When Were You Young?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kerncountykid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kerncountykid

kerncountykid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34638170?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/34638170">When Were You Young?</a>

I may find these words spat in my face by a cynical teenager in a future that draws nearer; "yeah right, when were you young?" I made this short movie to prove beyond doubt I once was. While old friends empty themselves into mortgages and chlorinated backyard swimming pools, I have held tightly to the selfish pursuit of adventure and inward discovery, mostly on wild back roads, cutting deep switchbacks through the american west. I've slept on strangers couches, built and wrecked motorcycles, played loud music in crowded bars, drunkenly vomited on the streets of Hollywood, swam naked in mountain lakes and prayed with nuns in desert monasteries. As time sweeps past and vanishes behind me, an assimilated, impotent adulthood heaves itself through the ephemeral mist of youth, my restlessness pounded away by the vicissitudes and tides of everyday life. Someday even I may not believe my horizions were once so limitless. It's a mystery to me now what these images might mean to me then.

If you've read my first trip report I apologize, this video contains footage and photo's from 3 subsequent trips I made cross country and never wrote about, including a 6 week, 12k mile journey. All of it was done on a 1974 Honda CB550.
    panhead_dan and flying.moto like this.
  2. thumper447

thumper447 All Hail KTM

Oddometer:
    !Long live the Honda CB550!
  3. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:
    Well done vid. Doesn't look like you are letting life pass you by...
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool video...
  5. rich_e

rich_e n00b

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

At first I was depressed while watching it. Thinking I'm never going to get to do what I want, that I wasted my life by not living it - just existing and getting by. However, I'm sure I did a lot stuff like that, 20, 30 years ago but didn't think to document it. I watched the video again and it must have sparked up some brain cells where those images of my youth were stored. I feel better. I remember exploring the fire roads on my DT175 in Oregon. I remember cruising downtown San Diego on my R5C. I remember squeezing between 18 wheelers on my CB750 on the 710 freeway in San Pedro. I remember ...
  6. kerncountykid

kerncountykid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had the benefit of quick and easy digital photography and friends to document things when they were there. I'm not the first, just one of the few with the means and patience to document all the little adventures everyone has.
  7. Howler

Howler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that video, I really enjoyed it! I love Adventure Rider, every time I think I am the only crazy person that likes to do stuff like this I come here and find like minded people. :1drink
    panhead_dan likes this.
  8. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Nova Scotia. My first bike was a 1973 Honda 350/4. Then a 1974 2 stroke Yamaha RD350. Then a 1975 Kawasaki 900 @ 17 years of age (lucky I'm still alive) In 1977 I bought CB750 Honda and rode it all the way to Key West, 2400 miles, in July with a buddy of mine, stopping to visit my retired Grandparents in Boynton Beach Fl.I have had great MC trips every year since through Canada, USA & Europe.

Watching your movie sure makes me think of what a great life I have had travelling on my motorbikes. I have met some of the nicest people while touring around, Also I have MC friends all over the world who I would have never met, had I been in a car.As I get older I wish the time would slow down abit,its passing way too quickly as I get ready to celebrate my 54th Bday in a couple weeks.I have a dear friend who turned 80 years young last June and is still logging more miles/smiles than most of us.I think the MC keeps him young.He says all the feelings of ageing disappear when he takes his feet off the ground and is moving down the road to wherever.

I thank you for taking the time to make this movie of your life and sharing it with us.Your family will treasure this also.I am going to watch it again.:D
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting that. It's the kind of thing that speaks to anyone who watches.

It makes me want to start creating a record of my own existence in the same way. Thanks again.
  10. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Very Nice Job!
    Keep Riding and Recording.....
  11. rednax

rednax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rayof
  12. hatschky

hatschky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this video.

It just makes me speechless.

remembers me to the times 25 years ago.

Fantastic :clap:clap:clap

Please tell me from them the music is in the vid.
  13. bentrims

bentrims Guest

Great, love it!! At the very end of the video, where your going down the tree lined road, made me lift my hands in in the air as if I was taking my hands off the bars. I was there for a moment. Thanks.
    panhead_dan likes this.
  14. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Great clip on your travels. Thanks for sharing and really did enjoy your trip report. :clap:clap:clap
  15. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Wow. Great video, made my old hide laugh and cry at the same time. Many years and so many adventures came back to the front of my Swiss cheese brain. Thanks.
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Yeah, we were all tourists for a time. Most of us still are!

:wink:
  17. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Your video will be an impetus for me to ride more and not work myself to death in 2012 :clap
  18. jnorton1

jnorton1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like others have said, awesome video.
  19. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well Done
  20. linksIT

linksIT nOObie

Oddometer:
    :freakygreat vid