When To Turn Around to See What Happened to Your Buddy?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Ray916MN, Oct 15, 2021.

1. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've usually swept in larger group rides because A) I'm very conspicuous with Clearwater Darlas, so the lead rider can see me. If he sees me, everything's good. B) I carry tools & extra gas in MSR bottles as well as a SpotX GPS for comms and a medium-sized first aid kit. C) I've had sufficient first aid training and experience to handle most situations. DAMHIKT.

If I lead, it's only one or two other riders and I ALWAYS keep an eye on the guy behind me, and if possible, on the sweep. I've had one guy go tearing off down an unknown road and I spent a while checking every embankment to make sure he hadn't crashed. He finally came back to see where I was and I struggled not to curse him out. He got the message.

I try to get contact info of the lead & sweep, depending, so I can, should circumstances warrant (hospital, etc.) be able to contact them. Being in a hospital with a concussed friend and not having their contact info is difficult.

If there's a rest stop, the leaders better damn well give the tail guys time to rest before heading out again. One guy got a beesting and we stopped to take care of it. (NOTE: carry beesting ointment!!) The stop sucked up almost ten minutes and when we got to where the rest of the group was, they were ready to leave immediately. Nope. Give us some time to chill, peeps. Be nice or we won't ride with you again. :thumb
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    You didn't have those when you used to sweep for me. :hmmmmm

And I would have to say that you're best sweep I've ever ridden with. And the idea about letting the stragglers rest a bit before taking off is a good one. I'm guilty of taking off as soon as whoever is at the end finally catches up.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  3. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be good if I could see him in the mirror. He is so slow I try to avoid any semi busy roads.
    He's so far back at traffic lights I have to pull over in safe places for him to catch up.
  4. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only one possibility, you are riding too fast for his comfort zone. So you have some choices:
    1. Let him be first, so he can set the pace.
    2. Slow down to his comfort zone.
    3. Get a new riding partner.
  5. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^This.^^

I went to a BARF rally in Quincy and the only peeps that showed up were my wife's cousin and her husband. :D

We had a blast and at one point had three roads to choose from to get to a lunch spot. The shortest route at 8 miles was entirely fire roads. I was on my GSA, her husband was on a newish RT, and she, being short, was on a Honda Rebel 500. She had never done dirt before, ever, at all, and was cautious. Her hubby was kinda leery about his RT on dirt, but was willing to have some fun. Because we were smart, she led the way and took her time. No pushing from either of us and she had a blast. He figured out using the back brake more, and I practiced my lines, did "S" weaves, etc. A ranger drove past us and gave us a smile & thumbs-up. Everybody had a great time, and lunch was great.

Lesson - Let the slowpoke go first. Easier on them and on you. If you HAVE to go fast, go with someone else or by yourself. They won't be mad at you for leaving them behind all the time, and you won't be mad at them for being "slow".
    3sum likes this.