1. eNewsletter Sign Up

When to change brakes?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Taelan28, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Hey I got a 125cc Daelim Daystar. Its what I need and what I can handle.

Im concerned about the brakes. I've ridden over 10,000km and haven't changed the brakes. When they start to go bad will they cut out quickly or will I have a few hundred km to go before I crash?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Taelan28

Taelan28 Thunder

Oddometer:
    Wtf 54 views and no one can tell me what the warning signs are to change tbe brakes or a mileage number?
  3. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no "mileage number" for brakes- they wear out due to use, not time.

If your bike has a disc brake front, eyeball the thickness of both pads: there should be a thickness spec for them, and many brake pads also have a deep groove across the face of the friction material that's a wear indicator. It's common for one pad to wear much faster than the other; once either one becomes too thin they both need to be replaced together, as a set.

Your bike's rear drum is similar, although to eyeball the thickness of the brake lining the wheel needs to come off first...it's possible that it may have a wear indicator of its' own: it's usually a little pointer on the brake-shoe actuating shaft.

It's RTFM time for more info about how thin is too thin. :deal

Most people just take a peek at the rear brake lining when the wheel's off for a tire, take note if & when it starts getting thin, and then replace 'em... but unless you ride like a pirate, the rear brakes normally last as long as the bike does. :D

Unless it's due to contamination, they do not suddenly "wear out", but the warning signs of waiting way too long is the sound of metal-on-metal when the brakes are used. :cry