When Were You Young?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kerncountykid, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that was really cool. I wish I had more pictures of those days when I lived free, with little responsibilities, quit jobs to take off on month+ trips, only came back home when I was broke, and dinner was a can of pork and beans and a can of tuna eaten on the side of the road somewhere far away from home.... Seems we don't realize how special those times are until we look back on them decades later.
  2. Xdream

Xdream Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I share the feelings of all the others here in that thread.

Awesome Video. Thank you so much for posting.

@ bentrims: I did not raise my hands off the handlebar while watching because I was waiting for a deer to appeas out of the trees.:D
  3. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:

Positively Fantastic I'm 57 and still doing it adventure trips etc. but there was nothing like when we did them in our youth so many first... you bring back great memories of my own ..somehow long forgotten, Thanks for sharing with us.

The Dude
  4. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    YOUTH...hmmm! Your video brings back so many emotions it makes me wonder why we all work so hard. Don't you think that the world would be a much happier place if everyone did things like this? :clap WONDERFUL!
  5. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    NICE! :clap Reminds me .... no one ever said I wish I would've spent more time at work when he/she was on his/her death bed.
  6. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not bad.

My wife ask me about the voice of the song. . .
  7. jnorton1

jnorton1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Vaccines - Wetsuit
  8. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very well done. Loved it.:clap

Thank you.
  9. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME style="POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 10px; HEIGHT: 10px; TOP: -9999em" id=twttrHubFrame tabIndex=0 src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/hub.1324331373.html" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>That was indeed a great little video montage, if not just a wee bit melancholy feeling.

This was the first thing that popped into my ancient, nearly fossilized brain (I'm 48)

Pusuit of Happiness- I'm an adult now.

Well, I don't hate my parents
    I don't get drunk just to spite them
    I've got my own reasons to drink now
    Think I'll call my dad up and invite him

I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
    Though there's not many days that I do
    Gotta get up and take on that world
    When you're an adult it's no cliche it's the truth

'Cause I'm an adult now

I'm an adult now
    I've got the problems of an adult
    On my head and on my shoulders
    I'm an adult now

I can't even look at young girls anymore
    People will think I'm some kind of pervert
    Adult sex is either boring or dirty
    Young people they can get away with murder

I don't write songs about girls anymore
    I have to write songs about women
    No more boy meets girl boy loses girl
    More like man tries to figure out what the hell went wrong

I can't take any more illicit drugs
    I can't afford any artificial joy
    I'd sure look like a fool dead in a ditch somewhere
    With a mind full of chemicals
    Like some cheese-eating high school boy

Sometimes my head hurts and sometimes my stomach hurts
    And I guess it won't be long
    Till I'm sitting in a room with a bunch
    of people whose necks and backs are aching

Whose sight and hearing's failing
    Who just can't seem to get it up
    Speaking of hearing, I can't take too much loud music
    I mean I like to play it, but I sure don't like the racket

Noise, but I can't hear anything
    Just guitars screaming, screaming, screaming
    Some guy screaming in a leather jacket
    Wooah!

Sigh. :lol3
  10. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree with what everyone has said....brings back so many of my own memories; although I lived in the UK and had a GT 380 but always wanted a CB 500/4. The music compliments it so well too.

FANTASTIC...thanks for putting it together...:clap:clap:clap

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  11. pboulianne09

pboulianne09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At 54 nearing 55 this does take me back to 1981 on my 78 KZ1000 (I am also lucky to be alive) and some of my trips...no credit card, no spare anything, no tools and not a care in the world...just ride!!!
    Loved the video and the music!!
  12. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved that music as well, and the the vid reminded me of this:

It was 1971. My buddy roomed with me in a low rent apartment in Sunnyvale. He had a 56 Ford pickup. I had a stripped Yam RT1 and my buddy had a stripped Honda 350. That pickup hauled our bikes all over rural California. You see, Redford did a film with Michael J Pollard called Little Fauss and Big Halsey. It was about two motocrossers going from race to race all over Cali. So that's what we did, only we rode enduros. We'd arrive in the paddock of some remote place like Stonyford around midnight on Saturdays. We'd unload the bikes, light a fire, make a bowl of margaritas, listen to Waylon and Willy... Totally plastered by about 2 am, we'd crawl into our sleep bags in the bed of that old Ford.

