm
    Chillis, slogger and Bullseye like this.