About dawn the bikes in the paddock started firing up. Hung over, we'd wolf down some cold Dinty Moore, and gear up. Starting around 9ish, we'd roll into the half way gas stop about noon finally feeling better. We'd eat some more Dinty, and saddle up for our second start time. We'd roll through the finish banners about 4, totally filthy and exhausted. The club hosting the race always had a truck bed loaded with iced down beer awaiting us finishers. It was the best beer ever.

We did that for several years aboard many different bikes. The last was in 1981. What a great life! After that careers and family obligations took over and the bikes were gone from our lives for many years.

A couple years ago my buddy bought a KLR. His first bike in years. I had a KTM 950 for about 6 years by then. Seeking our past, we entered the Alcan 5000, which is a TSD dual sport competition I'd done previously in 2006. In fact, another friend from our childhood joined us and my buddies son as well.

It was a great reunion and we enjoyed the race, but it wasn't the really the same. Too much organization and a lot of pressure to meet schedules. So this last September we tried to do better. I shipped a Yam 250R to Salt lake from Boston and he trailered his KLR from Cali. We saddled up and did the CDR together. Maybe 2500 miles, of which about 1500 was dirt roads. It was perfect. Just like old days. We even drank too many Margaritas...

Somewhere in AK during the Alcan 5000:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere in the CDR last September:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your video. You stirred up a lot of fond memories.
  13. stromsavard

stromsavard Serge

Oddometer:
    VERY, VERY cool video!! looks like a movie promotion!!! When I see that kind of video I'm asking myself: Am I loosing my time dreaming about a trip around the world that I would love to do.....C'mon Sergio! Stop dreaming and do it!!!
  14. 000jeremy

000jeremy 1st gear

Oddometer:
    I must say your first 'report' was quite an inspiration a few years ago. I already had the 70's honda but wasnt quite sure what it could mean for me at 60 mph through the desert. I just started writing a report of my own to give a little back to the energy here that pushed me out into the southwest. Its written in a way that Im pretty sure is only meaningful to myself, which is a symptom of much greater issues Ive got in life, but hopefully you can scroll through the images and enjoy their spirit as much as I did yours. We were out there for different reasons Im sure, but were certainly feeling exactly the same things. And on very similar motorbikes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751998
  15. CurDog

CurDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KCK... I wondered where you have been. I so enjoyed your first RR that I kept looking for an update or a sequel. Now, I see that you have been busy riding and documenting your adventures. Great job on the video!! I know that represents a lot of hard work but we appreciate it now and you and your loved ones will appreciate it through the years ahead.
  16. IJM

IJM Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer:
    What a cool video you put together:clap, thanks for putting it out. I really enjoyed the whole flow of the thing, well matched to soundtrack and cadence/feel --
  17. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    Priceless, I really enjoyed that. I'm 22 1/2 going on 56, tour when vacation allows, ride every day I can, too.

Better late than never...

~Paul '84 & 85 CB650 Nighthawks, '08 Wee-strom
  18. BrewMoto

BrewMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this is great. thanks for the report/video (and the great choice of song).
    As a young guy wearing a suit to work 50+ hours/week, this is such an inspiration. I gotta sack up, get out there, and do something with my life --before it gets wasted.

you're living the dream. kudos to you, sir.
  19. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    All these great stories and now this video. Has anyone noticed that this is from a member with only 100 posts (As I write this)?
    Thank you so very much KCK, You are talented.
  20. gnuse

gnuse Ride to Fly

Oddometer:
    Excellent!